My Boss's 1998 Mondial-T--Help! | FerrariChat

My Boss's 1998 Mondial-T--Help!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by sagaponack, Nov 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sagaponack

sagaponack Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    My boss just got a 1989 Mondial-T. He called me in as his "expert". I know the 348 cold and thought it would be the same. WRONG!

Some questions:

1. Where do you jump the battery from?

In the engine compartment there is no red cap with a plus sign on it like in the 348. I assume the cap is gone. Can someone tell me exactly where it is and what it looks like or even better send me a pic?

2. There is a yellow dash light illuminated with a long view of a car and arrrows when you drive.

I switched between sport and comfort mode. It did nothing to the light.

3. The tonneau top grommetts will not snap on the rear. The ones that I am speaking of are right over the rear deck lid. It is quite tight. I think we rolled the convertible top properly but perhaps I did not, Any tips on getting the top down and the tonneau on?

4. I thought this car came with the satin red car cover. If not, what did it come with and where do I get one for him?

Any other general Mondial-T tips for driving this car?

best,

Rob

www.bridgemc.com

Like it alot. Drove like a heavy 95 348 Spider.

2. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    There may be other better ways but I have always jumped the battery by lifting the hood and going directly behind the passenger headlight.
    Please describe more...if the arrows are pointing down beneath the wheels the answer is the auto-shock setting warning light.
    Will not due to tension or cannot because they are broken? Turn the tonneau over and look inside the snap. There are three fingers that will grip the stud and it is very common to have one or more of these broken by someone that isn't patient putting thes on. Easy to reorder from Ferrari and depending on your model, can be cross matched to the snaps under the hood on the 355 spider. (Chrome with a sightly raised bump...) If it is due to tension, this is the order in which I put my cover on.
    1. Snap tonneau behind the seats with the roof up
    2. Lower all Windows
    3. Unlock roof
    4. Lift second spanner while pushing roof back
    5. Make sure rear window is "outside" of closing roof - it will be rolled over the closed top
    6. pull tonneau back and attach rearmost snaps...end of flying buttress
    7. using heel of your hand, gently push the roof fabric away from engine compartment snap studs while using the other hand to raise the snap button and push down on stud
    8. finish the rest of the outside studs
    It did...purchase one from Ferrari dealer, search on ebay or the archives...more than a few companies making these available now

As for other tips...the spare (if you have one) is great for balancing the handling but nice to have the extra space if you leave it at home and take the refill can. I keep mine in the car for rallies and track use only.

Drive daily...a driven Ferrari is a happy Ferrari.

- JMG

3. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The arrows are pointing below the wheels. What does this autoshock warning mean?

How have you fit jumper clamps underneath the cover for the battery in front of the passenger head light?

Thanks again

Rob

4. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob

One more question... What is a spanner?

5. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    The T has adjustable shocks...the idiot light indicates either that there is a problem with the system. Depending on the serial number of his car, he will either have the Motronic 2.5 or Motronic 2.7 controls for the car. If it is the 2.7, he should be able to hook it up to a diagnostics computer and get info. The 2.5 doesn't offer this at the same level. Mondials are notorius for throwing up idiot lights for legitimate reasons as well as not legi like corroded lines etc. After all, the cars are 15 years old now... Have his mechanic inspect the voltage readouts at each shock tower and you can work from there.

I have slim clamp jumper cables...just reach and clip. Once you open it up, you will see what I am talking about...

- JMG

6. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    Spanner...bar that runs from window frame to window frame ont he convertible top.

7. sagaponack

Nov 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Just spoke to Ferrari of Long Island. They say there is no alternate place to jump the Mondial-T. They recommended getting a long screwdriver to hit the POS on the battery and connecting the jumper to the screwdriver. Not a bad idea.

Thanks for your advice.

Rob

8. MondialTCab

MondialTCab Formula 3

Sep 5, 2001
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    John Michael Gross
    That sounds worse than my idea! I will try and take a picture tonight if I have time...going on vacation Wednesday.

- JMG