My carbon fiber engine covers were painted over ! | FerrariChat

My carbon fiber engine covers were painted over !

Discussion in '360/430' started by neil e dale, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    Hello! I found out from a prior owner/mechanic that my F430 spider CF engine covers were painted over as the prior owner noted they were turning yellow! Can I get the black paint off and refinish them to their normal CF appearance? THX , Neil

2. autowerks9

autowerks9 Formula 3
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2009
    North Wales, Pa.
    Full Name:
    David S.
    You should be able to. Assuming the surface was just prepped for paint and then shot on top of the resing. The issue with the yellowing on the original panel is the resin. You should be able to remove the paint and work to remove the bad resin that is more than likely underneath. Depending on the depth of the yellowing of the panels would depend on how much resin would need to be re-applied. In some mimir cases some have gotten away with several layers of automotive clear.

There is a small area where the rear small panels overlap the larger panel. You can always take some Acetone in this area and look to remove some of the paint to inspect.

David

TooFast355, flash32 and neil e dale like this.
  3. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    here's a photo ! painted over CF ! hard to believe ! Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

If you hadn't told me it was CF, I guess my first reaction would be "hey, that looks quite nice". Depending on the prep/paint which was applied, you probably still have panels which are considerably lighter than the non-CF versions --- so its not like you suddenly have a boat anchor attached to the car. I had a CF roof on my 348 targa. I didn't like the matte finish and had it lightly sprayed black. In my case, the lightness of the material trumped the 'look' of a weave.

Having said all that, carefully strip, prep, and refinish. They'll look fine.

p.s. The engine bay looks fantastic just as it is!

5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I just had my airbox covers reconditioned due to yellowing. They will try to sand away the paint and the yellow resin and reclear. However, if that doesn’t work they can re-skin the panels with a single layer of 1x1 cloth to match the factory exactly. The pics are an F40 or F50 part before and after a re-skin.

Contact Evan at MACarbon

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tifosi101 likes this.
  6. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'll echo what David said. I have experience of this process and it really depends on the depth of affected resin. In extreme cases the resin between the fibres is yellow and there's no restoration possible at that stage - it would be a re-skin.

neil e dale likes this.
  7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This may be a long shot but are you sure the panels are CF to begin with and that the message was misunderstood to mean some other part? The reason I say is because the panels have the Ferrari decals on them and it would be an unusual additional step for those to be ordered and re-applied after painting the panels. Of course painting the panels is unusual but it may be worth a look to make sure the panels are indeed carbon to begin with.

Should they turn out to be carbon you can take them off and give them to a body shop to have them stripped and re-cleared. Not a huge deal and fairy easy and cost effective to do.

neil e dale and Dave rocks like this.