My Corvette Daydream | FerrariChat

My Corvette Daydream

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Texas Forever, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I need a new drug. I have not had a sports car in over five years. Here are the dream parameters:

* It must be a fun car. This will NOT be a track car. While it could be a DD, primary use will be tooling around on back country roads. Not cruising the strip or trying to impress strippers.

* I would prefer around 350 hp and lots of torque. Did I say lots of torque? Good, because it will need lots of torque.

* It must have a stick. Purely personal preference. I don’t want to hear the pros and cons. I just want a standard transmission.

* It needs to be reliable. I’m not a mechanic, and I don’t want to become one.

* It must have no more than two real seats. I also prefer a hard top because I wear hearing aids.

* It must look cool as hell.

* Total cost can be no more than $40k, all in.

Needless to say, there is no way a Ferrari will fit the bill.

With this in mind, here is my Corvette daydream:

First, look at the pics of the 2004 Maserati I used to own. Not only was it a fun car to drive (gotta love a V8), but it was drop dead gorgeous. Problem is Maseratis are rumored to be bottomless pits. Once in, you’ll never see the light day again. Plus, finding a six speed is almost impossible.

Second, consider a 2003 Anniversary Corvette like the one in this ad:

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2003-corvette-convertible/6327344314.html

It has burgundy paint like my old Maser. The interior will need a major redo, however. Granted, it’s a Vette. So I’ll be hanging around people who are missing teeth and like to eat at Waffle House. Can’t have everything, I guess. Moreover, I’ve never owned a Corvette, so maybe it’s time to check that one off the bucket list.

What do you think?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  2. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    of2worlds likes this.
  3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Can you get into C6 Z06 for $40k? They should be close or under. Awesome torque and power. Coupe only, good trans, interior is typical Vette.

4. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    "missing teeth and waffle house?" Not really what I associate with one of the most successful marques in racing with a long and storied history and some truly iconic cars. But, hey, good luck with your search.

lashss and k wright like this.
  5. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    If you have a $40k budget, why not buy a c7? Infinitely better car.

Excuse me, have to get back to gumming my waffles.

k wright likes this.
  6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
  7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I believe C6 Z06s are under $40k. But, I like the C5 shape better. Plus, the 2003 50th anniversary car is already burgundy. It is also worth noting I'm "going up the country." No more suburban/city life for me. This means most of my driving will be on two-lane country roads, many with no shoulders, and lots of blind corners. I won't have use for a lot of power.

9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Sensitive are we? I was just poking the tiger a bit. I suspect many here don't consider a Corvette to be an exotic.

10. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I just don't like the way a C7 looks. The angry insect look doesn't work for me. This is not a fault of just the C7. There are damn fine new cars I like, including Ferraris.

BTW, gumming is the best part. :)

11. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I get it. I never warmed up to the c5's. I know they're great cars, just don't care for the softness of the styling.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I have said it before and I'll do it again. The C5 Z06 is the perfect car for what you describe. I have over 100k mile in one and found it to be one of the most fun cars to drive on a daily basis. Even has a trunk that you can put stuff in. Plus you can pick a really nice, low mile version up for mid $20k and have money left to put Caravaggio interior in it.
    https://www.caravaggiocorvettes.com/c5-interior-1

k wright likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yeah, kinda leaning that way. What do you think of the Craig's List car?

But, my plan is is match my old Maserati's interior. It helps that the interior is burgundy. But the interior will need a complete redo, up and including the "fat butt" seats in the Maser. No more sport seats. :)

Also, I need to find a clock. The clock is what makes the Maserati shine.

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Well then the stock seats just might be the thing for you. The gripe was they had no lateral support for track driving. So should not be an issue for you. As for the clock, I am sure it can be done in a vette but at what costs? If that is the thing for you then scratch the vette and look for an Aston. Not sure if you can get one that is nice for under $40k though. Never bothered to look.

15. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    The 03 vette you posted is a nice car but its a convertible. You said you wanted a hard top. So which is it? You need to go drive one and then make the decision.

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I can live with a drop top as long as the wind noise isn't too bad. I can always put in a battery clock. :)

17. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  18. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What? You don't want to cruse the strip nor impress strippers??

After you reach a certain age those things are no longer important.........Although I still drive down the strip every so often but normally for a purpose.

of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  19. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have a 2000 C5 convertible that I ordered new. I bought it as a replacement for a 348. For a while I didn't drive it because I pined for a V12 Ferrari. Now that I have my 550, I'm driving the Corvette every day. Only 345HP, but only 3500 lb, too. Not that bad for the streetlight drag strip, and it hooks up well in corners and has enough torque for power oversteer on the on ramps. Yeah, little things do keep breaking, but I just fix them and keep going. Sales prices are about $12,000 at best, so no point in trying to sell it.

WJHMH and Texas Forever like this.
  20. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no strippers or waffle house?!?

have some fun, man. live a little.

21. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, waffles are not the only thing that can be gummed.

22. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I used to own a GranSport. Based on what you’ve written, buy the Corvette. The Maserati will become a huge money pit. Sounds like you’ve been there done that too. Enjoy the trouble free relatively inexpensive car that you can beat on all day long and get fixed for $500 at Bubba’s Garage. You can also dress them up with some nice aftermarket seats and an exhaust. Been contemplating the same thing myself...

Scott

23. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have owned lots of things (even a 2003 Maserati Coupe) including Corvettes (C5, C6, and C7 my favorites), and I would agree that the C6 Z06 would be my choice at the price you want to spend. Hopefully the owner took of those terrible runflats. I also hope you can drive since the Z06 can get away from you pretty quickly if you do not know what you are doing, and with the runflats on that pretty quickly comes ever quicker. I did a lot to my Z06, but with some suspension work, short shifter and a new steering wheel (I always have custom wheels made), and of course the right wheels and tires, you will have a very nice sports car.

24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks. Problem is I like the looks of the C5 better than the C6. Yeah, I know.

I like the idea of a smaller steering wheel. Makes it easier to miss my gut, :)

I drove the C6 Z06 with run flats at Bondurant, interesting.