My crown wheel & pinion gear is worn on my 208 gt4 | FerrariChat

My crown wheel & pinion gear is worn on my 208 gt4

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by csmn, Jul 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. csmn

csmn Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Claes Magnuson
    #1 csmn, Jul 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If it's not making a terrible noise or affecting driveability I would be tempted to leave it as is. What sort of mileage has it done?

3. csmn

csmn Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Claes Magnuson
    The meter says 48xxx km, but I'm not sure. I did not hear any bad noice from the gearbox. The gearbox is out of the car becouse a long story that ended with rebuild heads... oil smoke, it was just the valve-seals that was stucked on the valve-shaft. But I do it all anyway. New stainles valves, new guids and so on.

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    IMHO, for whatever its worth, the gear teeth look pretty good excepting the chips at the ends. No big pits, no galling or swipe marks. By the looks of what i see, if I had to guess, is that something went through the gears at some point in its past. But a closer examination would be a great benifit, perhaps even some prussion blue to see the tooth loading footprint. Someone who get thier pysical eyeballs on it would be the best. Anyone who is good with gearboxs should be able to tell you thier thoughts, but in the end you are the one who has to make the big decision.

If the teeth fail, you can probably kiss the gearbox goodbye. Its going to do a lot of damage. OTOH, the gears themselves are NLA so your going to have to find a used gearbox anyway. No one with to much brains is going to sell those gears out of a good gearbox. Then you have the work required to R&R the gearbox. Flip a coin my friend. Myself, from what I can see, I would probably run it for now, and keep my eyes peeled for a spare gearbox.

5. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Overall I would say that the cost of overhauling your gearbox is about the same as fixing it should it break.

Bearing in mind the rarity of 208 gearboxes, I would suggest leaving well alone and enjoy the car.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    get the backlash checked to see how much wear there is. I also would run until it broke since it's going to be expensive no matter what. I can also get gears re-made, not that hard really it's just a cost problem. low run one-offs are expensive!