My exhaust kills small animals. Normal? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My exhaust kills small animals. Normal?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Sep 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    That sounds more like it. I was windering how you got the thing to run at all on .40's with an ansa!

Birdman

2. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Several have posted DYNO numbers here for older cars and new QV cars. A properly tuned 76/77 car should have ~190+RWHP and a QV about the same. The later carb’d cars have different cams, more emissions equip. and therefore will have less power unless some modifications are done. The FI cars are the weakest of all.

I’ve never had mine dyno’d but I was considering it after I rebuild the carbs this fall. I know they need to be done. But two others who have 78 and 79 cars drove mine, and they both commented that mine definitely had more get up and go then there’s did. And both had cars that were in proper tune.

Ferrari quotes 255BHP for all the carb’d cars, 205 for the FI cars and 235 for the QV cars. The number for the QV cars is the only one that’s correct on US cars. The 255 is correct for Euro cars but the US cars never had that much power. The FI cars had closer to 195BHP

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is wrong! But a common mistake. The early North American carb cars (75-77) were rated around 240hp. The 78-79 carb North American spec cars were rated at 205hp. The early 2valve FI cars were also rated at 205hp, but were commonly thought to be more realistically, around 180-190 hp.

Dave

4. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Could be the dyno, but on any Ferrari over 15 years old, I would suspect the distributors are not advancing, and would have those checked first. Here in the NW, we have tested lot's of various Ferraris, and that was the most common cause of cars that did not meet their HP numbers.....

Davfe

5. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    That's what I said before (240BHP) and I also said that 255BHP was correct for the Euro Carb's cars only.

~190+RWHP = Rear Wheel Horse Power. Using 17% loss quoted here many times = ~225+BHP (or CLOSE to 240BHP). Read the whole post before you correct someone.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Nothing is wrong with your car, or mine. They do all do that without thermal reactor, and w/o air pump.

7. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    this is normal for a 70's car. I have the same problem and everything is set right. I love the smell if I didn't i would get a prius!

Bring on the next Ice age!!!

8. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    LOL! i started to laugh as soon i as i saw the title of this thread.LOL!!

9. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    LOL! i started to laugh as soon i as i saw the title of this thread.LOL!!

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    no soot, no runny eyes here. carb 308, 55 idle, 135 mains, 200 air, no cats or airpump, has ansa and k&n filter. i am ordering , through a friend a set of 4 air cleaner with individual k&n air filters. his carb 308 has them ( we put them on last sunday) and there was a remarkable difference. one thing i learned that is critical is that with the o60 idle jets, you cant get the idel screws out very far, where as with the 055, ( i am using them now) i can have the screws backed way out and the car runs great and not rich. my plugs are all perfect as far as mixture goes ( ngk bp5es ?) it important to understand that the idle mixture screws also let in MORE AIR as well as fuel. the 060 's are too much for my car. all the backfiring and popping is gone now also. see my ad on ferrariads and the collector car trader. i want a carb boxer, the 308 will be driven and cared for until it sells or is traded in.

11. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Michael
    Great photos!
    There has been discussion in the past here on the value of the stock air box with cool air ducting versus individual carb filters as you show. Empirically (and Ferrari must think so as well) the cooler air would be better for hp and response than the individual filters.
    You say below that there was a remarkable difference - was that just in drivability, power, response or simply mixture control? Could you tell us comparatively what the difference was?

Anecdotally in my case at least, my carb'd car felt MUCH peppier with the stock air box off, and on the dyno showed as much as a 14 or so rwhp increase (definitely noticible depending on jetting) without the box. Now we've all endured the endless K&N threads and don't want to go back there and rehash, but I would be very interested in you and your friend's experiences with the separate air filter boxes as part of me wants to believe that an increased airflow with individual freer flowing filters would overcome any temperature effects.

Many thanks, and just tryin' to think out side the (air)box,
    rt

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ah, I see I did miss you last sentence...but you confused me, as you are mixing EURO and North American specs in the previous sentence:

"Ferrari quotes 255BHP for all the carb’d cars, 205 for the FI cars and 235 for the QV cars. The number for the QV cars is the only one that’s correct on US cars. "

According to a couple reference books I have read (admittedly these are not always the gospel):

Euro 308's were rated:
    75-79 255hp
    80 230hp
    81-82 214 hp
    83-85 235-240

North American 308's were rated:
    75-77 240hp
    78-79 205hp
    80-82 205hp (but considered actually lower)
    83-85 230-235hp

Dave

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the car sounded, and drove much MUCH better. the throttle response ( difference) was VERY noticable. i am aware of the fact that cooler, denser air is a better idea. i drive my car as a toy, in very little traffic, so its not going to ' soak" with the heat. the carb sounds are well worth the trade off with warmer air. i also feel that k&n filters allow more dirt ect in your engine. but frankly, i dont really care as i change the oil every 3 months or so , excluding miles. for those that drive thier cars in heavy traffic with the a/c on, i could see these filters as not bieng ideal. but for my use they will be just right!

oh yes, just my thoughts , but i believe he stock box restriccts flow at higher rpm, its a trade off since the car is meant to be allowed to drive in all sorts of weather. i feel the carbs will suck in cool air from the low pressure area created by the back of the car at normal speeds. the sloots should not allow too much rain into the back that i wont beable to drive it if caught in rain, i wont go out in the rain on purpose in the ferrari, again for my use i think they will work well.
    i am also wondering if the additional air from the now open air cleaner duct to the engine compartment will make any difference in cooling. will update if i see any difference.

14. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Can you share how much for the filters, etc and source?

15. jfrazar

jfrazar Karting
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed

Jun 26, 2004
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe Frazar
    Hello everyone. My name is Joe Frazar. Mike's picture of the K&N Filters on the Carb 308 is my car. Some explination might be justified. My primary reason for installing these was to make fine adjustments on my carbs. After taking the airbox off 3 times I had to find a better way. I must say I saw some nasty things said about using individual filters on a carb 308. Forced induction lost, hot air - all that kind of stuff. I call BS on that. Look at the size of the air inlet to the air box vs. the size of the carb throats alone. I could go on. I have run individual filters on many cars I have had with carbs. The sound, the response, ease of adjustment ect. and it can all be put back to stock in 30min if needed.

Installation was easy. I called pierce manifolds in Ca. I ordered the k&n filters for DCNF's 2 1/2 inch tall. The stock air box gaskets slip right in on the bases and the velocity stacks slide right in. Bolt it up, oil the filters, snap on the lids. DONE. Cost was $26 per filter.

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Michael,
    It might appear that this is the case, but they don't control air. The idle mixture screw only controls the amount of fuel that reaches the #1 progression hole, which is the one that controls the mixture for idle only (i.e. when the throttle plates are completely shut). It might appear to control the air too because as you adjust the mixture screw, the engine speed will change imperceptibly and you will see a different flow on your flowmeter...but the screw is not adjusting airflow directly.

The idle jet also feeds the entire progression hole circuit. Selection of the idle jet itself is the ONLY adjustment you can make on the other progression holes. They get "undiluted" fuel straight from the jet, so the adjustment screw makes no difference to them. So as soon as you step on the gas, you are now getting a mixture that is 95% based only on your idle jet selection, not the position of the idle mixture screw. This is why you can install idle jets that are generally too rich, but make the car idle with a good mixture by closing down the idle mixture screws. Conversely, you can have idle jets that are a tad too lean, and open up the idle screws all the way and (sometimes) get the mixture rich enough to run OK. But if the idle jets are way too lean, opening up the mixture screw all the way won't help you, because you are limited by the amount of fuel that goes through the jet before it reaches the adjustment screw.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that the .55's worked on your car. I'm just wondering if you know why, because they weren't working before your carb rebuild. Did you have a vacuum leak, causing a lean condition, hence the popping through the carbs? You may find that with individual air filters, the increased flow will actually require going back to the .60's. I would be curious to hear what happens.

I have been following the ongoing debate between the airbox versus the individual filters for a while and I think both sides of the discussion have excellent points (i.e. better airflow versus cooler air) but I have never seen anyone actually do a test of the same car on a dyno with both set-ups and post the results. Therefore, it's all opinions at this point. We need to do a scientific test on this!! I would love to switch over to individual filters simply for the ease of being able to work on the engine without that damned airbox always in the way of everything. I don't even care if it makes more HP, just as long as it doesn't cost me any. :)

I'm very glad to hear that you have your car running well now. I'm just bummed you are selling it so soon!!

Birdman

17. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    In three chassis dyno runs as I was setting up my jetting, I had one run with open air horns, one with just the airbox and NO filter and one with airbox and K&N filter.
    Best I remember with the jets I had at the time, the airbox with no filter lost about 5-6 rwhp over the open air horns, and the airbox with filter lost 10 - 12 rwhp over open air horns.

The dyno technician said he had seen this before, and that it was best addressed with a hole saw......

best
    rt

18. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    one thing about dyno runs, there is no ram air effect. i believe there must be some advantage to having the carbs pull the cool air in through the SLATS in the engine compartment, as well as having the other air cleaner opening allowing more air into the engine compartment.
    as Birdman implied, i am almost positive i will have to retune the carbs for winter weather and the addition of the open air cleaners when i order / get them. i have driven in and ridden in Joe Frazar's carb 308 throughout his tuning process and there was a definative seat of the pants change. i also loved the sounds the carbs make, which is amplified by the open air cleaners. really, as old and slow as my 308 is, it aint no race car, but i feel this will be a cheap , fun addition to the car. i really could care less if it sells or not, i will keep playing with it until i get too bored with it. i may go with 060 idle jets ( and i already have them), but i want to look into emulsion tube changes as i have an idea i would like to try.... more on that later. michael

19. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Perhaps someone remembers the thread better than me, but some clever reputable FChatter actually measured the ram air at highway speeds and found the increased air pressure in the box to be marginal, and even barely measurable. Don't know how accurate it was, but if it's on FerrariChat, it must be true, right? (Just kidding).

20. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Michael,
    I have .60 idle jets on my 79 308, but the mains are 130, with 200 air corrector. My car has not cats' or air pump. It idles great now, and has pretty good low end power. It's a pretty big difference between the .55s and .60s
    Jim

21. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I recall the discussion you're referring to and you're right--speaking theoretically (disregarding pulling air from a high or low pressure area on the car's body), I calculated once the effect of ram air to be about the difference between a "good day" and a "bad day" at the track in terms of barometer. I forget how many inches of Mercury it was, but it was about the swing of the baro. At 100mph. Ram air isn't all that important, but I'm a big fan of cool air. However, for recreational, spirited driving it might not be a major issue. I'd plumb a nice, big hose from that air duct on the side! I've wanted to design a system that would essentially give you an airbox mounted to the engine cover, but there would certainly need to be some effort given to accounting for relative movement.

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    RT,
    Did you do this with the engine cover open? You wouldn't get the effects of the warm engine bay heating the air before hitting the carbs if you had the cover open, as most dyno testing is done.

Birdman

23. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've always thought an interesting alternative would be to design a plexiglass (see-through) air box, or air box cover. You'd still have the ram-air effect, but could also see those beautiful carbs.

Do you think this is possible?

Dom

24. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Forza issue #48 has an article titled "The Scientific Method", which discusses a carbed 308GT4 being restored by Carobu Engineering. According to this article, removing the airbox lid is counterproductive to power. They also found thair switching from the stock paper filter to a K&N resulted in a slight decrease in overall horepower.

Dom

25. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Bird,
    Yes, exactly - the 3 dyno runs were made bonnet open to quantify airbox, filter losses and A/F changes as I wasn't thinking (at the time) of going without a stock airbox and filter. However, the road test was made with stock air horns and without the airbox entirely and bonnet down on the roads of America one night. While I can't quantify, there was sure a qualitative difference in response and 'umpf' on throttle application that just made me giddy with glee - I didn't want to get out of the car. With the box and K&N, the response is still way better than the previous Kjet FI, but also definitely muted and not as 'edgy' as the open system. Of course I would never routinely drive around sans airbox, but no kiddin', the seat of the pants difference is quite remarkable.
    best
    russ