My experience owning a Ferrari 360 Spider F1 after 7 months of ownership | FerrariChat

My experience owning a Ferrari 360 Spider F1 after 7 months of ownership

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Oct 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #1 whatheheck, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First things first. My intent for this post is to share my experience. Im not here to argue with anyone nor am I stating this is the norm for these cars. ‘Posting just to share my personal experience with my 360.

I joined F Chat about 8 years ago. I have always dreamed of owning a Ferrari one day so I joined here in 2006 and just started reading. I didn’t post much, just reading & educating myself about these cars as I plan on making my dream come true one day. I learned here that these cars are very expensive to repair and maintain so I started saving money not just for the car purchase but also for maintenance and repairs.

After owning a few BMW’s (including an M5 and two M6’s (coupe, then convertible)) I decided early this year its time to make my dream come true.

My dream car that I can afford was a 2003 360, I wanted a convertible with an F1 transmission. I wanted red exterior and black interior, low mileage and in pristine condition. I also wanted one with Tubi preinstalled already as I love Tubi exhaust (I had them on my M cars), upgraded stereo system and aftermarket wheels as I am not a fan of starfish wheels.

Early Feb this year I found a 360 for sale in California that met my criteria. 2003 Spider, F1, pristine condition inside and out, very well cared for, all service records included including window sticker price, Tubi exhaust, aftermarket wheels, etc with only 10,000 miles. Very reputable seller, carfax checks out, PPI done by the Ferrari dealer in San Jose and passed PPI with flying colors. Clutch life was at 49%.

The car was driven mostly in California stop and go traffic, hence the reason for medium clutch wear.The only thing it needed was wiper blades and new brake pads to which the previous owner took care of before I took possession.
    After phone negotiations we agreed on a price, I flew to California, the car checks our as the seller described so I bought it and drove it back to Seattle with me. What an amazing drive back. My face hurt from smiling. Driving experience on the 360 is just phenomenal. Especially I drive all my cars the way its designed and meant to be driven.

Just like any other car I bought in the past, first order of business is an all fluid flush. Took it to the only dealer in Seattle. That was $2K for an all fluid flush. Again, I knew going in these cars are expensive to repair and maintain so I accept the costs. Don’t have much choice as not very much reputable F indy mechanic in Seattle area available.

A month after ownership I smelled gasoline on the passenger side. Back to the dealer. Dealer stated your right fuel pump is cracked and needs replacement. They stated this is common to these cars at this age, plastic parts do fail due to not only age but also extreme temperature changes. That was $2,500.00.
    A month later wipers quit working and I get a hood ajar light. Back to the dealer. Hood latch mechanism failed. Its actually the micro switch only that failed but its replaced as an entire assembly. That was $500.00.

Last month I smelled gasoline on the driver side. Sure enough, left fuel pump failed this time, and their leak test also showed 2 of the 4 roll over valves are cracked. So I told them to go ahead and replace the driver side fuel pump and replace all 4 roll over valves. Dealer said Capote Roof has to come off to replace the roll over valves on a Spider. That repair was $4,000.00. So in 7 months ownership I have spent almost $10K in maintenance and repairs.
    Again, not complaining, and I am not saying this is the norm either. Just stating facts and sharing info and my personal experience.

I love to drive. Driving relaxes me so I drive my car every chance I get. In 7 month ownership I already put almost 8,000 miles so my car now has 18,000 miles. Note: the car was not abused by the previous owner. It was driven in stop and go traffic in California. At 18,000 miles my clutch wear is now at 80% and the car starts to pop out of gear at high RPM gear shifts. New clutch is between $6K - $9K as quoted by 2 Ferrari dealers and one independent mechanic. I will be getting my clutch replaced soon.

Once more, I am not stating my experience is the norm for these cars, nor trying to scare anyone from owning one, each car is different, and I knew going in these cars are expensive to repair and maintain so I am prepared for it and I accept that the dealer prices are high so I just pay it and I just keep making the money to sustain my passion for driving. Yes I do get the FCA 10% discount so that pays for sales tax.

Summary: I love my 360. The best car I have ever driven and owned. The smile this car puts on my face every time I drive it is priceless. Everything I spend on her I consider money well spent. Just like the money I spend for my wife and son = worth every penny.

Peace to all of you.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

pnoyR35, JRE and D3ROSA like this.
  2. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Awesome post god bless and continue to enjoy in good health!!!

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You're doing it right Dan! Keep it up!

4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Half of the issue I bet is your car had only 10K miles, not quite enough to ensure that the previous owners were keeping the car in running condition at all times. Parts age just as bad when not used routinely as when overused.

The upside I can tell you after owning mine for a few years is most of these costs and issues are dealt with in the first year of ownership. There will be other old parts that need to be replaced from time to time, but the fail rate should get manageable (in addition to routine 1 and 3 year services and replacing of wear parts).

You have the car nearly sorted out and so you should now enjoy it for a good while since you went through the trouble of getting it serviced and into tip top shape.

5. dhari

dhari Karting

Jan 24, 2011
    Vancouver,Canada
    Full Name:
    Deepak Hari
    Awesome post! Glad you are level headed about this and accept the cost of ownership.
    Keep on enjoying the car!

6. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Excellent post. Thank you

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hello Dan. A civilized, thoughtful and welcomed post. Many years of health and happiness with your car and family. Keith

8. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    You may also consider looking for an alternative repair shop. This summer, I had to replace a fuel pump as well and it was $1500 p/l.

9. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Dan,

Thanks for sharing your experiences thus far, I always enjoy reading your threads. Sorry to hear about your fuel pumps and your clutch. Glad to know that, like my own experience, high cost maintenance / repair invoices don't detract from your ownership experience.

The one thing that has, for me, detracted a bit is the longish wait for parts. Last year, my car spent June in the mechanics garage waiting for exhaust parts. Missing out on prime driving weather is the worst feeling.

10. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Man you really need to find a good indie mechanic. The clutch change at the local indie ferrari shop in NJ is around $4k - $5k. The belt service is $2k including parts

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thank you very much!

Dan

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Kevin!

Wife and I are going on vacation next year to Hawaii. Lets try and meet up for lunch or dinner. My treat!

Dan

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thank you very much for sharing your kind thoughts.

Dan

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Deepak!

Dan

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks!

Dan

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Many thanks Keith!

I have family in Raleigh. Next time I visit them lets try and meet up for lunch and talk cars. My treat.

Dan

17. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    thats seems right..i spent about 20k in maintenance in 2.5 yrs of 360 spyder ownership. Now had a 430 for a year this month and no issues yet. Doing my annual fluids next week at ferrari dealer and that was quoted at around 800

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Unfortunately the indy shops closest to me is 3 hours away and they charge just about the same as the dealership.......

Thanks for chiming in.

Dan

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Raj,

Many thanks for your kind words.

I hear you on parts ordering. Every time my car needs parts the dealer tells me it takes 3 weeks as it comes from Italy. They said they can expedite the parts delivery for an additional $300.00 to which I politely decline.

Dan

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Your lucky, there's not very many indy mechanic hear that works on Ferrari AND owns either an SD2 or Leonardo.........

Take care.

Dan

21. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Congrats on your F430! Hopefully my next car is a F430.

Dan

22. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Am new to ownership ( 2 mos). My '03 360 coupe had 17,400+ miles when clutch and flywheel were replaced (<20% clutch life and popping out of gear). So, we're kind of close. Am wondering if this is the "norm" (although I've read clutch wear varies depending on style of driving). My car is also in pristine shape, ie., didn't look like it was abused by previous owner(s).

Great post btw. We only live once.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Ron, it appears when clutch life reaches 80% its time for a new clutch as that's the time it pops out of gear.

Can you share which shop replaced your clutch?

Ron Tonkin Ferrari of Portland and Craig of The Jag Shop both quoted me the same figures. Around $7,000.00.

Dan

24. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #24 Ron328, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

Hi Dan. I purchased my car at Maserati of Sacramento (great dealership!) last June. From their asking of $87K +, we agreed on $85K to include new clutch, flywheel, and all brakes/rotors. They would have taken 82K but w/o the aforementioned works. (It's last major done by the same dealership was in Dec 2013)

Am glad to just have paid 3k for all the works as I found out that a new clutch is $6282 and flywheel $1800 @RTGT. The independent who did my PPi (Salerno Motorsports in Sacramento, another great shop) quoted $5k just for the clutch kit. Rear brakes (pads/rotors) $1430.

I am really very happy with the car. But like you, I know it is not going to be cheap. Am taking it to RTGT for future needs.

Ron

25. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Great honest and frank write up.
    Those prices spun me out.
    Cambelt service $800NZ
    Clutch $3500NZ
    Fluids, front brakes pads, inlet gaskets and general check over $1130NZ