MY EXPERIENCE WITH DODGE VIPERS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

MY EXPERIENCE WITH DODGE VIPERS

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bryanc4, Oct 20, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The build quality may be poor, it may have a stupid gearbox, it may not have 'traction control' (feather the throttle maybe?)...Doesnt make it neccecary a bad car. damn good fun though. 8 litres + RWD.

2. ColomboV12

ColomboV12 Rookie

Feb 22, 2006
    so you like abuse....ahhh If you bought a newish/used Ferrari you would be typical...a non track kinda of (at best) bench warmer who is preserving the car you own for a future Driver or (the most common) a posure who drives the car purely as a status symbol.

The Viper is meant for men to drive. I have had a 1996 GTS, not a friendly car, and yes Viper owners too fit in the above categories.

3. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    Had a 2006 Viper coupe. Most rock solid car I've ever driven at high speed. Had it up over 185 mph on the freeways. Would never EVER take the 360 up that fast, it just doesn't feel quite the same.

The Viper hides the speed you're travelling so well, it's like you're wrapped in a fighter pilot cocoon.

However it does heat up, the suspension is clunky and jumpy, and while tuned for track/hi-speed it doesn't take lower speed stuff very well.

The Viper does plaster a smile on your face, but that smile fades eventually due to the shortcomings of the car. Not quite as fast as it would fade with a Vette. With the 360, the smile is there always all the time.

Also people think the Viper is really neat when they see it, but peoples reaction to seeing the Fcar is akin to witnessing an alien spaceship landing lol.

4. brainbizz

brainbizz Karting

Oct 27, 2006
    OK
    Owned a viper for 6 months. Loved the overall styling but the car just did not do it for me. Not bashing it just felt it was nothing special. I have not driven a new one but they lost me. It just fell way short in comparison to my CS. Apples and Oranges but thats life.

5. TCT

TCT Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2004
    USA
    Having owned 4 and a current owner of a slightly modded 01 GTS ACR you assessment is a bit harsh.

They are what they are...insaine beasts that bring evil smiles to those who appreciate them.

6. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I wonder who will be buying the Viper brand... I was planning on selling my 06 coupe for an 08-09 ACR but am a little worried about who would be taking over!

7. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    GET the ACR! I drove a buddies the other day. The car is unbelievable.
    On a side note my 95 (blown 900hp) still puts a giant smile on my face but the 360 still gets most of my butt time.

8. vipermann123

vipermann123 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2005
    Irvine, Ca
    Full Name:
    Uzy Malik
    I have owned 3 Vipers:
    1995 RT/10
    1999 RT/10
    2000 RT/10

And I loved each one of them!!!!

The Viper is truely a "BEAST"!!!!

Its RAW, it's like an Old 60's muscle car with modern touches.

And the TORQUE is awesome!!!!!!

I have plans to pickup a 2009 after my home is built.

Thanks,
    UZY

9. Mark from Ork

Mark from Ork Formula Junior

May 29, 2007
    Miami Biatch
    Well might want to hurry, because they're not buidling anymore. Production is suspended and they're trying to sell/license the brand.

Also as an additional comment, it always annoyed me that it seemed to run out of RPM so fast. I guess due to the size of the motor it's just not a high-revver, and it always seemed like it needed to be short-shifted.

I'll take 9,000 RPM any day!

10. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    I was actually thinking about waiting to pick up an 09 until I know someone will be around to support it with parts, service, etc.

As for running out of RPM's, I never really thought of that as a disadvantage. On my 360, I always felt as thought I had to keep the revs high for any power. Same with my Gallardo. On my viper, I have torque pretty much anywhere in the rpm band. I find it revs "slower" than other cars, too, so I think I'm shifting with about the same amount of time between shifts. I'm sure there is something on the internet showing the mph range per gear for each car.

11. jratcliff

jratcliff Formula 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Interesting.

John

12. early93viper

early93viper Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2006
    Olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #62 early93viper, Jan 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
    I have had my 93 Viper for 4 1/2 years now tracked the piss out of it, had it 165 mph plus and it's turned into my dream car. I love it. I love the fact I have no electronic nannies, abs, etc. The viper is a pure drivers car something a poser wouldn't understand.

Here's me on the track:

93 Viper VS Porsche GT3
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Porsche-GT3-VS-Viper_193037.htm

93 Viper VS C6 Z06
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Viper-VS-C6-Z06-at-HPT_124270.htm

93 Viper VS supercharged Elise, Mustang, C6 Z06, etc.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Last-HPT-Roadwarriors_138844.htm

1993 Viper VS Elise and Mustang
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1993-Viper-playing-with_124277.htm

93 Viper playing at Viperdays
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Viper-Days-at-MAM-Iowa_132635.htm

93 Viper Playing at Porsche Event
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Viper-at-PCA-Octoberfest_193641.htm

93 Viper VS Supercharged Elise
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Viper-VS-Supercharged_165800.htm

A LOT MORE:
    http://videos.streetfire.net/uploaded/early93viper.htm

13. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
  14. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    i owned one from 94-04 i guess that is considered a gen 1 car??? you learn to respect the beast as well you should!! yes it doesnt have all the nannies to cover your butt, yes it feels light at over 100mph, yes your feet absolutely cook while the rest of you freezes... that said it sure was fun to go around a fast corner manipulate the throttle (as you should be able to do in a sports car) and feel the car start to power drift while the whole time dictating as little or as much as you desire with your right foot! Every car has its +'s and -'s you never will make everyone happy.....I dont understand why people take it SO PERSONAL when someone has an opinion....Whats the old saying....opinions are like A**holes, everyones got one!

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Saw one this weekend that had a 675 HP badge on it, that would be something the owner put on themselves? Is that like wearing a T-Shirt that says 12"?

16. achilles99

achilles99 Karting

Sep 26, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    LT
    Some tuners put out a package with that badge... too funny. When I had my 1000 hp Gen II viper, I toyed with the idea of adding the Hybrid badge off a Prius...

17. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Haha, I would love to see the reaction :D :D :D

18. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
  19. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Had no clue you were on here dude your car sounds SICK. I read its got a cream puff motor in it oh well though you can still make dam near 700whp on a stock motor. Your car sounds almost exotic.

20. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels
    :) Thanks! I have been on here for years. Lots of good people on the Texas forum area of F-Chat and that's usually where I dwell. I'm not 100% on the year of the motor yet. Still gotta read some serial numbers on the block when I crawl back under the car soon.

Here is another video someone posted of my GTS on the dyno. It's rather loud I guess. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enTMJKpcKpg&fmt=18

21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Currently own a blue white 97 GTS since new and it is a keeper for life. Prev. owned 92 and 2002 . Certainly enjoy my Modena, but if push came to shove I think I would sell the Modena. That decision fortunately does not have to be made so both will be enjoyed to the fullest.
    Docf

22. Blazeone

Blazeone Rookie

Sep 5, 2008
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tom
    No doubt the earlier versions had their issues, like most cars. You guys should drive a '08 or '09 and then post your thoughts. Many changes have been made. My '08 is a very fast ,solid performing car. The build quality is great ie. paint, panel fit, no rattles etc.

[​IMG]

23. FerrariF50lover

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    B/W cars are going to be the most sought after viper ever built IMO. I love those cars. Frog how much whp did your car put down?

24. -FROG-

-FROG- Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 3, 2003
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Paul Daniels

455HP / 500TQ. With only headers, exhaust, and typical stuff like that.

25. osuav8r

osuav8r Karting

Feb 16, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Here's a video of my 2001 GTS idling on the night I brought it home. It has aftermarket headers and I think it's a Borla exhaust. It doesn't seem to have that high pitched "four banger" sound that a lot of them do. I can't really take credit for picking the setup as it was the previous owners handiwork, but I love how it sounds!

Here's the link

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee57/osuav8r/?action=view&current=MVI_0283.flv