My F355 "Barn Find" (And Build Thread) | FerrariChat

My F355 "Barn Find" (And Build Thread)

Discussion in '348/355' started by blvckintl, Jul 31, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Hello Fellow F-Chatters!

Just wanted to share my experience purchasing my first "classic" F-Car, a new to me 2-owner 1995 F355 Berlinetta. I can certainly say before 48 hours ago I have never considered purchasing one, as I have been trying to hunt down a manual F430 (I'm only 21, so the F430 is my "poster car" and the first exotic I've ever been in). I was in a jam as I sold my 991.2 GT3 to make room for my 992 but I had no desire to take my Speciale to Monterey for Car Week. About 48 hours ago, I got a text from a distant family friend asking if I would be interested in acquiring his father-in-laws 1995 F355 Berlinetta. As my search for the right F430 came up empty I decided to stay up the entire night browsing just about every F355 forum thread on FChat. I went to see the car this morning, still undecided if it was the car for me despite the raving reviews I had seen across the internet.

I had very minimal information on the vehicle when going to see it. Me seeing it was actually more of a favor to my friend as his father-in-law needed to sell his car this weekend in order to have a down payment on a new home they were purchasing. I knew the vin, miles, and heard that Denzel Washington was the original owner. That was it. No images, no service history, no info on condition. Knowing what nightmares can stem from a poorly serviced F355 I was not hopeful in the slightest. Upon arriving I was surprised to find that the car was a family heirloom, and was passed from the father-in-law to his son. This celebrity owned 29k mile serviced Nero / Beige Tradizione 1995 F355 Berlinetta had been sitting in the garage without any real mileage put on in a decade. While the car certainly needs some cosmetic love (paint correction, interior freshening, etc) I was surprised when the father handed me an entire binder of service records. While the car had only covered a mere 700 miles in the past 6 years, it had consistent engine out servicing and a brand new clutch. Within the binder was proof of registration from Denzel Washington along with hundreds of receipts.

After driving the F355 around the block I was instantly sold. I find it odd that prior to this I believed that no car could come close to bringing me the level of enjoyment that my Speciale does, but I was hooked instantly. Everything was just as amazing as the reviews I read online, from high pitched song of the 3.5L V8, to the metal clinking of the shifter on the gates, to the lack of computer interference, it really is a true drivers car. Although not the fastest by modern standards, it was by far the most engaging driving experience I have had in recent times (maybe excluding the Carrera GT).

After all these months of searching I do find it funny how a perfect example of an F355 fell in my lap by chance, only weeks before my trip to Monterey with no car in sight. While the car has the potential to be one of the finest F355s out there, I need to do minor restoration work to paint, interior surfaces, and seats. My plan for this thread is to document my ownership along with my journey turning my F355 into a pristine concours quality car.

Thanks to everyone that made it this far in my post, excited to bring you all along on my journey with my new F355 Berlinetta. In the meantime, there are some post-wash images listed below! :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BDM348, Buckets, AZ77 and 18 others like this.
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks awful good for a barn find. :) The 355's sound great and I think are a design that is aging well. Enjoy it!

Caphill, Boomhauer and blvckintl like this.
  3. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Perhaps “Barn Find” is a bit of a stretch, just a hell of a car sitting in a garage somewhere in the middle of nowhere :D

Caphill and Jdubbya like this.
  4. Oz-ATL

Oz-ATL Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2011
    Congrats. Fantastic car to find.

5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Cool story. Thanks for sharing it…and the pics.

Put it in the Concourso Italiano in Monterey and I will look for it there !

6. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Congrats! It's always nice to read fun stories like that, makes the car feel much more special.

7. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Setting up to be a great thread ;)

8. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Thanks to everyone for the nice comments! Scheduled two-step paint correction, deep interior cleaning, and ceramic coating. That and new tires will be the most I can accomplish before Monterey. After that I'll be removing the minor audio modifications made by the previous owner and obsessively restoring little pieces of the car until it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Possibly a Tubi system.

ShineKen and JSinNOLA like this.
  9. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Cool story and a nice find. You should cross-post this in the 355 forum, people there would be interested.

blvckintl likes this.
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My buddy has a 355 sitting in his garage gathering dust. Hasnt started it for almost 20 years now. 6 spd Spider, rossa corsa.

Congrats on the 355, my fav of the Ferraris Ive owned.

Texas Forever and blvckintl like this.
  11. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Beautiful car, Ethan. The 355 is such a lovely shape.

ScottS and blvckintl like this.
  12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    355s are great. Make sure you service it and correct the 'usual suspect' issues and it will put a grin on your face 24/7.

blvckintl likes this.
  13. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Paint correction and ceramic coating going on today (pics to follow), next step is tires before road tripping the car to Monterey. I was sorting through the records that came with the car and found the original warranty card signed by Denzel Washington :)

Attached Files:

350MH83, Rick Weston, Qavion and 2 others like this.
  14. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    The much needed paint correction made a night and day difference. Paint looks phenomenal (like glass). I used Navas Auto Detailing based in Orange County. Found them on Yelp, younger guys but super knowledgeable about paint correction and did amazing work for a very reasonable price. Recommend to anyone that needs paint correction or ceramic coating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

ShineKen likes this.
  15. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Of course Denzel Washington owned a black 1995 F355 Berlinetta. That explains everything :).

16. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

Keep in mind 95's have single stage paint. It is important they meter the paint in all areas and try not to cut too much. Ceramic coating should help preservation for a few years.

blvckintl likes this.
  17. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    "After driving the F355 around the block I was instantly sold. I find it odd that prior to this I believed that no car could come close to bringing me the level of enjoyment that my Speciale does, but I was hooked instantly. Everything was just as amazing as the reviews I read online, from high pitched song of the 3.5L V8, to the metal clinking of the shifter on the gates, to the lack of computer interference, it really is a true drivers car. Although not the fastest by modern standards, it was by far the most engaging driving experience I have had in recent times (maybe excluding the Carrera GT)."

Been telling people for years, but nobody listens :). Just wait till you put some basic mods.

@Shark01

GordonX, carnutdallas and blvckintl like this.
  18. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    They’ve done classic Ferraris before and came prepared. They metered every inch of the car before touching it. Good thing is there’s plenty of paint remaining (confirming my suspicion that it hasn’t been professionally detailed or polished in decades). Also confirmed the car has never had any paintwork, I didn’t have a meter on me when inspecting it but I’d say I’m pretty darn good at spotting it by eye (I’m a former used car manager for franchised stores). Car looks phenomenal and ceramic will help preserve the car for years to come.

ShineKen likes this.
  19. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus

You're very lucky to have such a 355 just land on your lap. The right year as well.

95's tend to show significant orange peel straight from the factory. They layered quite a bit of paint on there. You can smoothen out the orange peel, but you will be cutting into it quite a bit. Personal choice. Orange peel would be the dead giveaway the paint hasn't been touched.

Rick Weston and blvckintl like this.
  20. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    I did some research and made sure they didn’t cut too much to remove the orange peel. It was certainly interesting reading of all the weird quirks of the car the night before purchasing, I did remember reading about the factory paint on 95s. Most of the scratches that needed to be corrected were from hand washing so they didn’t need to cut much off at all, factory orange peel still in fact :D
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

wdonnelly and ShineKen like this.
  21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Not sure what the call out is concerning....glad the new owner is happy.

ShineKen likes this.
  22. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Well... since you called me out on the Youtuber buying a Scud and not a 355, although I believe he chose what he can best fit in... just highlighting they are a different era of cars with some pros and cons. While the new stuff gives you the latest and greatest, the old stuff gives you an experience that will be considered timeless in the grand scheme of things.

The Youtuber got a nicely spec'd Scud and they are still somewhat undervalued/under appreciated. That was a good buy.

blvckintl likes this.
  23. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Marcus Dante, DrewH, Julia and 4 others like this.
  24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Any rock chips in the front? The single stage paint is very soft as well. I have a ton of rock chips in the front bumper (needs to be fully repainted in my opinion), a few on the fenders, but not much, and maybe 10-20 on the hood and headlight covers.

25. blvckintl

blvckintl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2018
    Newport Beach, CA
    Just a few, nothing that would warrant a respray. Going to have that addressed post Monterey along with some other small items (such as adding a factory head unit)