430 - My F430 Spider quick review | FerrariChat

430 My F430 Spider quick review

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jun 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I've had my F430 now for 2 years.

I drive my car every chance I get.
    Im now at 39K miles and this car just keeps getting better and better and sure feels like its getting more and more powerful.

I went for a 6 hour drive today, both on the back roads and the freeway, pushed my car really really hard. Hard acceleration, hard braking, tight turning and this car never disappoints. Simply amazing performance.

The Agency Power Headers, Kline Innovation Exhaust, Mase Engineering ECU Software and Michelin Pilot 4S really improved the already excellent performance of my car.

Every time I drive I get so many thumbs up, wave's, smiles, appreciation, "I love your car", "rev it some more" comments just never ends.

My face hurt from smiling every time I come home. I love this car. Best car I have ever driven and owned.
    Thank you Ferrari for making such great cars. And I feel very blessed and honored to be able to own one.

Just thought I'd share my experience with my F430 after 2 years of ownership and putting in 14K miles.

Just want to say too - for the garage queens, you are missing out big time.
    These cars are not only rolling piece of beautiful art, the driving performance is just phenomenal.

You all enjoy yours too to the max.

Peace to all of you and please drive safely.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

CETH, f355spider, Way2fast and 13 others like this.
  2. DrPaul

DrPaul Karting

Dec 27, 2018
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Paul M. Strickler
    Well said! I think you have tapped into the true essence of what owning one of these cars is supposed to feel like.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    A lot of people have forgotten what an amazing car the 430 is because the 458 was such a different car. I recently picked up a McLaren 675 spider and I originally thought that it might diminish my affection for my 430 but the opposite is true. The 675 is a truly astonishing car and very engaging but the experience is very different from the 430. They actually compliment each other very well.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    whatheheck likes this.
  5. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Stan… How different is the 675? I have to imagine just that much smoother and faster though. Such a gorgeous machine

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  6. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Dan… Assuming the roads are dry, are you still driving in race most of the time? I have been doing so as well lately but I’m curious, if I’m really only driving five or 6/10 on the road, is race gonna be that much more on the edge ? I like the Tyler suspension and the faster shift, but don’t want to give up too much of the Safetynet

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Cole-

It’s hard to find the words to describe the experience. Between the carbon tub, P1 parts, super series suspension, etc. you literally feel like the car is an extension of you. McLaren has shown with this car that technology doesn’t have to be at odds with a pure driving experience. It’s hard to imagine a better modern sports car especially in the spider form, it’s insane the price that they’ve come down to especially for a limited edition. Lucky for me though:)

cole328 and whatheheck like this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Scott,

Race mode 99.99 % of the time.

It doesnt make sense to drive an ultra high performance car at reduced setting. Its a waste.
    Get to know the car and drive it to its full capabilities.

Do what I do, find an empty lot like park and ride on weekends, put the manetino switch at CST settings / all traction controls computer assisted driving off.
    Now its you and the car only. Get to know its limits and learn how to control and manage the car in a safe environment. Learn how to control the car once you break traction. This is the proper time and place to get to know the beast and not in a public road.

I also recommend taking an advance driving instructions like BMW Car Control Clinics, drive in the race tracks, gain as much experience as you can and you will have a safe & confident driving experience.

There are members here that drives their cars in CST setting 100% of the time and I bow to them as they are comfortable driving the car at its highest setting without any computer assistance.

As most people know its always a combination of high performance car and great driver skills.

Dan

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Congrats on a fine acquisition! And thanks for sharing knowledge and experience.

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Just always make the clutch is fully engaged before mashing the gas pedal to prolong the life of the clutch.

And "squeeze" the brakes when braking so as not to disturb the balance of the car.

Dan

11. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dan,
    Your inspiring me to drive my car more. Besides the canyon drives, I really don't take the car anywhere, I guess I don't want to be that guy that show up with the only Ferrari, you get what I mean? I kinda low key and showing up with a Rossa Corsa 430, well you know what I mean. Anyone else have this problem?

12. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Love hearing these stories. Like yourself I’ve owned mine for over two years now and put on damn near the same mileage. Just keeps getting better and better. Took mine out on a little getaway this weekend 700 miles down and parked in the hotel lot no problems at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Paul,

Allow me to share my personal opinion.

I am Asian. We are born and raised to be reserved, quiet, low key and humble people.
    We were always reminded not be flashy as "what would other people say or think?"

You know what, I decided to change that way of thinking.
    It's my life and we only live once. I worked very hard to obtain the good things in life & I will enjoy the fruits of my hard labor.

I will remain humble but I really dont care anymore what other say or do.
    People will always say or think whatever they want and that is beyond our control.
    I will not live my life trying to please others.

I am neither cocky nor flamboyant. I dont flaunt.
    But I will enjoy what I have accomplished in life in humility and will not live my life worried about what others may say or think or do.

I encourage everyone to do the same.
    As I mentioned we only live once and life is too short.
    Enjoy your life to the max.

Dan

14. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    Put about 100 miles on her this morning and I totally agree with you Dan, I think the F430 is such an under appreciated car - had the biggest smile the whole day. The car is so engaging, responsive and sounds amazing above 5000 rpm's. I've owned the car for almost three years and never had a single issue or problem with the car--not one! I only have 15K miles on mine but trying to catch up to you!

whatheheck and cole328 like this.
  15. stan996turbo

Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Dan

How much louder did the Agency Power headers make the car? I have the Mk 2 version on my car but they are still prone to failure so I’m thinking about taking a preemptive measure.

16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Stan,

I would say OE exhaust manifolds to Agency Power headers being better designed and really free flowing increased the loudness by about 20% at idle.
    It is loud like Formula 1 scream at wide open throttle around 5500 RPM and up.

With Klein Innovation exhaust its quiet and tame at idle, I can push the remote to open up the valves anytime and it is loud but very nice sounding.

I will say this - I have yet to have anyone comment or complain that my exhaust set up is too loud.
    Everyone actually says rev it some more :)

Dan

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Issue free for 3 years is awesome! You are lucky.

• Recently a rock hit my windshield. Dealer wants $9,100.00 to remove and replace my windshield. Lucky that one is covered by my insurance.
    • Clutch Throw Out Bearing fluid leaking. Dealer wants $7,800.00 to replace. And the previous owner replaced the Clutch TOB just 4 years ago and its leaking again. I will go with Hill Engineering TOB this time. I cant recommend OE TOB. Weak design by Ferrari.
    • Variator Solenoids leaking oil. That one is about $5,600.00 to replace.
    • Valve cover gaskets seeping oil again. This was replaced by previous owner must 4 years ago. I can do this one myself.
    But she's worth every penny as the smile she puts on my face is priceless.

Dan

18. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    Dan, I agreed with you 100% well stated, you just spoke for me. I am too came from the same ethnic background and work hard all my life. I managed my saving and deserve to drive my dreamed car. I have 2008 F430 Spider for two and half years and have 28k+ miles on the speedometer. Most of the time we got sun breaks in PNW, garage open, top down and out for a ride. I enjoyed it every time. Life is too short, ignore the NEGATIVE!

Don.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for chiming in Don!

Hope to see you on the next FCA drive!
    Join us for coffee, lunch and drive next time.

Dan

2bf360 likes this.