my ferrari dream and project..a short story | FerrariChat

my ferrari dream and project..a short story

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by stevel48, Jan 31, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I'm still young (28) but, I just can't wait any longer. I need a Ferrari. not any Ferrari but one of the first. I work in high tech and the fiancee is in law school right now so it's just me keeping the bills paid. I love just about every Ferrari ever made. I would love to have them all. My heart really lies in the past. the simple mechanics of the early race cars like the 166 MM. The MM is one of my all time fav Ferraris.

So, I have started a new education, I am taking night classes to learn welding. I have also signed up for metal shaping workshops with some of the best. Fay Butler, Founier, and the tin man Kent White.

So.....
    If i dont have 1.5 mil to spend on the real 166 MM I guess i'll have to make my own. I know, its crazy right. We'll thats me.

I've been doing quite a bit of research in the past weeks on the 166. I've found the chassis pics and plans for the car. I know the construction of the car like the back of my hand at thei point. I plan on having the chassis built for me. I'll leave that to the pros. I've located many original and reproduction parts. The engine choice is still up in the air. I would like a Ferrari engine in there, eurospares has a few to choose from. I really want a small displacement 12 cyl or straight 6 engine. Jag is an option too.

Anyway, the idea is to have the chassis built uo for me. Then body the car. This will take years of work and a lot of practice. But i plan on leaving tech in 5 years to persue a career in restoring classic euros. (only the body work) I live in Ma so I'm sure i will chat with Paul Russel and co again. ( I have in the past...the urged me to start the career change)

call me crazy..its ok. It's my dream and i'll never give up on it.
    I'll post pics when i am done :) in my 30's

2. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Not a problem having a dream and wanting to build a Ferrari, I have thought about it myself (very briefly) a long time ago since I could not afford one. To build a good looking replica will not be cheap however but absolutely NO to the Jag engine. Don't get me wrong, its a good motor but you are building a Ferrari, you put in a Ferrari motor.

To consider this extreme a project and not put in the heart of a Ferrari is not a dream, it is a nightmare. A Ferrari is not about the cosmetics, its about the motor (the cosmetics just happen to look awesome also)

3. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    good point :) i hope i can find a normaly aspirated v12. I'm hoping for a 20k build price when all is said and done. I have some chassis quotes. Its all the little original pieces that add up. emblems, wheels, houdaille shocks etc.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Good luck.

5. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    thats 20k minus the v-12. sorry.

6. kevfla

kevfla Formula 3

Nov 20, 2003
    Full Name:
    gone 4 good
    when you provide the core (block) is going to run $25-30K. If you wanted to buy a running engine, plan to spend at least $30-40K.

A Jag-engined Kougar without the engine might make a good start for a basic chassis. The early cars were relatively crude, which works in your favor (as opposed to building a birdcage Maserati replica).

KevFla

7. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    #7 stevel48, Feb 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Right. The 166 has a very simple chassis and suspension set up. Two 2 inch oval rails and a crossmember. There are about 3 versions of chassis for the 166 series. I chose the chassis from the 1948/49 MM cars. The inters and the 1953 are much different. I still have to calculate the spring rate and find appropriate A arms for the front suspension.

Also, the body is not too complicated of a shape when you compare it to any of the testarossas or 250 TDF's etc.

I have to say it's one hell of a fun project.

here is a pic of a seiries 2 chassis
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's different. I think you'll do this.

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Have you thought about an Alfa Romeo 2.5 or 3.0 ltr v6 engine. Being Italian they drive like 100% Italian motors and are cheap and relatively easy to maintain ... and look fantastic with 3 twin choke down draught carbs. These engines are the first choice for Lancia Stratos replicas ...

The early ones are 2 valves and single overhead cam ... so again similar to the Columbo v12.

I bet you could make this car drive pretty damn close to the real thing using one of these engines ... and save yourself some money. You will never find a small Columbo v12 engine (for the $$'s), thus you will end up with a much larger engine (probably a 365 GT/4 2+2 engine) and thus your 'copy' will not drive right at all (lets just say heavy front end wash/understeer) ... same thing with the Jag engine as they are enormous (cc size and heavy) compared to a 166 engine. 166's are delicate little cars and that is what you should be aiming to replica.

Good luck.
    Pete
    ps: You all know my views on using genuine Ferrari components in replicas ... so I will just respectively leave it at that.

10. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Build the chassis yourself.

The metal working skills to weld up a tube chassis are orders of magnitude less than the skills to beat panels.

You have the plans.

what you need are tubing, mig welder, chopsaw and tape measure.

One night class in welding and you are good to go.

BTDT

Erich

11. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I totally agree pete. i was consifering and inline 6 but i hadn;t come up with a good candidate for one yet. You just gave me the best choice yet. Those early v12's are only 1.5 litres. Tiny. the weight of a more modern or larger v12 was bothering me. Great advice. thanks.

i just found an original factory blueprint of the 1950 166 MM today. Just waiting on price info for it.
    Steve

12. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    If i welded it up myself i'd need to build a jig. Being a newbie i sure dont want to screw up the chassis. i will consider it for sure.

Interestingly enough, i contacted Tafiltubi(GILCO) the original maker of the 166 frames for the correct steel to be used.

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How about an early BMW 2 litre straight 6. I think they are single overhead cam and you could hang 3 twin choke webers on them ... :)

I know that there are a few Japanese small v6 engines too ... like Mazda, etc.

Pete

14. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    I'd liek to stick with a euro carburated engine. inline 6 or 12 under 3 liters. I think the alfa is a good choise and the Jag 6 is. the jaginline 6 can be pushed to 300 BHP. I only really want 200 bhp in the car because it's so light.

I found 2 alpha engines for about 2-3k each. What a great car to use for the donor drivetrain. it very close to the original specs of the v12 in the 166..less 6 cylinders. 145hp...5 more then the 12.

15. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    Steve, its great to read about your desire to build an accurate replica of a classic Ferrari - I share similar feelings (and am the same age). Its not one of the specific reasons I got into the trades as a career, but I was keenly interested in classic exotics and I knew I had to have a skill like this (welding/fabrication) in order to support and be involved in that hobby. Good for you.

I remember seeing on eBay years ago, someone in the U.S. was selling an assortment of NOS/OEM Ferrari chassis tubing. Can't remember who it was though.

For an appropriate powerplant, maybe find an old, beaten-up Fiat Dino coupe - Recondition its engine/tranny, driveshaft, rear live axle, etc... Its 2.4L V-6, carbureted, front-engine, rear wheel drive. People have used these for 60's Dino racecar replicas.

16. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    another great idea. I'll investigate that car and powerplant also. The choice of engine and tranny has been bothering me but after these ideas i'm pretty excited. This solves the fornt end weight issues i was thinking about. The icing on the cake is that the engine and tranny will still be italian. So far the alfa 2600 engine and tranny look to be a great match in terms of dimensions.

P.S. thanks for actually offering advice everyone rather than goofing on me. Many guys have done what I am about to do with Jaguars and cobras, so why not me right.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    By Alfa 2600 engine I assume you mean the straight 6 engine of the 60's. These are really a touring engine and while twin overhead cam and all (and yes you could hang webers off the side) they are a physically large engine (bit like the Jaguar 6 ... but all alloy) and will not easily bury the rev counter on the stops. Like their 4 cylinder counter parts they really are a 50's design and while you can make them rev they will never rev like a small v12 Ferrari ... but the moderner v6 Alfa engine WILL :) :)

Plus I would have thought that they would be getting expensive as some people like the Alfa Romeo 2600 series.

Pete

18. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

I sell more V12 engines (1950-1974) annually than anyone in the country or world for that matter. (think 9 left last year)

Contact me privately

Tom Shaughnessy
    San Clemente CA
    949 366 6211

PS I know exactly what V12 engine cost

19. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    On the FIAT Dino Coupe suggestion...the 2.4 litres are very rare, the 2.0's are much more common and I believe 85lbs. lighter due to alloy block instead of cast iron block. I would look at that, 2Litres is close to the 1.5 and still a Ferrari power plant. As I said a few days ago I would stay with a Ferrari motor, the FIAT Dino is the same as the Ferrari Dino motor. It would look good and sound good.

20. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    How 'bout a Chevy 427?

< ducking to keep from getting hit by flying vegetables >

21. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    No TOO crazy, but take it to a more appropriate level. How about a Falconer aluminum block V12 Chevy that uses the same components as the standard Chevy V8? I've never seen the price on a Falconer block, crankshaft, and cams. But it too is probably scary. Here's a link.
    http://www.falconerengines.com/prod04.htm

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I know of a real 166 engine and gear box that is for sale asking 150K euros.

23. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
    Ha, I know of the falconer. That's some serious power. The car requires a straight 6 or a v6-12 in a 60 degree config. The engine compartment size and hood hight of the car limit a lot of engine choices. The weight of the engine is a deciding factor also. I needs to be pretty light.

As for the 150k original engine.....i wish. Thanks for the post though.

24. stevel48

stevel48 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2005
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Steve (85 308 Owner)
  25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #25 WILLIAM H, Feb 3, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is my dream, Started around 1988 or so as just a dream. I finally happened upon a crashed 512TR then it took me 2 years to build it but now she's done & there are precious few like her in the US
    Image Unavailable, Please Login