My Ferrari Killer WRX! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My Ferrari Killer WRX!

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by ryalex, Jun 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    What a company and oh such a great attitude ... sneaking around behind peoples back to save them (Mitsi) a buck or too!

Pete's less than unimpressed
    ps: And people still buy Mitsi's too ... somebody tell me why?

2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I dont know why people buy either. Personally, give me a used NSX, 97.

If you want new, get a Lotus, they ENCOURAGE people to go out and track, with awesome customer service...better car.

Edit: Sorry I will be nice :)

3. fivebob

fivebob Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2004
    Tauranga,New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Callum
    Ahh the great "Bits are missng" vs "Super Glue" debate, I'll get the popcorn out, sit back and watch the fun :D

Personally I wouldn't have either of them given their respective reliability records :eek:

OTOH Lotus with a Toyota engine = :):):):):):)

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Nice car.

Get rid of the wing. Needs gold wheels, and where are the STi badges? :D

I will remember this pic, because in 4 years when you are driving the Enzo and Murcie, I will tell you "Ryan, I knew you when you had the Subaru"

:D

Dem turtle wax is mighty shiny :eek:

BTW how is having MA plates in Canadia? Do you get egged everywhere you go :D

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Ryan,

So that is what a standard Subaru WRX looks like. Nice.

I have never seen one with out the drain pipe exhaust and massive rear wing, etc. before.

So what is the first mod ;)?

Pete's impressed
    ps: keep all the standard stuff. You will make a fortune with the only original Subaru WRX in the world ... real collectors stuff!.

6. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Want to see mine ? :D

Not quite original (rims, tyres and lots of hidden go fast and suspension mods etc.) but not too garish, I'm sure you'd agree. Oh, and she's the older bugeye version, which I favour.

I had to sell her very recently, though. I'm pretty sad right now. :(

7. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /s/image9/4/26/4/110542604jXtQMG_fs.jpg on this server.

8. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Try copying and pasting the link, maybe that'll work ?

9. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    #34 Turb0flat4, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've resized and attached the file because the server wouldn't let me load the large one. The quality's not the best after resizing, but you get the idea. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep nice and tasteful.

Pete

11. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    STi engines are not very mod friendly. The engines keep blowing up when people try to get an aftermarket turbo. It is very hard to even get 350 hp on an STi. I think only 3 people have over 350hp on an Sti.
    You can read this site:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=522681

Some of the things they said:

And not many people do.

Another thread:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=569384&highlight=evo

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    For those people who are getting riled up by the posts by EVO8, keep this in mind. When the Evo vs 360 thread and Subaru vs 360 thread came about, he showed his true essence. He is a young high school kid, who said he had benzes and bimmers, and later copped to the fact, that they were all his parents.

Please take his age and ego into consideration before taking the bait. ;)

He has been dormant for a while, and has risen from the ashes. :D

13. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
  14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Uh, I believe that's your daddy's Turbo.

No amount of, "we share it, he says it's mine too" will win you more points on that.

15. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Someone just got 'own3d'.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I believe you said something about a Benz. Sorry my mistake. I usually don't devote time to look that up, I do it from memory.

Not looking to argue with you. I don't want other members to get riled up for no reason, because you seem to purposefully push people's buttons. I wanted to warn them of that.

Btw where is your cool sig that said something like "press here to see my awesome evo" or something.

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LMAO Omar! Phillip has been owned numerous times, this is nothing new to him.

Back to why Ryan A. didn't buy the STi and when is he buying his Enzo thread :D :D

18. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Ok, whatever you guys think.

Anyways, I do respect Subarus on the road, even though some give me the finger first when I'm in the Evo. There's just so much hatred between Mitsubishi and Subaru. Ryalex, I just wish you luck on achieving your goals in the wrx/sti. Hopefully, you can get over 350 hp, as my goal is around 400hp which is considered simple in an Evo.

19. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #44 Auraraptor, Jun 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Thank you for your veiled put-down. Don't forget, price is a factor as a student buying the car on your own. The local Mitsu dealer was asking $8k more for the EVO than my Subie dealer for the WRX. For the difference I think I could mod up the base WRX to EVO levels.

21. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Whats wrong with you! Why didn't you just ask your Dad for the 8k? Come on now!

22. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Here we go:

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That is what I would do with a Mitsubishi if I ever was forced to own one :D :D.

Saying that I have driven a friends EVO 1 (or something) that was modified to EVO 3 specs ... and it was a quick car. But in the end I have seen and heard way to many stories of a car company that just does not give a damn about the product it produces ... thus why support them by buying their self proclaimed cr@p.

Pete's opinion

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    In the '03 USDM models, the EVO is just a hair quicker in the quarter -- because the STi's 6-speed box requires and additional shift before 60 than the EVOs 5-spd. Otherwise, yes, the 2.5L STi does more torque than the 2.0L EVO, but the EVO has quicker steering response.

Most reports say that the EVO is easier to push to its limits, so the "better handling" may be more perception (and steering ratios) than hard numbers. But then, a year ago, a Scooby dealer told me that half the STis sold in California had already been crashed. Also, the EVO has 235 width Yoko A046s vs. the STi's 225 width Bridgestone RE070s, so the EVO has a bit more rubber on the road.

Don't try driving either one in winter with the stock rubber. The Yokos are utterly useless below 40F, and the RE070s are also "summer" tires.

If that's the 2.0L STi, the only thing the STi would have going for it would be that it isn't a Mitsu. ;)

In the US market, the "plain" and RS EVOs have conventional center diffs, and still out-handle the STis. The ACD/AYC reduces turn-in understeer a bit (especially in snow), and the conventional center diff won't unlock for handbrake turns.

Most of the reports of Mitsu monitoring track activity come from one specific region (one regional rep). Mitsu has known issues with their US dealer network (and it sounds like their Australian network is none too good, neither). But STi owners are also complaining about dealers trying to duck warranty issues (e.g. gearbox). (Trying to reproduce the claimed 0-60 times in an AWD machine will seriously stress your drivetrain. In the EVO, the clutches burn; I hear in the STis, it's the gearbox that folds.)

According to RallyArt's web page, the WRC04 is Lancer based, because WRC spec requires the base car to have sales over 20,000. The EVO7 WRC was a Group A car, not WRC spec. There are two theories why the Lancer WRC04 is so bad. One is that Mitsu is broke, and couldn't afford to do any testing. The other is that, after taking a year off "to prepare the next EVO" (quote from Mitsu's announcement at the end of '02), they got surprised that FIA wouldn't let them homologate the EVO as a Lancer, and had to start over with a plain Lancer platform. RallyArt isn't saying. (In WRC, if you're not Renault, Peugeot, or Citroen, you're not important to FIA.)

Between the STi and EVO, it's a matter of preferences. For around town, I like my EVO, although I wouldn't mind the MR version for snow. The EVO's front mounted intercooler doesn't get heat soaked in traffic like the STi's top mounted one. For a paved racetrack, the MR's engine and suspension upgrades would be nice to have, but I'd probably prefer the conventional drivetrain of the RS. For making loud noises in a straight line, the STi would take it. ;) The STi reportedly is also very good at collecting birds in that big hood scoop. :D

If you're planning lots of mods, I'd go with either the EVO (mix and match RS, MR, and FQ330 parts), or a plain WRX. The USDM STi's 2.5L engine is a bit of an odd man out. If you want to upgrade an STi, I'd say start with a JDM, not a US model.

I can't say for the STi, but the EVO actually needs its big wing, at high speeds. With that abrupt rear window, rear deck lift is an issue. It doesn't hit full effectiveness until 80, but it does function a bit at lower speeds, too. One down-side to the big wing is that I got pulled over for looking too fast, once. (I was doing 20 in a 25 zone.) No ticket, but the car just looked too quick to the local cop. I never did hear the resolution of the guy in NY who got ticketed for the "whale tail". I have noticed how surprised cops are to see an old guy in the EVO. ;)

My biggest concern on the road is people who insist on tailgating the big wing. It's pretty much a given that the EVO can out-brake anything else on the road. (Below 60, that is. Above 80, the Enzo's carbon-ceramic brakes come into their own.)

25. Turb0flat4

Turb0flat4 Formula 3

Mar 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    RND
    Not quite. ;) I don't think you're familiar with the Spec C (long form is Subaru Impreza WRX/STi Type RA Spec C - phew, that's a mouthful ! :D). Although it is a 2 liter car, it will put the smackdown on many supercars, including a base Evo, and probably an Evo MR.

Here's a head to head comparo vs the M3 CSL and the P-GT3. Note that the hp figure is almost as high as the Evo FQ-340 which is a beefed up special version of the Evo. In addition, the Spec C is lightweight in construction (relative to the standard STi) and has a fantastic upgraded suspension.