My Ferrari now, after 9 years. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My Ferrari now, after 9 years.

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by The Red Baron, Feb 14, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    The car looks fantastic. Great color combo. Thank you for posting the details.
    I was wondering about the solid brake lines. It is my understanding that they should be copper platted. They look cad.

2. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Most of the items mention were that way when I bought the car. The air box had the crinkle finish. Most of these items seem easy enough to correct. Was there any difference in RHD models or from model to model.

3. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    I really like the sequence they used to paint the car after all the mechanicals went in. The car looks amazing.

4. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I have seen a 275GTB/4 in Sydney, Australia (K.M.) presented with a black crinkle cold airbox finish .. also done by Auto Restorations. The problem is when the bonnet (hood) is opened the airbox and cam covers sort of hit you in the face :):).

I spoke to Alan at Quail Lodge in 2007 about that finish and he thought that was correct. I was SURE it was satin. We do not see enough 250/275 models in Oz to form a definitive 100% opinion about 'correctness' in issues such as airbox grilles .. which to be honest in England and Monterey I have seen many in metal, and so many painted black.

Personally I am a long way from a 100% originality 'freak' .. however 'sock you in the face items' MUST be correct. The smaller ones are what seperates 96+ and 94

Philip C
    PS Red Baron ... that is the loveliest Lusso I have ever seen. The paint colour is, IMO, absolutely perfect.
    Who was it who said that when a Lusso entered the Concours green it was like an elegant Sophia Loren appearing amongst a bunch of twittering schoolgirls?
    Without doubt NZ is fortunate to have Auto Restorations, a testament to the drive of Allan and others. Australia with 4 times the population has NOTHING like it.

PPS .. If you show your car in NZ again then PM me I will come over just to see it :):)

5. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    To be absolutely correct the airbox top and bottom are satin black with a FISPA silkscreen(yellow) at the front edge center on the top lid, and the center grille is satin/electroless(not polished) nickel and the fasteners are tristar natural finish. Regards, Mike

6. creafield

creafield Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2004
    NSW, Australia
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Greetings John
    Thanks for that .. posted to my memory bank.

I was sure on the metal grille and satin finish on airbox, less so on the silk screen or the metal sticker for that model. The top radiator. hose is a bit hard to see as well.

Regarding the footrest .. I too wondered whether there was any difference here between Right and Left HD cars. The difference between the f/rest against the transmission tunnel (RHD) and inner guard (LHD) has produced quite a few variations in more modern cars I have noticed??
    Regards
    Philip C
    PS to be honest I am 99% sure when I am SURE, then it is a sliding scale down to BIIK! :)

7. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #132 geno berns, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I had a look at a very original Lusso. The guy has done nothing to the car at all since it left the factory and unfortunately it looks that way. But I noted the fastners on the air box were just round knobs not the tri-star knobs. Possibly there was a few variations.

Re the foot rest side panelling, standard is being just on the accelerator side. The paneling I have is in there temporary on the other side, it un-clips from the carpet so you can not notice it has been there. purely there to protect the carpet.

9. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #134 John Vardanian, Feb 25, 2010
  10. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Ok I see what you are saying. I always thought the clear was a throw away item once the car left the factory. Similar to the thin plastic protection used today.

11. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    You would think so, but as you can see it is sewn within the beading of the carpet. But most likely these got discolored and became eyesores, so people ripped them off.

john

12. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    This car is just absolutely sensational. Gorgeous! Congratulations and enjoy it in good health!

13. djblu

djblu Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    philthy
    Full Name:
    sean-michael
    WOW ZEE!

awesome post! Glad i was not following it and got it all in one WALLOP!
    AMAZING work and u have the patience of a saint!

I cant close my gaping mouth at those pics of the colour and the final work!

Thanks so much for sharing.

14. 4za

4za Formula 3

Feb 18, 2005
    Edmonds, WA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Awesome looking car! Now put some serious miles on it. :)

What's up next?

15. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Red baron you have a PM.

16. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Yes, lease send a pm.

17. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    #142 John Vardanian, Mar 2, 2010
    Red Baron, to make the point about the "satin" chrome finish of the grill Mike is talking about... this is not a Lusso, but all the same.

john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. regaliaconcours

regaliaconcours Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2006
    Sun Valley
    Full Name:
    MICHAEL REGALIA
    John, Nickel, NOT chrome! Mike

19. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Right you are, Mike. I am a hasty reader.

20. markboyd

markboyd Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    What is a C/4 doing with CENTER air scoop on the hood??
    Mark

21. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I'm afraid you jumped the gun there, Mark. If you spent a little more time reading, you would have realised that this is the Vintage section, which discusses every Ferrari from 1947 up to and including the GTC/4

Nobody said this was a GTC/4, it is a 250GT Lusso.

Welcome, by the way.

Onno