My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Feel free to post as many pics as you want!

sampelligrino likes this.
  2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    There’s a familiar face. :)

Great to see you having such a blast in the new ride.

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    [/QUOTE]

Have any pics you can share with the scrape armor? my only concern is how visible it will be from ordinary angles

Hey Serge, thanks & cool to see you on here too. So far so good with the foray into Ferrari ownership happy to say. Having a true blast with the 488. What about you? Thinking of adding an Fcar to the garage?

soulsea likes this.
  4. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Nah, I was just sent here by rennlist admin to keep tabs on you. :)

I just got a 15 458 spider delivered today ... will post the pics soonish.

Chizz, sampelligrino and pdxjim488 like this.
  5. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
  6. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Do you still use the lift as much with the skidplates?

I ordered a set for my Huracan for $299 and will do the install myself with a rivet gun. Id like to not use the front axle lift as much and just abuse the skidplates and replace as needed like the front lip of my GT3.

7. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    ^
    I use the lift every time I think it will rub.

8. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
  9. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    thanks for the pics

Still mulling it over, I am just so enamored with the look of my car for the moment that I'm still waffling on whether I want to see a smidge of black on the front underside from any ordinary angle lol. Nutty I know, but leaning towards getting it done

Scrape armor themselves were supposed to email me some pictures of 488 with the plates installed but no response so far, most if not all of their instagram pics are in weird/low angles which kind of misses the point for me to see what the visual impact is of the plates on the car from regular viewing angles

10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
  11. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    ~150 miles of therapy today on a beautiful day in LA, crossed 1300 miles. Forza Ferrari

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  13. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    heaven on Earth and the LA Nurburgring. Angeles Crest Highway :)

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Great photos as always, Sam!

One question, if I may:

I think, given your very tasteful and classy spec, and that the engine bay is two-tone (gray+black), the carbon fiber engine heads would look absolutely gorgeous. I’m contemplating making that change myself on my car. Are you a carbon fiber person?

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    grazie Nuno, not sure if you are talking about the intake plenum or the engine bay surrounds but in either case plan on leaving as is :)

The goal for my spec was to attempt a vintage interpretation for a modern Ferrari, where CFwasn't really around back then (of course notwithstanding the must have CF LED wheel and seats IMO). Love the pop of red in the engine bay to kind of "shine a light" on the heart of the car in the official Ferrari color. But different strokes for different folks, always great we have choices. On the more "racey" specs, the CF definitely works amazingly well

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    That's a fantastic looking car for sure.

Ray

17. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Really enjoying this thread and the pictures. I'd love to hear your thoughts after 1300 miles on the handling of the 488 compared with your modern P cars. I have very limited seat time in a 488 consisting of multiple laps at exotics racing in Fontana. I remember though getting out of the Ferrari and thinking yeh its way faster than my P car but I don't think it handles any better, maybe not even as well. Not trying to throw any shade on F cars, as I aspire to own one someday.
    I'm just just curious to hear your thoughts.

18. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks Jim

On the 488, the steering feels light, responsive, darty with the front end eager to bite but there's no disguising the car feels a bit heavier/physically bigger for me coming from 3 991s. And with so much power and the regular PSS Michelin tires, I don't have the full confidence yet to figure out where exactly the limit is for grip and steering input into a corner at speed. Being on track would help immensely in this regard but I'm coming up with excuses putting that off. At casual speeds on a cruise, the 488 handles amazingly well. Add in bumpy road setting, and it's remarkable for the 488, more comfortable than any modern 911 I've owned. On a, surprise, bumpy road, the 488 handles really well soaking up almost everything. I like how Ferrari does it where you go from stiff -> far more pliant suspension. Very comfortable either in town or on a canyon road which is an awesome combo with the snappy turbo engine. I'd say I find the 488 to handle better than my old 991.2 C4 or my 991.1 50th (non-GT cars)

Now, when you compare to the handling to my old 991.2 GT3, at speed the GT3 was better/more confidence inspiring as I expected. Semi slick tires, RWS calibrated very well and making things feel so much tighter, amazing track suspension setup with brilliant damping, sitting very low to the pavement, the GT3 feels literally glued to the road even over 1G. You can throw just about anything at the GT3 and it takes it easily. On both the 488 and GT3, you turn the wheel left and the front end instantly bites. The difference is on the GT3, the whole car feels like it instantly bites and goes with you in that direction. On the 488 you feel like you are waiting a millisecond to figure out where the rear is/if it's cooperating/if she likes that input or not. I would imagine RWS + the tires on the GT3 really make up a large portion of that feeling, but keep in mind it's a similar comparison between the GT3 and my old 991.2 C4 (no RWS or semi slick) or my 991.1 50th (no RWS or semi slick) as well. At slower speeds cruising around, the GT3 can feel a bit rough, bumpy, snappy, angry handling wise so I like the 488's more casual confident nature there

Hope that helps, that's just focusing on the handling. In so many other ways I am finding the 488 to be such a refreshing fun automotive experience. Went out of my comfort zone, and glad I did so far knocking on wood. But also very happy to say I still have my 911 too :)

tomc and Chizz like this.
  19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  20. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim

That is a great assessment Sam. Thanks for your thoughts. I would like to find a way to keep my 991. As was said earlier, for some occasions around my small town, a Ferrari may just be too 'over the top'.

Jim

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    only 1000 miles driven!? not enough, Sam.

22. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Quick fix for ya here. Mine did the same. Simply slide the passenger seat forward a few inches and voila, problem solved. No need to buckle the belt!

23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    haha, will work hard to pump those numbers up. About 1300 miles in 3 weeks aint bad :)

Funny - I did just this a couple days ago. Great minds think alike, did not pay attention to the fact that the passenger seat was so far backwards!

johnr265 likes this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks to Jerry’s suggestion, picked up a ctek 7002 for the car

Arrivederci OEM battery and now OEM tender

So nice to have this connection point on the rear. Doesn’t rain much in LA but hope it proves durable over time since its exposed after car washes/rain/etc

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Love my 7002. I also have the Odyssey battery. If you have HELE, make sure to charge in snowflake mode.

Btw, after 1000+ miles in sunny California, are you finding any glare issues with the cuoio interior?

T