My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks Tom! Will do!!

So many people on Fchat were helpful during this process, including yourself. It’s very much appreciated :) Cool to be in the “club” and part of this awesome community to share the enthusiasm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MANDALAY and ca_scud like this.
  2. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    One last thing Sam, get the Scrape Armor for the front underside!

sampelligrino likes this.
  3. Dorin Candea

Dorin Candea Rookie

Oct 10, 2018
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Dorin Candea
    Beautiful , enjoy the car
    I hope you do not get any glare from the windshield with that color dash
    I own a Family car Cayenne with that dash and I get some glare ( Porsche had me sign a disclosure that I am aware of the possible glare)

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Congratulations. Looks absolutely stunning. Recently took delivery of my beloved F430 (always the one I wanted) nothing else is turning my head at the moment. I’m sure that will change over the next few years. Enjoy that drive from SF to LA. I’m currently in Carpenteria and that ‘1’ sure is a special road.

If you’re ever in Scottsdale, let me know.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Enjoy it and congrats!

6. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Lol my GM said don't do it when I asked him about skid plates, although I understand very subjective and everyone will differ

Going to just have a go with the lifter, and even then if something gets nicked or scratched so be it. First cut is always the deepest and I already know I will pucker up and cringe, but it's bound to happen as this car needs to see mileage :)

Thanks - im sure there will be a bit of glare, how much exactly TBD. But I needed to be a risk taker on this as I just could not do a black upper dash, not for this kind of money and really wanted the full Cuoio interior for that elegant/old school look

A Pista owner on here said it better than I ever could, that Ferrari just seems to have the perfect blend of performance and elegance on 4 wheels. And my design brief went along those exact lines, even though I specced my car before I came across that comment/thought of that

I have surgically enhanced eyes (lasik) so maybe it is wishful thinking, but I am betting the joy of seeing my car and this look just as I wanted will outweigh some glare in the SoCal sun. Time will tell :)

Thanks Tom! Congrats on your F430, what color did you get?

Just did the drive from LA up to SF entirely on the 1 last month, it was epic. But sweet mother of God those Cruise America RVs killed me. Stacks of 30 cars piled behind each RV on these narrow single lane roads past Cambria through Big Sur, plus a handful of construction stops that had waits of 15 min+ ... It took me 10 hours of driving time (I did it with a stop just for lunch plus gas), when it takes me about 6 on I5

This go around I plan on taking various routes in between the 1 and I5, did that in 2017 and there are some kick ass stretches of road with nothing but oil fields or orange groves and hot tarmac

7. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #57 sampelligrino, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Funny enough I thought I wouldn't be tinkering with the car but I had the battery replaced, and replaced the heavy chrome lug nuts for titanium as mentioned

Now I realized I've had these mats from Andrew @ Exoticar for probably over 3 months, hope to finally use them in a couple weeks. Also just got the dead pedal from Ricambi and will watch Ray's video for the install and find the right screws (thanks for the Oreos Ricambi, did not see that coming)

Also figured I'd attach the monroney for anyone curious, going to get this framed!

Attached Files:

pdxjim488 likes this.
  8. Heynowbababooey

Feb 17, 2018
    Interior looks so fresh, I can smell it through your pictures!

9. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Surprised your GM would dissuade you on the scrape armor. What are the negatives? It saved me yesterday when I pulled into parking lot and TOTALLY misjudged where my front was and rode up on the wheel stop! Backed up and checked the front and a little wear spot on the armor.

Make sure the infotainment system has the latest software. Mine did not, satellite radio was not working properly after sending 5 refresh signals. Update fixed the problem.

Apple CarPlay will take getting used to but it works. Just not like on other touch screen autos.

Curious if your Homelink will work as advertised. Have seen where some 488 owners have it working, others need to acquire the bridge setup.
    I will now Shut My Front Door!!

:)

10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Car just arrived in Fremont to my car detailer who is starting the paint prep work, another step closer to finally getting to drive the damn thing!

Separately, two items I hope I can get your guys' opinion on:

1) Considering putting in an offer for a home, to enter the garage there is a dip then quite steep bump into garage (no driveway), see pic attached. Do you guys think the 488 would clear it (I have the lifter) from a casual look? Will attack from an angle of course

2) Unfortunately, my front driver side wheel came with tiny damage from the factory (or transport from Port to dealer) probably. See pic attached. Reason I know that the car came this way is my detailer today found these small chips in the wheel, and when I looked at pictures from last week when I first saw the car at the dealership, zooming in I could see them too. I must have just missed this in the sheer excitement of the day. No big deal but I will admit I've never curbed a wheel (watch me do it now) and I do keep my wheels pristine. My dealer is saying that to fix these chips, it's an all or nothing thing where the entire wheel would have to be refinished for a consistent, high quality OEM look which was surprising. My detailer echoed those thoughts and had concerns that a simple touch up on the wheel to fix the chips, could risk not being a high quality job and also thinks it should be all or nothing.... do you guys have any experience with this? Someone want to talk me off the ledge? I know first scratch and cut is the deepest... my 911 daily driver is already beat up, but was trying to keep this baby as pristine as possible

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

11. ca_scud

ca_scud Karting

Dec 15, 2006
    California
    Regarding the garage and curb, I do not believe that will be a problem at all with the lifter activated.

Sorry about the wheels, that’s a bummer. I have no advice to give there.

12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    No worries, and thanks. Far far bigger problems in the world of course... I sent a picture to my old man asking him how the hell did we miss this and he just laughed at me, so there's that

Just was probing to see if anyone had any experience with "spot touch ups" on a wheel face before, as I don't plan on refinishing an entire wheel for this

13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    #63 MANDALAY, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Does your really need any paint correction. My Xpel installer and I went over the whole car for about 2 hrs with lights and couldn't find a thing wrong. No swirls , flat spots or anything other than 2 pin sized chips on the lower lip corner.

The curb looks ok but if your worried , plate steel if your allowed . If not timber and remove it when you part home again.

Ok let the anal come out again. My field resins for the paint industry. Touch up it the cheapest , easiest way to go. Done by a professional he will fill it in. Will you see it , yes because you know its there.

To repaint , im going to say DONT DO IT. Because they will NEVER match the OEM period. And if it absolutely ****s you change the rim for a new one. For me it would be the last , buy a new rim. Thank God its only a rim. I wouldn't sweat over it , easily fixed , admittedly a few $$$$$ but better that than a chip on the bonnet.

Good idea of a home. I think your going to sleep with one eye open if you park in common apartment parking.

14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    See if the dealer has some rims floating around. Chances are someone might have upgraded to the forged items after delivery ?

15. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Tip I give to everyone. If the missus ever gives you a small pot of paint of the colour she wants you to paint a room or 2 . Get the shop to mix the amount that you need. Then throw out the pot she gave you and fill another small pot of the paint you had made.

Believe me this saves marriages , pain and arguments. It will be the same :)

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Sucks about the wheel- I have no advice other than dealer should be taking care of that.

As far as the curb- zero issues. You won’t even need the lifter. In fact you can settle the lift vs no lift debate finally. :)

sampelligrino and Thecadster like this.
  18. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ohhhh that new car smell! I'll be interested to hear your thoughts compared with Porsche ownership.

19. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Totally agree. Dealer needs to provide a new rim.

20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    If it's a spot/quick touch up thing for the wheel, no big deal either way just hope to fix it (of course now I can't unsee it) and I think the dealer would play ball after sending my GM the pics. I refinished an entire wheel for $400 on my Tesla Model X in Hawaii thanks to my mother and sister as a benchmark, so hoping if there is a safe and easy way to get the chips gone it would be a similar cost

Thanks re curb, I wasn't even paying attention and just picking apart the garage itself when my realtor pointed that out to me so I was glad to see she caught that... if I get the house will report back, actually more concerned my 911 won't clear it and will test if I enter escrow

Will do, so far just complete opposite ends of the spectrum...don't even know how to compare the two, and I haven't even driven my Fcar yet.. I will say Ferrari dealer experience to date head and shoulders above Porsche and that has not been lost on me, whether the car is double the price or not both are 6 figure cars. Loathe almost every Porsche dealer in the country that I've had experience with from a sales standpoint

This might be a dog fight over these small of chips, not that I want or care to be in dealer good graces for future stuff. But need to figure out whether the juice (stress) is worth the squeeze. I am hoping I can find someone solid who can just touch up the chips and get them gone, we are in 2019 with dudes flying on jetpacks and Elon trying to sell brain implants... but then again maybe I am asking for too much lol

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    So far been very impressed with how detailed, OCD, and on it my car detailer has been (first time using him). Prep has been done and the car is about to enter paint correction stage

All the shops I've called about in regards to the small chips in the wheel are telling me the same thing that the entire wheel would need to be refinished, to be perfect...so I am probably going to let sleeping dogs lie on this one

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TSOYBELIS and stavura like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ll say it again, the dealer needs to provide a replacement wheel. You’re patience is astonishing. I feel bad for you. The wheel damage is minor, to be sure, but, nevertheless, a new car needs to be provided free of cosmetic defect, minor or otherwise.

Shadowfax, Napoli and sampelligrino like this.
  23. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    I'll ask and see what my GM says... can't hurt to ask. There are much bigger problems in the world for sure, lot of suffering out there, but I did bust my ass for this car. Chips / scratches / nicks will happen but they usually happen under my watch, not before. Don't want this to slide into some back and forth thing. Appreciate the input

24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Mate its ABOUT YOU . You paid for the car. Ask. If denied ask to meet half way get a new wheel . Don't have it refinished. You will regret it wasted money.

Even contact the after market wheel suppliers here. There has to be many standard rims that they have.

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree.
    Standard 488 rims would be a dime a dozen these days for sure. I recall pricing up a set of forged as a second set 8 months back and they were less than half the option cost on a new car even at list. Ferrari also have had specials from time to time on these wheels as well for less again. Pretty sure every dealer would have some wheel stock of the standards laying about from those who have opted to change up as well. Sampelligrino's dealer should just change his wheel out for a new one and stop behaving badly....so unnecessary. Business surely isn't that bad?