My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale. | Page 7 | FerrariChat

My first ever Ferrari has arrived, 2019 488 GTB [updated] now 458 Speciale.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by sampelligrino, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    #151 sampelligrino, Sep 14, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    Funny, just came across a thread in the 599 section where Jerry mentioned switching to snowflake mode for an AGM battery (it said for < 41F so I missed the next part in the manual also saying for an AGM battery go snowflake). Just went downstairs to the garage to change the setting, thanks for the tip. Between regular driving/racking up the miles, AGM battery and 7002 sure hoping I don't run into any problems knocking on wood

As for cuoio interior, the only issue would be the optional upper dash. Personally I'm very relieved and happy to say I have 0 issues with glare, YMMV. There is a large black vinyl trim piece on the 488 in between where the windshield meets the hood, and where the leather portion of the dash starts, which thankfully reflects up where most of my "driving sight" is focused, straight ahead. In other words the cuoio portion of the dash does reflect a bit, but it's in the upper portion of the windshield where I'm not really looking. I find it to be faint and not noticeable, but if you want to find it you'll make it out. Thrilled with that "tradeoff" to get the look and spec I wanted, I didn't want to settle with the popular nero upper dash and end up with a two tone leather interior. And on my 911 which is black leather but with platinum grey stitching, the stitching and portions of the dash on that even reflect in the California sun so I don't know if anything is truly impervious in that regard

If the 488 did not have that black vinyl piece there then it could have been a bigger issue admittedly, so I think I might have gotten lucky, hard to tell. What's hilarious is initially I pressed my GM to find out if I could get the black trim piece covered in cuoio, had him talk to FNA and the factory, as I wanted everything in cuoio. It was the look I had in mind and what I truly wanted. Thank God he said there was no option, whether telling me the truth or not!

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  2. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    I find polarized sunglasses really reduce the glare as well.

Caeruleus11, tomc and sampelligrino like this.
  3. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi Sam. I noticed you got your car at F of Silicon Valley but I think you said you were from LA. Was it just an allocation issue or did you shop among CA dealers? I am right in between Thousand Oaks to the south and Redwood City to the north. I think I read somewhere that all these dealers are owned by the same guy. Did you let them fight for your business? Do you intend to have your car serviced in LA?? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to answer this on a public forum. Thanks

Jim

4. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    another good reminder, living in LA and don't have shades. going to pick up some ray bans ala Vettel and leClerc

no problem. From my limited understanding FSV is same "network" or ownership group as Ferrari bev hills, south bay, and westlake, and I don't even know if that matters. No issues, wasn't even brought up once. Went with FSV because I had visited the showroom a handful of times when in town before even realizing I would be a Ferrari owner and enjoyed their very low key style, much like mine. Also, I wanted a 488 coupe just as production was ending and FSV was able to hold the allocation open long enough to meet my requirement that I be able to come in and spec the car with my dad. Never asked bev hills/south bay/westlake. Didn't have anyone fight for my business, and not much one can do since from my understanding new cars are MSRP only. Nothing more nothing less, which I appreciate

My car will be serviced by Ferrari South Bay, been great to work with to date

Hope that helps mate

5. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hope that helps mate[/QUOTE]

Very helpful. Thank you sir!

sampelligrino likes this.
  6. johnr265

johnr265 Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2010
    Mid-Atlantic
    Be aware that some of those may not be polarized so make sure to check. I am a huge fan of Maui Jim sunglasses (all are polarized). I also strongly prefer the amber to the gray green lenses because the amber give you more contrast (better for driving)

7. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  8. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You have a battery tender for a battery tender itself!!! Lol.

10. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
  11. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    This is by far one of my favorite threads on Ferrarichat.

I mean, look at the greatness of that shade of grey in the last photo Sam posted... Beautiful.

It may very well be the prettiest 488 I’ve ever came across.

Thanks for the photos, Sam. Keep enjoying to the fullest, both life and that gorgeous 488 of yours.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

of2worlds and sampelligrino like this.
  12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks for such kind words Nuno

Happy I decided to journal my journey with my first Ferrari and helps me realize that the dream came true. A feeling I hope to never take for granted, being the bug eyed kid staring at the Ferrari in the parking lot or driving by on the road like many others I'm sure. Very easy to look towards the next thing, or the newer or faster car, or even the older car (360 CS is one I want to grab in a couple years), but this will always be my first one and one I got to spec to boot so it's fun to savor the moments

A cool little fun fact as well, my car was finished and left the factory on 4/9/19 per the info from my dealer. Exactly a year ago prior, on 4/9/18 I was in Maranello with my father touring both museums during a Porsche euro delivery, unbeknownst to me that I would later become an owner myself :)

13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Sam,

It is my firm belief we’re truly connected to the cars we love, often through intangibles that may mean nothing to some, but that mean the world to us (my 458 for instance left the factory on route to be delivered on the exact day of my birthday). It will never get old and knowing the impeccable type of owner you are, I know you’ll never take it for granted.

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

Caeruleus11 and sampelligrino like this.
  14. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Was the armor skid plate able to cover where you scratched her ?

15. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    yup, forgot to ask to have pics taken when the car was on the lift getting it installed but this pic from scrape armor (no affiliation) can capture it way better than I ever could. Circled where I scraped (nowhere near as bad as the pic), just about undetectable but you can make a little bit of it on the very front portion which I don't mind

Nip and tuck is complete. Really happy with the alu dead pedal, matches the brake/gas pedal perfectly for an OEM look, and scrape armor is on so hopefully that's the end of worrying about nicking the underside

Chris the service manager at Ferrari South Bay is the man, love working with that guy. Apparently he's been selected as one of the top worldwide and flying to Maranello next month to compete, told him to kick some ass! Forza Chris & Forza Ferrari

Image Unavailable, Please Login

R37047 likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You installed scrape amore ? Did they pop rivet it ?

17. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Dealer installed it as they are on the list of preferred installers from Scrape Armor themselves, they've done a bunch of these installs already is what they told me

Most of the skid plates mounts on top of existing factory drilled points, but a few tiny pilot holes need to be drilled in to secure the front edges. It's the tradeoff between having those done, and just allowing the painted underside to take the potential beating. Since I plan on really driving my car and in various situations including around town with ramps/inclines of various degrees, I chose the former

Coming from the 911s where it's a replaceable front plastic lip, I very much like that solution rather than leaving the painted body work exposed personally for peace of mind!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The only thing I want to avoid any drilling :( But the plates are really worth it.

One key feature that I do like about the F8 is that what you mention all under body parts around the car are separate pieces that are black or carbon and can easily be replaced if scratched , no painting issue.

Glad you are enjoying your car, she is awesome :)

19. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    The issue I would have with the F8 (not speaking for anyone else) is I'd imagine replacing the gloss black (or CF) parts after they get mauled would not be cheap, assuming on the F8 they really are detachable and not fixed to the body. And in either case (488 or F8) I fear for a scenario where you hit something hard enough and it could lead to a crack or damage beyond a scrape. On cheap ABS plastic like the Porsche front lip or like this Scrape Armor, worry about that a bit less personally.. I am with you on avoiding the drilling but I called Scrape Armor myself to get the full scoop and was told the pilot holes are allegedly small enough to where if you are in a scenario you want the plates off, one could easily have the holes patched/filled/made like new FWIW. It's a trade off either way, no right or wrong answer

& grazie Angelo, I am loving this bella macchina / decision to go for the 488. Was browsing over my window sticker again and so happy again you told me about the headliner and standard mirror, even if you ended up costing me an extra $4k!! lol

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations Sam, great thread, beautiful car in really rich and tasteful spec! I love it!

21. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
  22. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Keep ‘em coming, Sam!

Not only you have a gorgeous 488, but you also possess great sensibility to take photos. Not everyone knows how to really highlight the car’s terrific design attributes and frame them correctly. Easier said than done and you nailed it.

That landscape seems idyllic to drive a Ferrari in.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

sampelligrino and tomc like this.
  23. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    Thank you so much for chronicling your journey, such an inspiring post. I'm in the position to finally strike on a 458. Every time I go to the dealer and sit in one, I get an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and disbelief--it's quite emotional. I'm sure I will break down in a most unbecoming fashion when I finally drive one off the lot. For me that prancing horse has always been a symbol of incredible gravity, the ultimate zenith of my automative obsession. I'd see them here and there growing up and wonder to myself how anyone could ever manage to get one...

About 18 years ago my father took me to the Audi dealer to check out a new model and in the parking lot was a TDF 360 Berlinetta, gated. I absolutely lost it. I started rattling off the specs, extolling the incredible rarity of a real manual Ferrari being parked right here, next to our car! The owner came outside and indifferently unlocked it, somewhat bemused by my enthusiasm. "Hey kid, do you want to sit in it". The adrenaline kicked in. I remember tepidly tugging on the door pull, the feeling of the door cracking open, exposing the glorious Daytona seats. As my father chatted with him, I slid inside, careful that my buttons and zippers were out of harms way. I then sat there, day dreaming, telling the owner he was a legend for going with the manual. He asked if I knew how to drive a stick (in fact, my Father had taught me on our 2000 Audi TT in a large parking lot we'd go to so I could drive every weekend) and then said, "why don't you go ahead and start her up".

I will never forget it. The beautiful key, the high pitched exotic car starter sound, and the glory trumping to life as the whole car vibrated to the rarified cadence of Italy's soul. I will never forget looking at that yellow shield on the wheel, the smell of the leather, the symphonic cacophony, the feel of the metal shifter in my hand, and getting genuine pins and needles. He then said "rev her up". I moved my big toe and exuded perhaps 1 nm of force, terrified to hurt the car. "No, really rev it, come on, she's all warmed up". I obliged. It is enshrined in the annals of my memory, forever a fervent push for betterment, a symbol of dreams being realized, of the endless possibility. I told myself I would do whatever I had to do, I'd study more, I'd work harder, I'd fight, I'd be more modest with things that don't give me pleasure and/or aren't needed--so long as I could have a Ferrari. There was no substitute. It was the ultimate.

Now I'm not suggesting that whatever confluence of events that lead me here were fully in my control, or that the greater realities of life didn't sometimes lead me to stray form those ideals. But that feeling has always remained when I see a Ferrari. While many other see a symbol of excess and perhaps telling symbol of the reality of American economics, I see a dream.

I have already bought a set of ninja star OEM wheels for the my Michelin Pilot Alpine PA4 snow tires that'll be going on the car. It will be no garage queen. I love that you're using the car and enjoy every moment. Congratulations to you, lovely spec, and thank you for the write up.

m3doc, Thecadster and sampelligrino like this.
  24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Thanks man, it's amazing the emotions these cars can solicit. You said it better than I could, being a kid admiring these machines from afar

Wait until you get yours and go for your first drive, every time I'm behind the wheel I feel like that same kid again grinning from ear to ear. Even just holding the key in hand and walking up to the car is a special feeling

Best of luck & congrats on the 458, it's a lovely car!

25. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Crossed 2000 miles yesterday on a beautiful Sunday up the Pacific Coast Highway past Malibu to Point Mugu. Been an incredible journey so far

Attached Files:

stavura, Thecadster, MANDALAY and 3 others like this.