My First F-car! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My First F-car!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by yellow wheels, Jun 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Great looking car! When you get a chance I think it would be great to see a video posted of how the whole car is operated by you. I think the targa is definitely the way to go.
    BT

2. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    That is sooo cool! Congrats on the car man, it is gorgeous and Giallo GTSs are quite rare too! Enjoy it and welcome to a very exclusive brotherhood.

3. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Beautiful ride and the best personalized tag I've seen. :) Congrats and enjoy!

4. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    yellow, thank you for the very inspirational post. Keep up the great work, and enjoy that yellow beauty!

5. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    gorgeous rig, marc!!! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. cgperry

cgperry Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chas SC
    Full Name:
    Charles Perry
    Beautiful, Marc! Great choice!

I'd second the request for a video on how the hand controls work. It looks elegantly simple, but I'm still not sure how you steer and use the paddles and the hand controls all together.

Happy Driving!! Great tag!

7. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Wecome to the board. Ferraris are a joy. Out of curiousity, wasn't there a woman who suffered similar injury and raced her 348 or 355 with hand controls a few years ago?

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    You are the man!

How do the controls work?

9. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    That is just plain wonderful to see. Amazing car as well!

10. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Damn Marc, you are the man! What an inspiration! We sometimes get blinders on in life and get caught up in our own personal dramas, ie mileage, models, exhaust etc. Then somebody like yourself comes along and pow, the little dramas suddenly become totally meaningless in perspective. Bless you my friend for bringing the day and its promise a bit closer. And have a blast out there storming around the Michigan back roads. John

ps Marc I was just showing your post to my girlfriend and we got to talking about the mechanics of your set up. Can you explain how it all works? Do you operate clutch and gas with one hand and shift with the other?

11. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yup, Carol Hollfelder http://www.tiger-racing.com/driver_bio.html watched her race the 355 a few times on Speedvision. Never ceases to amaze me either. I can't for the life of me figure out how the hand controls on this 355 work though. Engineering rules.

Oh and welcome to the club Marc. Beautiful choice!

-R

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Congratulations! Beautiful car. Nothing like finally living the dream.
    John

13. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Never say Never!

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very beautiful and Congrats on the new car!

15. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Congrats man! :) :)

16. kerbie

kerbie Formula Junior

Jul 2, 2004
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Kevin Carbotte
    First off congrats on the new car!! Very impressive. I love that color on 355s!

As everyone has said already, its very impressive that you can drive that with hand controls. I never imagined that was possible. Way to go!

I also love that plate! very fitting.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Like most guys with a 15 year old mindset, i looked at ALL of the pictures before reading ANY of the text...

When i saw the plate, i thought it was unique... It wasn't until after i read the text that a smile broke over my face and thought it very witty...

Marc, you're an inspiration to us all... Congratulations on not letting a disability stand in your way and congratulations on the success that brought you to Ferrari ownership... And a BEAUTIFUL Ferrari at that...!!! Feel free to tell us the serial number if you want... :)

Lastly, but certainly not least, welcome to FerrariChat... It's already very evident that you'll be a great contribution to the community...

Oh, PS, any chance you could get those hand controls made out of carbon fiber...? i think that would kick ass - and they would be so much lighter, too...!

18. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Nice car. Congrats! Enjoy her.

19. polartech

polartech Karting

Mar 4, 2004
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Geoff
    Wow... !
    You`re inspirational ;-) Gorgeous car too.
    Thanks for posting. Enjoy the ride.

20. tvu

tvu Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Trieu
    That's awesome! Congrats on the new ride, and do tell us more about it, and your driving impressions.

21. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    congratulation.
    i admire your passion and determination.

22. yellow wheels

yellow wheels Karting

Mar 17, 2005
    clarkston, MI
    Full Name:
    marc henretta
    #47 yellow wheels, Jun 23, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys
    Thanks for the kind words. I never thought I'd get 43 replies to my post.

I've always be a very optimistic person and have never let the disability get in my way. I've always thought there is a positive to every negative and I've always believed you have to have fun in life. Being in a chair is not the end of the world....now I get all of the good parking spaces and I also get the big stall in the bathroom! The tag for example, I think it's pretty funny but some folks don't like it....some folks are just too serious.

As far as the controls go, they are custom and very easy to use....it helps when your best friend owns a machine shop. The set in the photos are made of aluminum but the idea of making them out of carbon fiber is very intriguing, much more trick. As far as their operation, you brake with your hand on the "T" handle and gaz-it with your thumb. I often switch hands while driving so I can up-shift with my right hand, down-shift with my left hand, other times if I'm just taking it easy, I'll just reach over with my left hand to up-shift.

I work for DaimlerChrysler and change vehicles frequently. I needed a set of controls that I could install in a short period of time. I can put them on in about 10-minutes, take them off in less time than that. There are many different types of hand driving controls. The "permanent" style controls usually require modifications to the car and take hours to install. Six years after I "endoed" on my bike (1995) I raced a Dodge Neon in the SCCA, SSB class and those hand controls were completely different because the car was a true 5-speed. Like someone mentioned in one of the earlier posts, the gas was a twist-grip (motorcycle style) on a bar that was mounted slightly below the turn signal lever. You pushed the lever in to brake, twisted the grip to go and we had a switch mounted on the lever that operated the clutch. When I wanted to shift, I just pushed the button with my left hand, then manually shifted the car with my right hand. This set-up worked ok but at times I was short a hand. With that set-up you could not shift in a corner. Someone else mentioned Carol Hollfelder, who raced a 355 with ultra-trick hand controls. I believe the controls on her car were a duplicate of the hand controls on former Ferrari F-1 driver Clay Regazoni's car.

If you would like to see video of me driving the car, I'd be happy to shoot some. That actually sounds like it would be fun. I'll work on getting that done but it might take a while.

Again guys, thanks for all of the kind words. I'm flattered that many of you think I'm an inspiration to you. Personally, I don't see it. I'm just an every day guy who works hard, plays hard and likes to have fun. I'm very thankful for everything that's come my way in life.

Thanks again. marc

Couldn't resist posting one more pic of the car and one more pic of some short guy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. cdallen2004

cdallen2004 Karting
    BANNED

Dec 24, 2004
    YOU MY FRIEND, ARE A HERO IN MY BOOK!

CONGRATULATIONS...GOD BLESS YOU...AND HAPPY F-MOTORING :)

I almost cried when I read about your condition...you truly are an inspiration....my goodness, I feel like something is about to explode in me here...ooh, thank you Jesus!...Halleleujah!...Lord I thank ya!

Congrats again..

24. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Saw this thread for the first time, you are an inspiration!

25. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Welcome to the world of Ferrari! Unless someone is already marketing your gas and brake extentions, if I were you, I would start marketing them. My sister-in -law had a van built for her and her wheelchair that cost a ton. Your idea is very simple and to the point and could save people a lot of money.