my first F430..pending PPI..what else should I check for? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

my first F430..pending PPI..what else should I check for?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ositosucio, Dec 23, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #26 E60 M5, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Phil,
    If you need I can swing by and take a look at the car for you. FOW is not to far from the house.
    You could get the ppi done at Competizione and Sports Cars.
    Have you already purchased the car??

2. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil

yes but thanks for the offer

3. ositosucio

ositosucio Rookie

Dec 10, 2008
    bad news...

during the test drive a warning light kept coming in.

the dealer told me it was the tire pressure warning.

When I got home I checked on the manual ( I have a copy of it ) and low and behold the warning light was for a Suspension Malfunction...

Needless to say I am not feeling comfortable with that place anymore. How serious is this warning?

I have moved on from this vehicle but id love to know how serious of an issue this could have been.

thank god for this site and ***********.... just dodged one

4. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Could be very serious or not much of a problem. Being told it was the TPMS would be enough to make me say forget it. Patience pays big rewards when buying a used Ferrari.

Dave

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    Run, dont walk away...there are many cars out there and prices just keep coming down...you dont want a major headache....

6. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    You definately need to make sure the service writer and the mechanic KNOW WHOM THEY ARE WORKING for. If your paying, they need to KNOW IT. I would go with a list of critical concerns that I wanted addressed with specificity.

7. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    My Ferrari dealer tells me that the mainfold leaks will be covered under emission warranty (7 years) even if the factory warranty has expired. Can someone confirm this?

Thanks.

8. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Take a look in your warranty booklet. The only items the EPA requires a warranty for 8 years are: cats, OBD, and ECU's. Everything else is required for only two years. State laws can vary and the factory warranty is 3 years for coupes, 4 years for spiders.

Dave

9. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    #34 vf430, Dec 26, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
    Dave , I dont own a F430 yet, I am researching and learning as much as i can. I am planning on trading my 996 tt for my first Ferrari next summer.

Thanks for the information. Btw ...Are you DaveHelms on Ferrari life? ..If yes, you are a great resource to count on.

10. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Here isthe info from EPA: http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

The same info is in the warranty booklets with the cars. You should also check Illinois laws. You should also check with local dealers as to the cost of replacement. I've heard 4-12K but it is all heresay. I was at the national meet this summer and impressed with the service from Continental changing my brake pads and checking a CEL for me. I had our dealer check my manifolds carefully just before the warranty expired and they were just starting to leak. This was about 12K miles which seems pretty typical. Hopefully the new design solves the problem. I have not heard of any failures with them yet.

Dave Helms is on here as DaveHelms. Different Dave.

Dave

11. Hellfrost

Hellfrost Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    Naples, FL
    I hated Ferrari Of Washington, I heard they got new management though. They did some service to my modena before I bought it and they screwed the car up pretty good.

12. faraji777

faraji777 Rookie

Dec 20, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Phil
    well I'll let you know how this goes as I've not yet driven the car after they did the service

13. Hellfrost

Hellfrost Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2009
    Naples, FL
    I am sorry I made an error. I did not see the DC part in Ferrari of Washington DC. I thought we were talking about Ferrari of Washington.

I hope your test drive goes well!