My First Ferrari 250 GT SWB One-Off 3269 GT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari 250 GT SWB One-Off 3269 GT

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by wbklink, Sep 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Was burgundy when Bill Karp had it; painted by a local guy who specialized in movie cars. Not a very good job, if I may say so.

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #177 Ed Niles, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    BJK likes this.
  3. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    So Ed how did it all stop, your musical Ferrari chairs? Was it the run up of prices in the 80's?

By the way, has anyone noticed how that whole point of view that it's not a return to the 80's because Ferraris these days are selling to end users is no longer the case? Three dealers selling on the same 330 America at Monterey this year tacking on about $20,000 each. Not to mention other instances reported here of less then stellar examples that seem to be trading between dealers until a customer, (ahem) sucker is found.

4. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Well, Yale, that's about it. In the 80's or 90's the prices got out of control (or so it seemed at the time!) and everyone's cousin was a Ferrari broker. I never was enamored of "brokering" and I was pretty much priced out of the market. So I decided to just get on with the lawyering. Not as much fun, but more reliable income, and most of us have to make a living.

5. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Ed,
    did you keep anything? I know your profile says "none" at the moment, but did you keep something for a while, after getting out? Doesn't the itch come back, even for something like a 308/328?

George

6. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Oh, I've had a few: a 400i, a 355 6-speed, and now a Mondial which I took in trade for the 355. One of these days I will have all the little bugs worked out and find out if Mondials are, indeed, sale-proof. I found the 355 to be eye-opening: really fast compared with something like a 308, and altogether a great ride, although at my age I needed a block and tackle to get out of it!

7. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    I can't imagine any of the new cars mean anything to you after the historic crew of cars you have owned. These older cars are about evocation; of a time, of a feeling, of an aura. New cars are just - great - but the excitement doesn't come (at least for me) without the smell of burnt fuel and oil, or the sliding around a turn. Did you get bored of the old ones after awhile? Were the 50's ones hard to use? Were the old ones you had ever your daily drivers? Did you always expect prices to go back to what they had been? Sorry for all the questions.

Yale

8. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Sure, some of them were dailies, including 0515GT, shown in another thread here at Firenze (Florence). When I first brought it in, it was all white and had the triangular race sticker shown on some old photos on the rear window. I remember getting stuck at a traffic light on a sharp incline and (wouldn't you know it?) a
    caddy pulled up 2 feet from my bumper. It still had the old multi-disc clutch at that time, and I knew I was going to dent the rear or burn out the clutch. After I couldn't get the Cad driver to back up, I chose the clutch. It was things like that that made me wonder about the concept of "daily driver." But one did feel like a king drivin' 'em. Favorite drivers were the 275GTB/C S/N 9057 and any of several SWB's. Ones that I tried to keep as strictly drivers included a S2 330GT to which I added A/C, and a 308 GT4. I gave up on the 330 after another lawyer backed into the nose and then denied it, and gave up the 308 as a mechanic (doing me a favor?) had installed a "Daytona" clutch, which was too tough for my wife's leg. Forgive me; I ramble sometimes.

9. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    There is not one person reading this site who would EVER complain about your "rambles." Unlike with Corbusier, in your case, more is more!

10. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    #185 Ed Niles, Sep 15, 2011
  11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Ed is one of my heroes. He probably wont remember but I called at his office long ago, before the internet, to ask him a question trying to win a R&T Ferrari quiz!!! It was what Ferrari had a tommy gun as a emblem... Of course the Ferrarina. I did not win that one but came in second on another R&T contest where you were asked to write an imaginary Ferrari essay. I wrote I visited the factory and was shown a new secret car the SuperAmerica, of course this was years before the reissue. I won a R&T hat!! HAA

I could only dream of all the cars Ed has been privy to........... Glad to see he had a GT4 which is probably my only Ferrari. I love it dearly, but wish I had a Nembo Spyder though or this other Bertone Ferrari!!!

Rob

12. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
  13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    #188 Aardy, Sep 28, 2011
  14. firrare

firrare Rookie

Dec 19, 2009
    France
    Full Name:
    Luc
    Paolo Lena II Coppa San Marino Rimini april 27, 1958

15. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    wow those factory photos went for 20$ wish the GT4 stuff was that good a deal! HA

16. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    keep your great stories coming - my favourite read at fchat!

17. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp

And got to see this great pic of my old car.

No problem on the high-jack Ed, it's all good stuff.

cheers,

Bill

18. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #194 wbklink, Aug 7, 2012
  19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    This has become my favorite thread on this site. I'm a drummer too, and I can keep my dream of showing up at a gig driving a Ferrari which isn't an FF or the Breadvan.

May be time for a drummer thread on F Chat...

20. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    #196 wbklink, Jul 23, 2015
    1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Speciale | Gooding & Company

Thanks to all of you who got touch with me to let me know that she was going to be at the Gooding auction.

Also that's not the original tool kit that came with the car, the rear shelf and the part between the two seats should be covered in same diamond pattern not carpet.

Second picture shows the correct horse on the driver side grill.

I still have that it's a one off made for this car.

The sad part for me is that she will never be driven and enjoyed
    the same way I enjoyed her so many years.

Cheers,

Bill
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. J430S

J430S Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2008
    NY
    Full Name:
    John M
    Can you tell us what you sold it for?

22. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Sorry John, Not something I discuss .

Cheers,

Bill

23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Bill, any recollections regarding another quite unusual detail currently featured on the car.
    The back window appears to be tinted while all other glass seem to be clear (= non-tinted) !?!

24. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There seem to be a few detail differences in the interior as well.