My first Ferrari, an 812 just before shutdown | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My first Ferrari, an 812 just before shutdown

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by SeattleStew, Apr 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Amen. The 812 is very fast but outrunning the lunatics might be asking too much

2. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Ohhhh no, it won’t be going to actual Seattle lol. I live on the Eastside, so I should be good driving it around

3. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Officially picked up the car last Tuesday (8/11) from the electronics shop with ~45 miles on it. It was about a month from when I took delivery, as it went through PPF and radar detector and laser jammer install. As of today I have 1,300 miles on the car. Have taken a couple in state road trips, and have been driving it a lot daily.

First thoughts on the car: it is quite literally superfast. The car can be docile and normal when you want, and then brutally fast when you hit the pedal. The noises from the V12 are so insanely good, I love shifting up and down and going through the rev range.

Now I’m off to go drive it some more! Huge smiles every time I drive it
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

430jm, stavura, docapl and 9 others like this.
  4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have 1600 on mine delivered on Mar 30, no long trips, just a lot of driving around, trips to the store, gym, tennis and marina.

5. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Congrats again. It's a grind waiting for it to come back... I just dropped the F12 off for warranty paint touchup (that known issue on the rear venting) and then next week is wrap time, so I'll be without it for two weeks. :( These V12s are phenomenal road trip cars though.

italiafan, wrs and SeattleStew like this.
  6. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Nice! I've been doing big trips since I took a nice week off to go have some fun. Now that it's back to reality, I'll probably be doing daily duties with it, as well as some fun little drives in the area.

The sound of the V12, it's really intoxicating. I just can't get over that sound, and the performance is certainly awesome. Good luck on the wait for PPF to be done, but it's well worth it.Then you can drive it without worry!

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    It's very suitable as a daily driver but parking is important. I go to places where I can find large spots on the end of a row. All of the destinations I listed have good parking spots easily available. I really think this is my most enjoyable Ferrari yet and my previous two were top down cars which are a lot of fun. I thought I would miss the top down but I don't. What I really enjoy is how large the cabin is and how easy it is to put things in the back. It's also a blast to drive aggressively. Checks a lot of boxes for me.

8. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Ferrari has worked some serious magic making this car work as a daily, but then blow the doors off of the car when you want to haul ass. Comfy, awesome storage, and insane performance. Really remarkable the job they did on this one. I plan to keep mine forever.

430jm, stavura, KenU and 6 others like this.
  9. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Oooh don’t say that though....famous last words for many of us. I’ve had a few I promised to never let go....gone and gone.
    I share your sentiment though.

sampelligrino likes this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    stavura, RamsHmb and Caeruleus11 like this.
  11. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Was just out in Eastern Wa with some other Ferrari’s/exotic cars. The roads out here are amazing, and have some pretty awesome views

12. RMSK

RMSK Rookie

Jul 31, 2020
    Louisville
    Full Name:
    RMSK
    I guess I still like value of some sort. I have owned 65-70 cars now have my first Ferrari an 812, never have I ordered one always got one on the lot and got a better deal, I did the same for my 812. Have AMG GTR PRO same deal.

What do I know?

ryalex likes this.
  13. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Congrats? If you move through cars so frequently I can understand not wanting a depreciation hit.

I wanted the the experience, didn’t care about price or depreciation. Value to me was in the experience of ordering my first super car/Ferrari.

14. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Since you asked I'm not sure what you know. I guess after 65-70 cars you still haven't realized value is subjective

I had the pleasure of speccing my first Ferrari last year (488, now gone) and made sure that I was able to bring my dad with me to do the spec together at the dealership. It was a total blast, lots of back and forth, with an amazing Italian dinner after. I also made sure he was with me when I took delivery of the car. I'll never forget talking with my GM, when I hear the car start behind me for the very first time as pops had cheekily took the key and snuck off to the car. Those memories I'll always cherish, and whatever the monetary hit or loss I took on my 488 was money very well spent for me. Would do it again in a heartbeat

YMMV!

OP - your stealth spec is sweet!!

15. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    #90 Dubaicity, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Ok guys,

picked up my new 812SF at my dealer in Germany exactly two weeks ago.
    The last SF he delivered - in the future GTS and VS available only.
    14 days and more than 3000km later I can say - best decision ever to order this car!

Here are my pros & cons I experienced in the last days:

GPF: I bet no one (who is not driving every day 812SF over a long time) is able to say if it's fitted with GPF or not if not having two different cars side by side - basta!
    Sound is getting louder after a while but that's subjective.

Engine: best I ever had, came from the actual Ferrari V8TT and changed to V12 because I didn't like the changing sound of the V8TT engine even it wasn't equipped without GPF.

Trunk: my wife and I travelled in the car with our Maltese dog through 5 European countries in the last days and even after a lot of shopping everything is still fitting in the car. Luggage test passed :)

Sound System: JBL Sound system is the worst I ever had....

Passenger display: you can't choose the radio after switching to media? wtf...

Still testing - keep you updated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-N970F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mclaren slr, italiafan and wrs like this.
  16. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Congrats and beautiful spec. Out of curiosity, have you spent time in a pre-GPF 812 or are you assuming they sound nearly identical because you’re so happy with yours and couldn’t imagine it sounding better? In the end, that’s what matters most but am curious to know your point of reference.

KenU, Dubaicity and gliazzurri like this.
  17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I found that through the bluetooth it doesn't sound great but if you put the music on the internal hard drive it's much better. I do think it's the best sound of any Ferrari I have had but of course the B&O in my m5, B&W in the Maserati and Bermester in Porsche and AMG were all better than the JBL but not by a whole lot.

Looks like a lot of fun you are having.

Dubaicity likes this.
  18. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    I spend a weekend in a non GPF 812SF last year before I ordered.
    The point is I was going back to V8TT and that engine is regarding the sound a disappointment.
    I missed my NA Ferrari V8 to much in that car regarding the sound but wanted to stay with the additional power of the turbo, result was switching to V12

wrs likes this.
  19. Dubaicity

Dubaicity Karting

Nov 21, 2013
    Germany
    #94 Dubaicity, Aug 21, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    Yepp, my daily driver is an AMG so I'm spoiled by Burmester... first world problems.

I can't say to hear a big difference between bluetooth and hard disk but truth tl be said my old digitised vinyls sound extremely well in the 812SF.

Maybe quality of sound is depending on the kind of music.

wrs likes this.
  20. robstand

robstand Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 13, 2019
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Robert S.
    Congrats on the gorgeous 812. I'm on the Eastside too. Let's go for a drive. :)

SeattleStew and ryalex like this.
  21. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    Awesome! I’m generally available weekdays when the roads are, slightly, less busy lol. Shoot me a message, I know there are is at least one other forum member wanting to go for a drive

22. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Yeah I'm up for going for a drive. I also have good time flexibility during the week to pop out.

As for the JBL system in my opinion it's the best stereo I've ever had in a car. It actually works well at speed and can cut through the car noise if you need it to. I really enjoy listening to it compared to any other car I had (this is the upgraded system). I use carplay to feed it music, don't really use the normal stereo/nav/etc ever because my phone does all that.

sampelligrino and SeattleStew like this.
  23. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    The carplay has been awesome in the 812, I love having it right there on the right screen. I also think the sound system is pretty good, maybe not the best I've had, but the sound through the carplay USB is quite good. I too did the upgraded system. I have yet to use anything not through carplay to compare against, and I don't plan on it lol.

I'll try and plan a drive here soon. I'm moving in a week and a half, so after that's done I'll be vastly more available.

24. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    It's been awhile since I updated this thread, but I figured why not post a roughly 1 year later post on my experiences being new to Ferrari ownership.

I've had the car in my possession since 8/12/2020 and I've put on roughly 12,500 miles since then. I've installed a capristo X-pipe, capristo valve controller, and novitec lowering springs, as well as full PPF and tint, and a radenso ultimate system with front and rear laser jamming. I've driven it in the winter with continental DWS06 tires and now am on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires for the summer. The rear glass recall was handled a couple months ago, and Ferrari NA covered the cost on retinting my rear window. My local dealer has treated me exceptionally well in both sales and service and I'm thoroughly happy with them. I also have an F8 spider on order, to show up "this time next year" though that is always a moving target lol.

I've gone to numerous car displays and test drives with demo cars at my dealer, and plan on participating with a track day put on by my dealer. The events Ferrari puts on are always fun and I enjoy participating whenever possible. Buying a car and subsequently getting to drive around the latest and greatest Ferrari's sure is a great perk.

Living with this car has been a dream come true. It loves the back roads and going for long GT drives at whatever pace you want to do it at. If you want to absolutely murder the pavement, stick it in race and flog away. If it's time to just chill out, hit bumpy road mode but keep it in race because all the other modes aren't nearly as good in the dry. As a fellow member pointed out to me early on, wet mode is pretty magic in the wet. He was completely correct, and the only modes I use are wet and race depending on the conditions. In wet mode you can pretty much just slam the throttle down and the computer will stop you from killing yourself instantly. Don't try that in race or above though, it'll let the car step out some before reigning it back in.

Giving thrill rides to friends and family is probably my favorite thing with this car. Not many people ever get to experience a Ferrari in their lifetime, so I love to share. The passenger display makes it even more fun for the passenger as they can see the speed going up at a bonkers rate and the gear shifts while experiencing the g-forces. This car is like a theater, and the passenger display just adds to it.

Before I added the novitec springs I felt the car had slightly excessive amounts of body roll, which another member also created a thread about. After putting the springs on that slight excess of body roll is now eliminated and the car really stays planted through corners at high speeds. I also feel like the ride is actually slightly smoother, it's as though the spring rate is just a little better for the dampening. In bumpy road mode the car glides over bumps smoother but you still know they are there.

The exhaust is just the most pure sound, and the xpipe really improved it. The valve controller gives just the slight boost of sound to the car at low RPMs and is perfect volume wise for me.

Overall I love the car, and can't wait to drive it even more. That said, time to head on out for a drive!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. -K1-

-K1- Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2008
    Northern Italy
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No shields for the win

SeattleStew likes this.