My first Ferrari | FerrariChat

My first Ferrari

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by turbomangt, Jun 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    This is a true story that I think this group might enjoy hearing. Way back when I first opened my business, I knew what kind of cars I wanted to work on. Exotic sports and high end luxury cars. But I knew the owners of these cars were particular with regard to who works on them. I was a no body, so I had to earn my stripes. After a year Perfect Auto Finish opened, I still had not detailed a Ferrari. So one day while I was in a strip mall, I saw what I found out later was a 1988 Mondail, open top. I went door to door asking people who owned that car. I finally got the word it was the owner of a wireless phone company. I walked into the office and asked if I could meet him. I remember his puzzled look he gave me when I introduced myself to him, and said I wanted to detail his car. (He must of thought I was clearly off my rocker) But after 10 minutes of talking to him about car care, he was convinced I had a passion for what I do. Still, he wasn't ready to hand over the keys, but he did agree to let me detail his 740I BMW the next day. "If you do the kind of work you say, and I'm impressed with it, you can have the Ferrari." Well, the rest is history, he is one of my best customers to this day. Now many Ferrari's later, I still enjoy sharing that moment. Gary

2. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That's a great story, Gary. Shows you had not only talent, but balls to match! I hope business is good; it's the kind of thing I probably should have gone into, since I've always loved that kind of work and am a perfectionist at it. I was at a bar recently and got into a "discussion" with one of the managers of a small detailing chain about some of their methods. He didn't seem to enjoy someone else knowing anything about car care.

3. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    There should be NO secrets in this industry. I focus directly on consumer education on car care. When people know exactly what is involved in "true" detailing they have more respect for the profession. Problem is most shops target high volume and quality takes a back seat. Before I opened my shop, I worked at a commercial large volume car wash/detailing center to see what goes on there. I was shocked that every car that came in for a detail got an acid bath. That's right--an acid bath. WHY? Because thats the quickest way to remove all surface contaminants. Exposure to acid will soften the paint, repeated applications spell diaster. This is why many people are fearful of going to a detail shop. Thus, auto detailing 101. I'm currantly writing an article for a trade magazine about the standards in detailing. I'm working with group of my peers to form an association that will qualify people before they open shop. Its time to set the bar. Gary

4. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Just had to say it but, anybody that knows me well and knows my nature will attest to the fact that I speak my peace and I say what I think.

Gary, I know that you're trying to promote your business, and that you're probably very good at what you do. And that your advise it greatly appreciated

But please, pony up and become a paid advertiser on 'Chat'. It will help to let FerrariChat continue as the premier Ferrari info site.

Or.....forget what I said......I have nothing to gain or lose if you don't.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Skip, you got a point there.

Rob has a series of additional improvements in store (now that we somewhat banned the trolls).

6. turbomangt

turbomangt Karting

May 20, 2004
    Roselle IL
    Full Name:
    Gary Kouba
    I don't have a problem with that, although I may be spreading myself a little thin. If you saw what I have on my table, you'd understand. I would love to hear from those poeple that bought and tried my products at Fox Valley. Feedback? Gary