My First Ferrari! | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari!

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Shmichael, Oct 8, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shmichael

Shmichael Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2022
    Orange CT
    Full Name:
    Sean-Michael
    Hello, all. I am new to the chat, and new to Ferrari ownership.

After a lifetime of dreaming, I purchased my first Ferrari about two weeks ago. It is a 2012 FF with about 11K miles and in beautiful condition! I am especially proud of the compromise involved: I have three young children, so I am telling myself that this is a practical family car. Of course, if it ever sees rain or snow, I'll probably cry...

I snapped a couple of (pretty bad) pics in my driveway the other day. Enough to give you the general impression.

That is the end of the good news.

I was going to ask for your help to figure out a horn that isn't working -- although it suddenly worked for an hour yesterday -- but today the check engine light came on with a note telling me to take it to a Ferrari dealer. I've put about 150 miles on it so far, and I haven't even found my shop in Connecticut yet. I'm hoping it is something simple like a software update, although I suppose even a simple fix will be an adventure.

I am very open to suggestions on great repair shops, diagnoses on horns and engines, or connecting with others in CT. Looking forward to a long relationship in these threads!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    Congrats!!!!! And welcome to Ferrari ownership! The car is just stunning! I'm sure dime folks will chime in on a good Indy shop to take it to in Connecticut. And yes! The family car!

Shmichael likes this.
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Thank you for the write up and sorry to hear about your niggling problems. As ever, the first port of call will be to ensure that you have a recent/new battery to rule out low voltage as a source of your problem.

These cars are superb in rain and snow (as our Canadian board members will testify). And there’s a YT video somewhere of @RickLederman flying along in the snow in his. Enjoy it as the maker intended!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

otakki and Shmichael like this.
  4. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    did you check the fuse?

5. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    prits_88, otakki, bumcubed and 2 others like this.
  6. Shmichael

Shmichael Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2022
    Orange CT
    Full Name:
    Sean-Michael
    For the horn, right? That was my intention when I went several days without it working. But the other day, it sprang to life and beeped on command. I'm at a loss for why it would work intermittently.

7. Shmichael

Shmichael Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2022
    Orange CT
    Full Name:
    Sean-Michael
    You are my hero! My kids aren't allowed to talk about ice cream in the car at this point...

550nitis and FerRrari like this.
  8. sunghyun7

sunghyun7 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2019
    contact corrosion can give you intermittent problems. I don't know where the horn is on the FF but you can disconnect, spray with your favorite contact cleaner, and reconnect. Do that a few times. I think it's worth a shot. I personally use DeoxIT whenever I have intermittent issues. I would change out the relay too if it's a standard relay. Good luck!