My GTO: first impressions | Page 14 | FerrariChat

My GTO: first impressions

Discussion in '612/599' started by M-individual, Jun 23, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpohl402

jpohl402 Formula Junior

Very sharp, congrats !

2. nepola

nepola Karting

Apr 21, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Full Name:
    John Nepola
    I just got back from Maranello and I was lucky enough to actually see my GTO on the production line. I ordered a red car with a white stripe. It should be completed by now and I think it will be delivered to NJ in a few weeks. After reading the posts here, I am psyched! I have owned two 599's and currently have a 2010 HGTE. I am looking forward to getting behind the wheel of my GTO soon. I will report back soon.

3. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Congratulations. Should be an interesting colour combo.

You will be impressed with the GTO. No doubt. Please post pics when she arrives.

Cheers,

M

4. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Going to pick-up my GTO from her winter sleep at the dealer tomorrow. Weather is good and roads free of salt. Time to put miles on the beast and keep the HGTE company.

I can't wait to hit the start button and drive off :). Winter was too long. Time to wake up the neighbours ;)

Cheers,

M

5. SimonSays

SimonSays Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2005
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Good news :)
    Do you keep using the HGTE throughout the winter? What's that like?

6. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Yes I do but I haven't driven it in the snow. When temperatures are cold one has to be careful. Cold tires = tricky handling but with the magn. set on comfort mode it is perfectly OK. Great car the HGTE. Simply love it. Only bad part ... I can't stand dirty cars so I did a lot of cleaning ;)

7. AndrewDinCH

AndrewDinCH Formula Junior

May 23, 2010
    Suffolk coast, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    It must have been a long winter wait, enjoy it!

8. coupe1

coupe1 Formula 3

Jan 15, 2007
    Singapore
    I have driven a friend's Gto..yes, the exhaust is simply gorgeous under load. Deep bellow when flooring it...rising up to a scream when nearing 6k rpm. Nice.
    T, do you think the exhaust will fit a GTB ?

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Am I allowed to ask one dumb question without wasting my time with the non-functioning search feature here?

Can someone give a few bullet points about the difference between the GTO and a regular F599? You see, I kinda dropped out for a while and missed all this.

Thx. Dale

10. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Dale.

Thanks for serious question in an age where flipant lunacy seems to run rampant on the Chat!

I'll start the ball rolling and suggest a few of the Scuderia GTO members continue it by chiming in--note: I'm traveling so all of this is from memory. Pls forgive any slight mistakes--and feel free to correct any as the thread continues....

Here's the easy stuff--

Note: many of the below were taken directly from the xx version:

1. 661 hp vs +/- 620 hp? (effectively same engine as xx but with cats included and detuned from 9000 rpm redline)
    2. Significantly higher torque than GTB
    3. as noted, new redline of 8400
    4. 100 kilos lighter than GTB (Euro form/special seats and no radio), from among other areas
    thinner aluminum panels and more carbon used on exterior
    thinner glass
    seats/see above
    lighter magnsium wheels and titanium bolts and hardware
    less interior appointments and more carbon throughout interior

5. 2nd Gen Carbon Ceramic brakes with carbon ceramic pads and new wheel donuts
    6. 2nd gen shocks--magnelogic and calculated to adjust up to 1000x per sec
    7. GTO specific design larger rear tires--335s, larger front tires--285s--along with suspension and aero, effectively producing "dead" neutral steering dynamics
    8. revised aero package throughout including: lowered, special additional carbon front splitter, carbon "lip" extensions around under body, additional vents on hood and rear quarter panels, raised rear spoiler area, larger and revised diffuser and revised undertray---all of which are said to double downforce at 150-170 with minimal drag increase.
    9. Super Fast F1 box with 60 ms upshifts and 120 ms downshifts
    10. New "auto downshift" feature--hold downshift lever when braking hard and box auto shifts through the gears at full power and at optimum shift points
    11. US version has launch control
    12. Engine has special diamond polished cam lobes and crank redesigned to be thinner and better balanced--various changes said to reduce internal engine friction at full power by up to 12% over standard engine
    13. New Motronic engine management and also new computer suspension/CST management systems (sport, race, no cst, no systems)
    14. Newly redesigned intake system for engine
    15. redesigned, thinner walled and lightened headers and titanium exhaust system--same as xx but with cats included

Sure there's more but all I can think of without reading the manual :)

11. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Regarding the sheet metal...

The doors on the GTO are quite a bit lighter than the doors on the GTB, you really notice the difference on opening and closing.

12. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Euro Version doesn't have Launch Control ?

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    No carpets
    Matt carbon as apposed to the shiny carbon in the GTB
    Much improved more advanced traction management system
    Lower ride height
    Michelin SuperSport Tyres

14. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    You can also notice the bonnet is significantly lighter.

15. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    #340 M-individual, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
    ... and the trunk lid. Very noticeable too.

Dale, in my first post I compared the GTO to the HGTE and to sum it all up, technically it is a totally different car and when you have both sitting side by side in the garage like I do, you really notice that the GTO is different from the HGTE in many aspects.

Last but not least ... they are two different Ferrari's to drive. The HGTE is fantastic and the GTO will simply ... well ... blow you away.

For the rest: TJ gave you a full blown overview (thanks TJ).

Cheers,

M

16. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks for the info! I appreciate it.

Although, I don't understand the market reactions to either car. People keep asking, "What current car will be a collector car in the future?"

Well, duh! Check this out:

Fiorano, Italy Lap times (23)
    Pos Make / Model Time Speed (km/h) Year Power (hp) / Weight (kg) Driven by

1. Ferrari 360 N-GT 1:15.00 145 0 0 / 0 Moist
    2. Ferrari 360 N-GT 1:15.00 d 145 0 0 / 0 Ian Harold-Brown
    3. Ferrari 599 GTO 1:24.00 129 '10 679 / 1495
    4. Ferrari Enzo 1:24.90 128 '02 660 / 1365 Ferrari Tests
    5. Ferrari 458 Italia 1:25.00 128 '09 570 / 1540
    6. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano HGTE 1:25.90 127 '09 620 / 0
    7. Ferrari 599 GTB Fiorano 1:26.50 126 '06 620 / 1748 Ferrari Tests
    8. Ferrari 360 CS 1:26.50 126 '03 425 / 1280 Ferrari Test
    9. Ferrari F430 Scuderia Spider 16M 1:26.50 126 '09 517 / 1350
    10. Ferrari F50 1:27.00 125 '95 520 / 1270 Ferrari tests

The F599 GTO is almost a second faster than the Enzo!

(Note the 360 N-GT are full-on race cars.)

Every body's "number one" choice of tomorrow's collector car, the F40, is almost six seconds slower -- 13. Ferrari F40 1:29.60.

Anyway you look it, the F599 GTO or HGTE is a supercar today and will be one in the future.

Although, truth be known, the Daytona wasn't much loved when it first came out. Compared to the 275 GTBs, it was considered fugly. :)

Of course, I'm Dr. Bottomfeeder, so I should be happy, no?

Problem is I was all set to buy another 550 and drive the snot out it. But... but... but... if these cars keep falling in price, I'm in a heap of trouble now. Devil get thee behind me!

Hi, my name is Dr Who, and I'm a slut for torque.

Dale

17. 06Spider

06Spider Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2010
    Red Sox Nation
    Great review. I was too speechless to write that much. The car is Oh My frrrreeeken God great.

18. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Glad you liked it and I can tell you are as impressed with it as I was (am)! :)

19. elipinski

elipinski Formula 3

May 14, 2006
    Full Name:
    Emanuel
    Nothing more to say or add :))) , agree 100%

20. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2005
    South Texas
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As do we all, my friend! :).

21. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    Now that winter has left the country, the roads are clear of salt and the weather is getting better again with milder temperatures, I have been taking the GTO out of it's winter sleep.

Boy it feels good taking the beast out on the road again. She is just perfect. The handling, the looks, the sound, the acceleration ... I just can't get enough of this car. Call me silly but every time I get in the GTO I feel one with this car. It's like a glove and one that fits just perfectly. While the gearbox in my 612 is very good, the one in the GTO is heaven. Accurate, shifts when you want it to shift and the throttle blibs during downshifts are nothing short of spectacular. The slap in the neck during up shifts: the cherry on the cake :D. And the sound, oh that screaming sound at high rpm ... mmmmm.

Nothing better than a drive in the GTO after a hard day at the office. I don't care what people say about this car being worthy of the GTO badge or not but for me, it deserves it all the way. The complete package works so well together. Everything about this car is just spot on in my opinion.

Given that I have shared my feeling about this car ever since I got it in this thread, I felt I had to continue sharing this with you guys and girls. Come June she will be two years old but she just gets better and more exiting to drive. This is a car one really looks forward to driving over and over again. That's what it is all about for me.

A long GTO season ahead ... what can a man ask more for?

Cheers,

M

22. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Please continue to do so! I look forward to reading about and seeing pictures of your adventures over the coming season. Continue to enjoy her in good health.

23. speed racer

speed racer Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    Burr Ridge IL.
    Full Name:
    PJ
    As Always M.... An amazing narrative..... Have absolutely nothing to add. Can only say that I had mine out just the other day and came home with a smile on my face that refused to leave.

24. greyhair

greyhair Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2011
    Central Valley Ca
    Sir I am living my dull life thru your Paragraphs----please keep them comming.

25. M-individual

M-individual F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2007
    GTO, 458C, GT3RS
    I'll keep sharing my experiences guys :)