My HORRIBLE experience with Naples Motorsport. Pics included with this post! | Page 9 | FerrariChat

My HORRIBLE experience with Naples Motorsport. Pics included with this post!

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by steve miller, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308328LOVER

308328LOVER Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2005
    Lenoir City, TN
    Full Name:
    Thomas Geer
    After reading all these posts
    on this particular thread, I
    have come to this conclusion.

Brokeback Mountain 2

2. MAINEMAN

MAINEMAN Karting

May 27, 2004
    NH
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Forget doing a PPI, if I was interested in buying a $190k Ferrari, I certainly would have driven the 110 miles or so across the state from Parkland to Naples to check out the car first.

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How do you mean?

All Steve did was state what happened. People can't tell the truth anymore?

I would imagine Steve needs to start worrying when he starts lying about things. So far just speaking about his experience with them is all he has done. Nothing wrong with that.

4. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That's a bad assumption, James. Naples should *always* be able to explain to past, present, and potential future customers their official corporate policy on restocking fees...lawsuits pending or not.

What, every customer that walks into Naples Motorsports until all lawsuits are adjudicated is forbidden from learning the NMS restocking policy?!

That sort of "guess" on your part...that Naples can't explain their restocking fee...is a bit uninformed.

Of course they can. Heck, it should be posted on their web page and mentioned in their eBay ads. When you're buying/selling a 6 figure car, your customers will want to know if you have such fees and if so, how much and when, where, why.

A $16,000+ fee bears explaining even if Steve is completely wrong (hypothetically).

5. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    I wonder if STEALING 16k from a unsatisfied customer was worth it to Naples Motorsport after alllll this. Naples is screwed no matter how you cut it. They made a BIG mistake...

6. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    Let me try to put it to you simply then...Ill try to go real slow

1. They do not have to under State of Florida law refund any of his money!

2. The man admits to harming the vehicle "scratch or Nick" whatever.

3. The man paid $200k and didnt want a PPI.

4. The man had buyers remorse.

5. Did I mention he didnt have a PPI

6. 60% of all ferraris have had paint work at sometime. (Oct 02 FML)

7. The filled fluids improperly.... (potential harm to the motor)

8. Finally a PPI would of been a good idea. But with all the money he has it didnt matter.

"Only a fool would defend themselves in a court of public opinion"
    F. Scott Fitzgerald

7. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Even going "real slow," you still took a wrong turn.

Lawsuits or not, every business not only can, but **must** explain their refund policies to their customers.

That's what is being asked of Naples Motorsports right now.

You claimed, in obvious error, that Naples couldn't tell people about their restocking fee policy due to pending lawsuits.

...yet there is simply no chance of your claim being accurate.

And the rest of your non-stop rant missed the point entirely.

You seem to have a dog in this fight. If you've done past work with NMS, that will probably play into those "pending lawsuits" that you mention (e.g. as a witness), but other than that it still doesn't explain the NMS restocking policy.

Perhaps Todd or Rob will save you further embarassment by simply explaining their official policy on restocking fees.

That's what is being asked.

8. JamieO

JamieO Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    All this talk about restocking fees... is it possible that Naples Motorsports didn't mention them in their reply because they don't charge them if they take a car back for a legitimate reason? This is just a question since I don't know the answer.

It still looks to me like Naples proved to Steve that his '03 spider wasn't in an accident when they took the front clip apart but he still wanted to "sell" it back to them so that he could buy the red '05 spider. Now, if this is indeed the case, what dealer buys a car at retail (even if they just sold it a month earlier)? I can understand a money back guarantee if the car is damaged and the dealer knew or didn't know about it prior to the sale, maybe even with a small "restocking fee", but I don't see why Naples should be forced to buy back a car that had not been in an accident just because the owner decided that he really did want a red Ferrari and not a grigio one! It seems very possible to me that Steve probably decided to take a hit on his '03 spider so that he could go and purchase the red '05. It probably wasn't until after the fact that Steve thought he shouldn't have had to lose money on the car (whether it was a big deal to him or not) and decided to post about it here.

9. jpress

jpress Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2005
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This thread is long enough!!!!! STOP already!

10. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    I agree with you that Naples shouldn't be forced to buy back cars. Was that the case? They were forced to buy it back?

Of course, the other side of the coin is customer service/perception. Especially when dealing in high end cars you should know how to please customers (rather than sue them or clean them out via fees).

Likewise, after seeing the "cancelled sale" fee on the posted documents, it's only natural that other high end car buyers are going to question Naples Motorsport about their official policy for this fee (especially a $16,000 fee).

That still seems to be an open question. Surely we'll get an official explanation of their restocking policy before this thread gets locked or moved to P&R (one hopes).

11. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Pathetic really... :mad: I can't believe that you think that joke of an "advertisement" was an appropriate response to this thread.

Personally I think the fact that you would sell a car in that condition after the claims you make about your thoroughness and attention to detail are enough to damage your reputation, without even factoring in the ridiculous restocking fee that you felt was justified when the customer wanted to get out of the deal.

Why not try directly addressing the issues that have been raised here instead of spewing a bunch of BS, and don't to leave out so many details on your side of the story in the process. How can you possibly justify keeping 8% of this deal for a car a customer had in their posession for less than a week and put less than 50 miles on when it was clearly your fault for misrepresenting the product as "perfect" in the first place. :confused:

Regardless of how many happy customers you've had, your business reputation is more greatly impacted by how you treat the unhappy ones.

This particular unhappy customer has told far more than seven to nine others about his experience... You do the math.

Make things right in a situation like Steve's and you can come out of it looking like a hero. Heck, you might have even earned him as a future customer if you had actually honored the "RISK FREE MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!" you tout in your Ebay auctions, instead of the 8% (I'm doing you a favor from the normal 10% :rolleyes: ) restocking fee.

If a more reasonable fee had been charged to unwind this deal (as there were obvious costs involved), without your ridiculous psuedo-NDA attached, I think we both know that Steve wouldn't be here telling this story. If he had mentioned it, I doubt he would have gotten nearly as much support since he admitted to purchasing the car without a PPI. Instead you've chosen to rake this customer over the coals with an exhorbitant return charge for a mistake of your own that you fail to admit. Horribly wrong decision on your part.

= = = = = =

The car was represented as being "perfect" to the customer and his pictures certainly prove otherwise. Did you look at them? Apparently Todd never looked at the car as thoroughly as you suggest he does, or he probably would have found these issues and tried to hide them a bit better. ;)

It doesn't matter if the paint work was caused by an accident or not, or if there was damage beyond the visible exterior paint. The car was advertised as "perfect" and it clearly is not. When you buy something that is supposed to be "perfect" and find that it is not as advertised then it's not classified as "buyer's remorse" when you return it for a refund, it comes a lot closer to fraud.

Did you actually read this thread and look at the photos? There was clearly things wrong with the '03.

He was lied to prior to the sale, and then strong-armed when he asked for what appears to be a clearly justified refund. His side of the story holds a lot more water than the marketing spiel we got out of Naples.

Put down your pom-poms - you're cheering for the losing team here.

= = = = = =

You are twisting his words completely. Try reading the his posts about the refund/donation again... :rolleyes: Here's the first one so you don't have to dig around for it:

>8^)
    ER

12. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    can you explain the bondo on the trunk now :p

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    if there's a money back guarantee, where did the restocking fee come from?

14. brettcp

brettcp Rookie

Sep 15, 2005
    If i found bubbles in the paint hidden by a bra on a $200k car, especially when advertised as "perfect"..... I'd be livid.

-Brett

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Hello, Todd..

Todd..?

16. Dan Ciezniewzky

Dan Ciezniewzky Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2004
    Indianapolis
    his silence is deafening

17. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner
    Without reiterating all the details in the pst few hundred posts, it seems to me that the "restocking fee" amounted to buying the car back at the wholesale price .

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    With a Non-Defame Agreement attached??

Interesting. It would still be good to know Naples' official "cancelled sale" policy. Even better if they'd put that policy up on their web page and in their extensive eBay ads.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    If that's wholesale, I'll get a dealer's license tomorrow!

20. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    wholesale on a car with paint work. ???

21. CornellCars

CornellCars Formula 3

Mar 24, 2005
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Actually on an '03, that is around wholesale, if not a little high given the color combo. It does sound like he paid back to Steve what I would assume he had into the car given the market.

22. Hunters360

Hunters360 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    James Wardwell
    02 and 03 Spiders with low mileage have gone through manheim at an average of $168,000.00 averaging the last 12 cars under 6k miles. do you really think they are worth much more... These cars are 4-5 years old no warranties... And originally the sticker was around what he paid for the car 3 years later.

23. lrattner

lrattner Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2004
    Delray Beach, Fl
    Full Name:
    Dr. Lonnie Rattner

My point being that most dealers want to make 8-10% on cars they resell. So what was called "restocking" was tantamount to buying the car back at wholesale only to resell it again in was appears to be less than a week at retail.

Regardless of all the issues involved, as long as they could get their money from the sale from someone within such a small window of time, a full refund should have been made solely on the basis of keeping a future customer happy.

My feeling has been, after just going through the buying process on my CS, that dealers have the attitude that there are plenty of interested parties out there for their products and they can do whatever they want. Any service business should be based on customer satisfaction especially when you are dealing with a product that is in the 6 figure range. It also seems that most dealers are the most agreeable before the sale. The true nature of the dealer (dealership and salesperson) only really comes out AFTER the sale. Is the dealer really interested in how you like your car after you get it? Did they call to see if there are any issues, etc.?

Even with the several thousand of people who have read these posts, few will remember and Steve's unfortunate experience is destined to be repeated.

24. Morgie

Morgie Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    SF Bay/Carmel
    My experience has been that official Ferrari dealerships stand by their cars in a respectable manner. The F-dealerships that I know carefully screen their cars and stock only "perfect" used cars. Cars with a history of accident or repaint (unless bumper respray) are excluded from consignment.

If something is discovered to be an issue after delivery (i.e. battery problems, paint chip, etc.), they get it fixed at their expense. Car returns may be a different issue and I have no experience or knowledge of a similar story. My impression is that the dealership I work with would take the car back if a repaint or bodywork was discovered after the sale. They would likely deduct a small amt. to fix the scratches, but certainly not expect a 8% restocking fee.

Has anyone seen behavior as described on this thread from an official Ferrari dealership? I would like to know because I have always believed that purchasing from an official Ferrari dealer is worth the higher prices to minimize getting hosed.

25. HOT4RE

HOT4RE Karting

Nov 28, 2005
    LA County, CA
    Full Name:
    (TJ)
    I second to that opinion.