My Latest | Page 8 | FerrariChat

My Latest

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jan 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Boy, that car sure has a lot of parking sensors on it! ;)

2. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I hope you do. If so let me know as I would like one. I have quite an extensive file on this car and this should be included. thanks [email protected] just one man's opinion tongascrew

3. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Hi Jim,

I am going to do exactly the same with my Export....A few years ago they tried to copy a damaged (or missing) Vignale body in England and used a sister car. But there is no sister of mine and I also see this as a challenging engineering job....But why a supercomputer? We use a modular scanner, also used for scanning clay models of new car designs. Within my company I want to edit the cloud (points) to surfaces. We also can check the skills of the craftsmen regarding symmetry.......Pininfarina vs Vignale!

Keep us posted!
    Oscar

4. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #180 Napolis, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not literally a "Super Computer" but I think it's pretty big running a CAD program designed by Dassault. It's the same program that designed P 4/5. I think it's a good idea for safe guarding these pieces of history.

As an aside Dino Competizione is not symmetrical side to side.

Here are a few removable modifications we're making. We've built ducts to bring fresh air into the cockpit from the nose and an adjustable splitter to increase front downforce and get more engine cooling.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Oscar,

You should need to digitize the surface to see the Vignale variations! Is the modular scanner the same as "cloud burst"?

Jeff

6. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #182 ferrarip4, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
    Dassault Systèmes are leaders in CAD, they invented the now famous CATIA CAD software used in the aeronautic and then of course, automotive insdustry. It's part of the French Military Groupd GMID who also own Dassault Aviation, the makers of all (or almost) the French war planes since the second World war..

Not surprising that such a system was used to build your P4-5 and scan your Dino Competizione...

7. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Kind off, it is basically a laser scanner and will deliver a cloud of 3D locations (xyz), and thus a cloud burst. We will use Catia (V5) software to generate the logical surfaces. The same software most 3D designers in car/aero industry are using. Same as Jim/PF is doing. Logic, nice and prevents problems.

Jim, it is French software, so beware........make a good back-up :)
    ciao
    Oscar

8. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Weren't they associated with Matra as well?

9. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    As far as I know Matra and Dassault are not linked...

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My mistake. Matra had its own aeronautic/space division.

11. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Dassault and Matra do work together. An example was with the Arianne 5 and Hermes launch vehicle project that was dropped. Didn't the Dassault
    CATIA CAD software upgrade cause alot of the A380's programs problems?

Beware of Thomson electronics. Remember they sponsored the Ferrari Daytona's and 512BBLM's back in the 1970's. Thomson was the contractor
    that cause several Arianne launch accidents due to poorly designed sofware.

TT

12. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Don't worry Oscar, IBM (Dasault Systèmes' partners) will provide a back door... :)

Matra took over Aérospatiale in 1999, which then merged into EADS (AIRBUS parent company) a couple of years later. Matra (now Lagardère) owns about 12.5% of EADS.

Matra's claim to automobile fame is the 1969 Formula 1 Constructor Championship, quite an achievement for a barely one year old F1 manufacturer!