My Latest... | Page 16 | FerrariChat

My Latest...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    No doubt Paul is right,I wonder if that's where DP picked up yours(LM)..

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    It was probably either a P car interior that was with the factory spares or something David made up from a roll he aquired.

3. etomcat

etomcat Karting

Jul 6, 2004
    Hungary
    Full Name:
    Tamas Feher
    Should Mr. Jim Glickenhaus be worried about relatives? One of them may have the idea to place him under guardianship 'cause he has obviosuly fallen prey to the cult of the obsessive "P" godess, wasting his assets on grace-metal. Even scientology membership must be cheaper if you consider the 4-10 million USD pricetag usually attached to a Ferrari P 330/412.

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thanks for the clarification Mr G, however i was reffering to the "replica" P4 blocks. not to say i know anything about them either way, but i swear they were mentioned in one of the 0846 threads. they were to be used in a kitcar race effort or something of that nature, rather than risking vintage blocks.
    my question centers around the value and rarity of the engines and parts Mr Piper may still have. if they are "genuine" then surely they must have some historic race history, as they only were cast for race cars and spares, as i understand it. thanks, Michael

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah ofcourse they probably do ... but you try and work out which engine was in which car for what race ;) :D

Unless they have Le Mans or other race scrutineering stamps on them it would be close to impossible.

#0858 had a pretty roppie (sp?) racing career in Australia ... so the spare may never have been used (in Australia) I guess.

Pete
    ps: Scuderia Veloce's LM on the other hand did a wonderful job ;) :).

6. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

i dont know how the die hard Tifosi keep up with the dates and codes now, i can imagine that any "spares" Mr P. may have had lying around may have done a little of everything!

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yeah the engine probably held a door open for a while ... ;)

Pete

8. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #383 macca, May 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Regarding the seat fabric in Ferrari F1 cars; in the '50s there were various types - Mike Hawthorn's car in 1958 apparently had brown corduroy! In the early 60s they used the same blue cotton cloth that the mechanics' overalls were made from (before the brown overalls became standard) - see the photo of the 1962 sharknose in the yard at Maranello. The 1963 250P prototypes also used blue cloth and I believe I've seen pictures of the 250LM with blue cloth seats also.

From the pictures of F1 cockpits I've seen (and there aren't many colour shots where the seat is not unseen behind the driver), from 1963 until quilted/upholstered seats were replaced by moulded GRP ones in the early 70s, they were most often black, but sometimes red/black, leather/vinyl. Bandini's car at Monaco in 1967 was black, the 1970 312Bs were red/black, and in one of the Godfrey Eaton books are pictures of a 1967-8 Formula 2 car with red/black. Tod Morici's 312 F1 is indeed in red/black, and the 1964 158 that Surtees drove at the Goodwood Festival last year is black.

And the P4s were indeed red/black.

But I'll keep looking for more colour pictures (the movie 'Grand Prix' sometimes shows real Ferraris amongst the fake F1s, so I'll check that).

Paul M
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #384 P4Replica, May 12, 2005
    Yes - agreed, Paul - separate red and black (ribbed) vinyl / leather. When I wrote:
    The material I was referring to is this coarse red/black woven fabric, originally used in #0900's interior, which David Piper subsequently supplied to Jim, with '#003'. See photos below:

10. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    It looks very well made/purposful and quite durable..with those covered siems(sp?) and such..photo 1 seems of slightly simpler design..

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The red fabric is used in Tod's 67 F1 car as well.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #387 Marcel Massini, May 12, 2005
    Here's a set of photos showing Piper's old P4 body parts having just arrived from Italy in England, in 1974. The man in photo #4 is Tom Meade.

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Way Cool! Do you think that's 0860's body that David used for "0900"?
    As an aside have you ever heard of "Michael Vernon" in connection with owning 0846 in UK at around this time? Purchased from Piper/Cervan?

Best

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Of course, I knew Michael Vernon. He owned a chain of hairdresser stores in UK and had many interesting comp Ferraris in the late 70s and early 80s. As you know, I visited Franco Sbarro's warehouse in Grandson/Switzerland 25 or even more years ago and was shown a P car and a customs carnet titled "0846" and the customs carnet was issued in the name of a company "Cervan Corporation". I understood, at the time, that it was either a company owned by David Piper or by Michael Vernon. Too bad I didn't take any photos!
    Marcel Massini

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #390 Marcel Massini, May 12, 2005
    Jim: Here's a photo for you!!
    I DO OWN THE ORIGINAL TRANSPARENCY AND THE COPYRIGHT FOR THIS PICTURE
    Taken in the factory courtyard in Maranello
    Best
    Marcel Massini

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Wow!!! Look forward to seeing you soon!

Best

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, see you in Sicily.
    MM

18. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    Wow! indeed :O
    Fascinating seeing the differance in the slope angle on 24,0846 looks somehow more agressive ..nice! >:)

19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Jim,

Refering to:
    Why could that body work photo not be #0846? ... it looks to me like the rear panel has massive fire damage!!!

Pete

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Either this is showing the variations in hand made cars or #0846's front ride height is massively higher ???

Pete

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #396 P4Replica, May 12, 2005
    Wonderful photo, Marcel. Thank you for posting it !
    Here is a another similar one of #0846 with #0856, still fresh from their victory in the Daytona 24Hr Continental, being rolled out for the press at Monza.

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Take a very close look. You can also see some chassis remains...
    Round black tubing...

Go back to the 100 pages. Read section about Meade/chassis remains.

23. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    There's possibly an easy way of telling, Jim ....

Marcel.
    Please can you take a closer look at photo #2, and tell us the PROVA number stencilled on the rear bodywork. Is it MO-31 or MO-53 ...?
    Pete.
    To me, it looks like the tail section has been covered with 8 years worth of muck and dust from the Modena junk yard. It certainly is battered - as if had been thrown around a lot. But if you check out photo #1, you will see that the nearside rear bodywork, particularly around the wheelarch, is all intact.

Interestingly, too, there appears to be a tubular chassis underneath the bodywork in photo #3. As these photos are from 1974, could this be #0900's chassis (built by Manicardi & Mesuri (Sp?), being delivered at the same time as the body panels ?

Dare I also suggest that in photo #4, that Tom Meade is possibly shaking the dust out of the interior padding that we discussed, earlier in post #384 ?

Marcel .... any chance that you could post these photos, individually, at 640x480 each, please ? I think they might help answer a few of our questions.

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Fair comment Jim ... but the same bodywork and chassis' don't always travel together ... thus maybe the rear panel was from #0846 and the chassis is something else, or maybe the repaired #0846 chassis??

Remember we have concluded that Piper ended up with the repaired #0846 chassis as #003 ...
    Pete

25. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #400 P4Replica, May 12, 2005
    ....Unlike #0846's nearside rear bodywork !