My Latest... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Latest...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Wow Jim, you just keep buying em left and right ey? :D

What did you pay for it. Nah, scratch that. Don´t even wanna know. ;)

Im looking forward to lots and lots of very revealing pics of this beauty. With or without her twin sister.

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Wow, I'm away from Fchat for a weekend and look what I miss.
    Congratulations Mr G.

Any chance you can give us some background details on the car and purchase (non private obviously) For instance, is this a car you've had your eye on for a while or did you just see it on a lot and think 'go on, one for the wife as well then' :D

Cheers
    Simon

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I just saw thise thread. I still cant believe what i just read. I dont know what im typping because im giggling ..

Absolutely fantastic! Im speechless !

Can i send my resume to you ? I would love to apply for a job as a waxer or anything as long as i can be near the 2 ! :)

Congratulation !!

4. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    Go ask your dad, then I´ll apply at mr G´s

:D

5. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

No Way !! :D !

Btw when are the 10 days period over ?? I want to see 854 and 846 side by side .... !!!!!

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    What am I missing here? Maybe It's because I have actually driven a few pre-war Alfas but never a P3, P3/4, P4 or 412....

7. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Congrats Jim this is fantastic!!! You by far have the best garage ever.

8. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    LOL!

CASTING CALL!

While I'm sure that Jim had dibs on the Steve McQueen role (Even though he looks like Hunter S. Thompson. Hmmm... Le Mans on acid. Think of the possibilities... The Ferraris could morph into bats...), I'll nominate Carbie for Enzo. Can't you picture a birth scene where the nurse faints because on the chest of a new born baby is a black cavallino birthmark!

Dale

ps Jim, I never did hear back on my security guard application. With me on the watch, you'd have no worries at all. :)

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Dr. Stu

As the Good Book said and the Byrds sang there's a time for everything.
    In my life I've missed/passed on a chevy powered 750 Monza with original blown engine for $3200, a seris 1 250 GTO and a trailer for $6,500, 0856 for 1 million, 0854 for somewhat less, the Sebring winning seris 2 GTO, etc, etc. I've come to realize that chances to buy great cars when you are so able are rare and must be acted on. This time I didn't pass.

This opportunity came, as many do, a bit out of the blue. I can also report that driving a P 3/4 on a sunny day, a MK-IV into the dawn, or a Lola T70 Can AM Spyder through the night is something that stays with you.

Best

10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Dear Jim,
    C O N G R A T U L A T I O N !
    I`m speechless.....one more time;) looks like you are on the way to get the whole `67 Le Mans winning/racing cars in your garage.
    Now you have realy brillinat answered my question: "for which future car is this space reserved?" - I asked you while visiting your wonderful private garage last year.

Hope to CU soon in Sicily.

Yours
    Wolfgang

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Thanks Jim. Although not at the same financial level, there are many cars that I thought about too long when the opportunity came up and missed out. Your'e right, when an opportunity comes up and you can realistically act on it, one should do so.

12. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #62 Sfumato, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Paul, why can't you be gracious rather than such a nob?
    IF you ever get a real car, as I hope you will, I and most of us will be gracious and congratulate you.
    Glad you feel better about yourself pissing on other's parades. This isn't about Jim, it is about the cars. Lighten up, or sod off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #63 Sfumato, Apr 19, 2005
    You can always trade up to a better one, too! Maybe Jim will give Paul a deal on 0846?
    Stu, the pre-war cars are amazing, nothing sounds like an 8c-2300B or a Monza. Far more evil than it looks.
    Post war cars and late 60's cars are g-load monsters, sexy bodies and all business. Each are superb, but like blondes or brunettes, a personal choice.
    Or a buffet to be thoroughly sampled :D

14. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark/USA/UK
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Congratulations Jim, :)
    I am so happy to see that one more of the historically important Ferraris have ended up together with cars such as 0846, 002C and J6 where she will be given the proper attention and care!!! :)

NB. You got mail :)

Best regards

Carsten

15. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #65 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    Keyser. I am just trying to show my genuine interest in these cars, without resorting to the usual level of sycophantic A$$-licking that appears to be the 'norm' in such situations. LOL !
    As for you, Sir, in the words of the broad with the jigsaw ....

16. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Excuse me Jim, but according to MY records (not Barchetta's), but ....
    #0848 didn't race at Monza in 1966. There was only one 330P3 entered for the Monza 1000Km's in '66 and that was #0844 - for Parkes and Surtees - The #14 berlinetta that won the race.
    #0848's first race wasn't till nearly two months later at Le Mans '66 (#20 driven by Parkes / Scarfiotti), where it suffered a heavy frontal crash ....

17. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I see what you mean, Jim. But, in fact, that line is between two other lines of unbolded text. I think it's a pure 'typo'. If you look at how the Barchetta database is built, it's just a glorified MS Excel spreadsheet. It is so easy, as you probably know, to copy (or cut) and paste cells/rows incorrectly in Excel, and that's what I reckon they've done here - by accidentally dropping in another row.
    In fact, if you check out the page for #0854 ... You'll see they've done exactly the same thing !

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0848.330P3.htm
    67/aug/15 6th Mont Dore Pierre Bardinon #207
    67 - Barchetta
    67/aug/27 5th Ollon-Villars hillclimb Herbert Mueller #210 Ca11 p7

http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0854.412P.htm

67/jun/10-11 dnf 24h Le Mans Richard Attwood/ Piers Courage #23 FaLM p93 FIC p273;
    67 - Barchetta
    67/jul/30 7th BOAC 500 Brands Hatch David Piper/ Richard Attwood #9

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    well heck, Jim, with three racing Ferraris, I think you are officially allowed to change the "F" on the shields to "G" . . . Scuderia Glickenhaus!

Congratulations!

19. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #69 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    That 'dual opening' tail that you referred to, Jim, was the 'norm' for '66 330P3 rear bodywork. For 1967, and the P4/412P, the factory had to modify the tail sections (for various reasons, including the rear tyre widths) but mostly to comply with the 'luggage box' requirement. No doubt the fine print of these regulations stated that 'these boxes have to be enclosed on all sides', or words to that effect, and so the mesh grilles of the P3 had to be narrowed to the single spare tyre sized aperture of the P4/412P.
    See photos below of #0844 at Monza in '66 and '67.
    Incedentally, the only time I have ever seen the 'dual mesh' opening tail on a 'P4', is on the beautiful 1:32 and 1:24 clear slotcar bodyshells made by Lancer, in the late '60's. Gorgeous crystal clear detailed mouldings, produced during the era of 'blob' bodies - shame they got the a$$-end of their P4 wrong ! See photo (of a modern 're-pop') below ....

20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Finally made it to 500 posts - without getting banned (again) ! :D

21. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This is the page where 0848 is refered to as a Spyder.

http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris/by-serial-number/even-serial-numbers/even-0800-0898/index.html

If they're wrong and they very well may be even better as the tail can't be from 0848.

The 66 Monza shot is in the Heut (?) book and says 0848 but that may be wrong as well but doesn't matter either if 0848 was never a spyder.

That leaves us with 0846's spyder tail which as you know would have a P3 door/shunt line not the higher P4 (0858) shunt line. You're right that the center carb hump could be swapped around but the P3 shunt/door line makes it highly likely that the Spyder Tail now on 0854 came from a P3 possibly 0846. (Was 0844 ever a Spyder?) I've been told it's stamped 0858 but the question is by who.
    Remember Cluxton had 0854 and 0858 in his shop at one time.
    We shall see.

22. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #72 Sfumato, Apr 19, 2005
    What wit. Too bad everyone hasn't benefitted from your vast insight.
    Wait, none of us care what you think about our purchases.
    Sycophantic self-aggrandizement pointing out flaws in others buys, be it a scale racecar or a full-size car.
    Anencephalic gas-bag.

23. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I see P4 Replica is dishing out his trademark Replica Pea Soup - aka Pee Soup. Why not experience a chill up the spine instead of bringing chill to a room? The former is much more gratifying. Surely there is a culinary charm school somewhere nearby with Tact 101 as part of the curriculum. Lesson 1: Life is too short to be bitter, kid.
    __

'Napolis - I'm blessed that you're blessed. what with the planets aligned, bringing the sum of many parts together, could you do me a favor and laugh thusly:

Mu-mu-muaahahahahahaaaaaa

24. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I was wondering where you had got to, Tom ....
    All this thread needs now, is for 'BigTex' to wade in with his 10 cents worth. LOL :D

25. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Come on guys stop spoiling a great thread.
    If you have a problem with P4replica take it somewhere else.