My Latest... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My Latest...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ditto that.

I like an educated debate. No need on either side for name calling.

To Jim: Oops, you did it again.
    :)
    Congratulations maestro. Well done.

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #77 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, I'd seen that, thanks, Jim - another 'typo'. I guess I've got to the stage where I'm so used to seeing the mistakes, that I ignore them ! Like I said - it's probably something to do with the Excel/Access database they use on Barchetta. Mistakes are easily duplicated, sadly. :(
    Yes, Cavalleria #11 by Christian Huet. Don't always believe what you read in photo captions in books, either, Jim. I'm sure they would blame it on the typesetters, but some books (including one recent publication on the 'P' series) are riddled with captioning errors ....
    Only during it's time as the Nart 412P Can-Am spyder from late '67, through Medlin's ownership, until Hayashi had it converted back to a Berlinetta in 1998 by Symbolic (with panels supplied by David Piper). Some nice old photos of #0844 as the (ex-NART) Can-Am from Virginia IR, back in '68, are to be found here, incedentally.
    Might just have something to do with this gentleman racer, Jim .... through whose hands both #0854 and #0858 (and it's factory spares package) both passed in the late 60's.
    I think he also had something to do with your other P4, didn't he ? :D
    See above - and below ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There's one thing i would love to see :

0854 being unloaded from its truck on delivery day :)

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I congratulated Jim, as most of us who are civilized.
    First shot, other than telling Jim how inferior 0854 is, questioning provenance.
    If this is an "enthusiastic" comment, no wonder he can't own the real thing. Probably has a pic of Piper in his loo for his own "sycophantic" whatever.
    Me too. When is Skett going to:
    A: get educated and be civil, not arrogant and misanthropic;
    B: realize he may be wrong/someone else may be right. Read his responses, pages of them, on 0846 or any other thread.

Again, Jim, pleased it has a good home. Let someone race it a little though :D

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    True but the P4/P3 tail difference (Door/shunt/bottom of side of tail line) make it impossible that it's from 0858 (P4) This Spyder tail is P3 and from what you say there is only one original P3 that was fitted with a Spyder tail.
    Keeping in mind it's original source, the factory spares package, it doesn't surprise me that it may be 0846's original tail.

6. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Does anyone else notice that P4 uses all these sites for reference to back his claims unless there's something he disagrees with? Then his references have 'typos'. Thanks P4 for again stomping on a great parade.

I for one don't see your 'genuine interest' for the car.

7. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #82 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    As you well know, Jim, later in it's racing career #0854 was owned and raced (very successfully too) by David Piper, during whose ownership, the bodywork went through many different guises, in Piper's efforts to keep the car competitive. Some of them were (not so) pretty interesting variations on the original - and no doubt, later in the thread, we'll get round to discussing them.
    Piper was, and still is, first and foremost, a racer, not too bothered about originality, or averse to swapping the odd part around between cars.
    When #0854 arrives at your shop, and you get round to checking the various stampings, you might want to check the one on the gearshift gate.
    Max Wakefield bought an old gear linkage from David Piper a couple of years ago, and now has it fitted to his Lambo V-12 powered P4 replica. See photos below. Max is open to offers, apparently .... ;)

8. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Thank you again for another valuable contribution to the thread (not).

9. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    You guys are blasting Paul because he offers up incredible details about the car in question. And now he even posts a photo of a shifter stamped with the actual serial number of the car being discussed!!! Come on guys, give Paul his credit. How many of us have individual photos of original parts stamped with the original serial number of the car being discussed. It's pretty obvious that Paul knows his stuff. His P3/4 Ferrari knowledge is obviously extensive, and since he walks the same ground that Piper treds upon, he has obviously accumulated a vast amount of historical knowledge concerning these old cars from their mutual area.

Objections against P4Replica are overuled by Judge Horsefly. Let the testimony continue from both sides.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    The point is a P3 tail won't fit on a P4 unless you change the center section as well.

BTW the shifter for a 603R is different than the one for a ZF. (see post 0844 showroom where build sheets are posted)

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Agreed. And the house does not tolerate name calling on either side. Proceed please.

12. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Yes - that makes sense Jim - would explain why Pipes had it 'kicking around' as a spare. Max is, in fact, using it with a Hewland DG300 box.
    You lost me on the second part, Jim '0844 showroom' ? :(

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #88 Sfumato, Apr 19, 2005
    Irony.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Can't afford to buy two vintage Ferrari racecars, and potentially set them both to right?

Well, fine... but you all CAN... PLEASE... behave like Jim is in this thread...

Jim does NOT need anyone to defend him from Paul's admittedly-harsh post (try to word things a bit more pleasant, eh Paul... so we can avoid this nonsense?)... Jim is carrying on a very interesting technical discussion with Paul... many of us would like to continue reading it without wading through people yelling at Paul, people "defending" Jim, people yelling at those yelling at Paul, and so on.

As a P3/P4/412 fanatic, I love reading about these cars, their morphing, and seeing all the pics... and the anticipation that some more Ferrari anthropology will be conducted and documented here on FerrariChat...

(If the nonsense bickering doesn't stop, perhaps we'll pull it all out of this thread and put it into a parallel "Thread of Shame". ;) )

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    0846's and 0854's build sheets. (Note P3 593 Box vrs. 412 ZF to 603R box)
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44460

What about the P3 vrs. P4 tail? I think it has to be from 0846 as it's P3 not P4.

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Someone wake me up when Jim buys a black Enzo...

...this P-car stuff is so run-of-the-mill... :D

17. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember reading an interview with Obrist in the eighties when TRs were the craze. The interviewer noticed no TR in the collection and asked him about it. Obrist: TR? Nah, everybody has one of those...

18. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, great little story...! Everyone certainly doesn't have an old Ferrari racecar, that's for sure... Of those few people that do, only a handful of the handful will actually drive them on the street, too... i think that's what excites me more than anything... Reminds me of the stories from years ago, about the Ettinger and the Breadvan... :)

19. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Replied to by email, Jim - rather than risk another 'flame' war. ;)

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Please don't take such a discussion off line. Please not.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

God only knows what he might get in between :D !!!

22. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    How about another P3 (Alfa Tipo B GP car)? :)

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    A quick aside to all who have reported Paul Skett's posts in this thread:

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with anything that Jim says about his cars, as long as it doesn't involve name-calling and mudsliging and Paul has done neither in this thread. Please either state your opinions (preferably backed up with facts) about the details being discussed or sit by and enjoy the discussion. Whatever you do, stop trying to shut the man up just because you don't agree with what he's saying or don't like the fact that he's saying it. For what it's worth, Jim himself has not complained and seems to be enjoying the discussion. After all, much can be learned from a discussion with someone who hold opinions and ideas that are different from your own while there's often little to be learned from the "yes" men.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix

I second this big time.

25. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name: