My Latest... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My Latest...

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Apr 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I cant think of anything at the moment. Im still shocked :)

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Posts ? Wayne ? Plural ? I thought I had only stepped over the mark, once, in post #65.
    Or have some folks got nothing better to do but go over my every word with a fine-toothed comb ? :D

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Does this mean that my movie idea is dead! :(

Hell, I was getting ready to offer Paul at least one point as a tech advisor...

Dr "Cut!" Who

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Dale may be on to something.
    Forgive me if this has already been implied, but lets not forget who we're talking about here. :)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0322785/

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    #105 Horsefly, Apr 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    :)

Dr "I'll have my people call your people" Who

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    observation : i find it extremely interesting that the same small group of folks passed these cars ( and PARTS! ) around.

another question from little ole me, are the P3 and P4 coupe's body work different from each other?

if so, then the differences in 0846's chasis bieng the only P3/4 would mean its spyder (rear) bodywork would exibit holes or fitment that only a P3/4. would have?
    would this prove that the bodywork now installed on the new arrival, regardless of serial number stamps, belongs to 0846 ?

9. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Jim, congratulations. You have the iconic cars of the era (maybe you will pick up a 917 someday?) Is it possible you might post some pictures of your 60's racers together sometime soon?

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Dr,

I think a 8c2300 Monza Spider (I think that is the correct term for the sports car versus the single seater the Tipo B is) would suit Jim's preferred road use of his cars ...

Again Jim thanks for making FerrariChat worth logging on to again ... it was getting rather dull around here.

Looking forward to the striping and preparation work on #854. I do hope that you still continue to get #0846 in 100% race ready condition, as I believe it currently is driveable but is in need of a proper shake down and setup process. I worry now that you have bought an active car that #0846 might be destined for static shows and remain little used ... not that it has anything to do with me :)

Pete

11. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #111 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    Quite a lot of differences, Michael - (some subtle, some pretty obvious). See this post and scroll back and forward a few posts ....

Michael. As I said in my email to Jim, which I may now as well make (part of the contents) public, as folks are obviously going to keep raising the same questions: " .... looking at the fire damage to the offside rear, I somehow doubt it. The ally would also have been heavily oxidized in the fire, and weakened ...."
    This is MY personal opinion, but I think any contemporary panel-beating artisan would have said that #0846's burned tail section was not worth saving - scrap it, and I'll beat you out another one ....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    If you need a driver....my phone number is below :)

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Paul's reposting of that video still pic brings to mind the same question that I've wondered about before: Are there NO other photos in existance of 0846 after the LeMans fire? With the track swarming with photographers, surely there must be more that ONE blurry video freeze frame of the car after the fire debacle that would shed some light on the various debates? Somebody needs to do some digging in their European attics and basements for some long forgotten racing magazines with some more 0846 photos.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not at all. We'll be testing 0846 in about a week and are taking her to the Historic Targa Florio in June. I'll put 2K miles on her in no time.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I'm confused. Your rossa right? This photo has been posted for months.
    It's part of the Rossa 0846 100 pages.

16. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think he's wondering if there are any other post-crash pics

17. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Doesn't the other photo show the car from the UNburned side, which is pretty inconclusive as to what damage was done?

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes but that's a lot of unburned tail no?

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    If you look at the photo of the unburnt side more survived than you'd think. That said as soon as I take a close look at it I'll be able to see. My only point is as there was only one P3 Spyder 0846 and as this is a P3 Spyder tail it's possible it was fitted to or a spare for 0846. IMO it can't be from 0858 as it's P3 not P4.

20. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    They fixed sheet metal damage from street signs for crying out loud, why would they have tossed a almost good lid and replaced it or rehammered it?
    They cut into the existing body for other ducts to cool brakes etc. Of course they would redo the existing body!

21. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #121 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    Jim.
    Agreed there was only the one P3 spyder - #0846, which was converted in late '66 to a P3/4, and, although it shares the same 'basket handle' and 'valley' (with the bare aluminium louvres) as the other later converted P4 spyders (#0856; #0858 and #0860), its tail section would have been quite unique, as you know.
    What is currently fitted to #0854 - a spyder tail with a carburettor 'hump' never existed as such, during the '66, or '67 seasons.
    I'm pretty sure that I never said it was from #0858.
    Personally, I believe it's something that Piper had beaten out in Modena, to help Chris Cord with his conversion back from the 'widened cut-down Can-Am spyder' (as #0854 was raced by Piper, later in '69) into the 'streetable' 412P Spyder format that it exists in today.
    It's interesting to note that the rear bodywork fitted to the car #003/'#0846' (whatever) :D that you bought from 'Pipes' in 2000 appears to be fitted with a fibreglass moulding not too dissimilar to the tail fitted to #0854 .... I wonder what he took the mould off ?
    I guess I call to Mr. Piper, to test his memory, might be in order .....

22. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Er, I don't think that aluminium oxide welds that easily ....

23. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #123 P4Replica, Apr 19, 2005
    Before anybody asks .... IMHO not the prettiest of 412P incarnations :(

24. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Since the engine cover, fenders, etc were all hand formed from several pieces of "aluminum oxide", pray tell how were they done in the first place? And were all the pieces done the same day, from same batch of AL?
    How much AL welding/working have you done? I have, and it isn't that tough.
    Facts please, to quote Wayne....

25. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    It may have escaped your notice, Keyser, but what I actually wrote:
    Originally Posted by P4Replica
    "Er, I don't think that aluminium oxide welds that easily ...."
    Infers that I was expressing an opinion, rather than stating that I am an expert Tig/Mig welder.
    The fact is, that according to Ferrari factory records, #0846 was scrapped after the Le Mans fire. Scrapped - that is including the chassis. So they were hardly likely to have hung onto a burned and mangled tail clip.
    Or perhaps it was also rescued from the Maranello scrap-heap by Tom Meade ? Here we go again, LOL :D