My latest... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My latest...

Discussion in '308/328' started by judge4re, Apr 28, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    #76 PerryJ, May 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I looked in the 1983 OM and the drawing has the same setup that is in your car.

But then again, all of our cars need to differ from the manual in at least 2-3 items.

3. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    that's crazy, I asked William and he thinks his 84 has mine setup.

4. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Eric, first let me also congratulate you on your excellent purchase! (I might be a little biased). And thinking about a 512 BB......what a great #4. I rode in Drew's '79' 512 over to Atlanta for the Rutland's event. I was really impressed with the performance and the raw throaty sound. When are you due back in Birmingham?

5. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I saw a pic of a 308 GTSi, same set up with the slow down lights.

I need to find one that is below 47071 to see if they were using old parts...

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Thanks.

We're shooting for a trip in July, but the month is getting pretty full pretty quick. I need to be back in Asia as I've got an offer to take a Grand Sport around Sepang. I am not missing that one.

A flat 12 is missing from the current line up, so we'll see what kind of deal I can get trawling the bottom end of the market.

I've tagged one of the cheaper Mondial 8's and one of the cheapest driver 308's, let's see what else is out there.

Still hunting for the unloved cars...

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The change occured when the 308's went to a single cat in 84. Up until then Ferrari had to have two temp warning lights which they put on each side of the steering wheel. That left the dimmer knob and the trip reset up in the pod. In 84 only one cat temp warning light was necessary so it was moved up on the pod and the dimmer knob was relocated to the left of the steering wheel which left the trip reset knob up there in the middle by itself.

This is one reason why I sent you a PM yesterday. I have an 84 but I am slowly converting it to appear EXACTLY as a 2V injected model from 80-82. Those were the first Ferraris I saw as a kid and I always wanted one. The 4V is better so I got one of those and just decided to change the look. The best of both worlds (in my world anyway). It took me FOREVER to locate a black dash instrument pod plate that would accept the 80-82 light/knob setup I described earlier. The 84-85's have three holes too but the sizes are reversed. The hole that holds the little black knobs is smaller then the warning light openings so I cannot make it work the way I want with the plate in my newer car. I have one now (actually 3). The only thing I do not have is the correct seatbelt light like you have, hence my PM to you yesterday.

So, the long story about the different lights between your cars is I am weird and I know too many little things about 308's, the shorter version is the difference of twin or single cats.

8. PerryJ

PerryJ Formula 3

Jun 5, 2003
    N. Alabama
    Full Name:
    John Perry
    i learn something new about these cars everyday ;)

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Another quick way to tell between an 83 QV and an 84/85 QV besides the dash lights is all 83's had black A pillars.

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Finally, the only visual difference between an 84 and an 85 is the way the fuse panel cover is attached. The 85's used those little black-capped fasteners like on the top cover behind the seats. They were not used in 84.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    No offence Tommy, but wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just find a 2 valve car? There aren't any laws in AL against multiple Ferrari ownership and you are a dentist. :)

12. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Good stuff, the car is in the original paint scheme.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Honestly? My driveway is too small. I already have 5 cars and no garage. I do have my eye on a brown one in Huntsville, though.

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    You can always buy/rent space.

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Bump.

I'm leaving NC for TN tomorrow. Going to get plates for this one when I get into town (if you thought buying a car out of state was a PITA, try doing it from 8000 miles away).

Pictures soon. I'm planning on driving it to Birmingham over the weekend.

More details later...

16. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Well, after $1400 for taxes and plates, she's out in the driveway. No pics yet, left the cable for the camera in NC. Oops.

In 24 hours of having it, I've already put 120 miles on it. I put about the same on Mongo on Tuesday, so I can compare them back to back.

Mongo is more comfortable on the highway, more room for stuff and tracks better. The 308 just wants to be pushed hard, easy to drive and attracts more attention from other drivers (not always a good thing). A/C works better in the 308 in 92F weather, visibility is better in the Mondial.

The car is in much better shape than I was expecting. Yes, its going to need body work and a major service, but mechanically, its really strong and drives like some of the "best" QV's that I've been lucky enough to drive.

NNO is coming up Saturday, expect to see about 100 pics of it and the others over the weekend. I just need to get Trashy out of the boonies to try the soft sell approach on classic Ferraris.

I'm happy. After some minor dissapointments with the paperwork, I'm pleased with Fox Valley Motorcars. I got a great car. Thanks Mike.

I've got some more driving to do.

Ciao...

17. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Latest update.

Got "lost" out in the countryside with NNO in the 308 yesterday. Found some great driving roads. Urotrash went for a ride in it with both my mechanic and me behind the wheel (sounding like Beavis going "rev it, rev it" the whole time).

Put ~200 miles on it yesterday. I have a 250 mile drive to Birmingham scheduled for after the race. I'll post pictures tonight.

Life is good.

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That is what it's all about!
    Best

19. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes it is!!!

Thanks.

20. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    One never gets lost...just embarks on a journey of discovery.

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Nice work my friend!!

Still bitter about your 308 "find"!!

;-)

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Life's way too damn short to get bitter over a car...

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    ...or anything else quite frankly, mon ami.

24. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Lucky man!