My Mondial t repair project. | Page 10 | FerrariChat

My Mondial t repair project.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by nino calamita, Sep 26, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    do they say mate in the UK ?

2. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    LOL, anyone from the Commonwealth countries (Australia, New Zealand, Scotland, Ireland, England, etc) says "mate." besides, it sounds better than Bloke :) !

3. HK Mondial

HK Mondial Karting

Mar 12, 2007
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mark M.
    Great job, Nino
    You should be very proud ( Great video to show all the work too !)
    Now all you have to do is to drive it every chance you get to ensure all the effort was worthwhile.
    Great daily driver -great car!
    Hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I do from driving mine !

Mark

4. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    Well done, Nino! What a wonderful thread. And a fantastic example of what real craftsmanship and intelligence can do! Just a masterpiece of work here. Loved the headlight from the buses story. Look forward to following the belt change project ... Enjoy your birthday present!

5. Argento839

Argento839 F1 Veteran

Oct 21, 2005
    It's threads like this that makes F-chat so great..

6. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Nino, was just wondering how your drive is going these days?
    Any issues with the motor ? Please keep your friends on this forum posted!
    cheers,

Mike

7. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Mike, thanks for still showing interest and my apologies for being quiet on the forum over the last few weeks. As you may well imagine I have been putting a few miles on the Mondial and driving it daily, over 300 miles to be exact and enjoyed driving every one of them. There are a few minor issues one being the power steering pump noisey upon initial starting in a morning but soon quietens down once the fluid has bled round the system, this I have put down to the fact that it has been stood for the last 4yrs. Another being the 2nd gear issue first thing from cold but I seem to be getting round that by experimenting with different methods upon changing into 2nd, one being straight into 3rd. Not taken it above 60mph at the moment because of the cambelt needing changing which I am hoping to do in the next few weeks now that both the bedrooms have been decorated. Apart from these issues it seems to be going very well and I am very pleased with the end result, a very nice Ferrari and a joy to drive and own. When I start the cambelt change I will post pics and updates on the forum but it will be under a different thread.

8. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #233 soucorp, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    Hi Nino,

Glad to hear you have been enjoying the ride. I've never heard of anyone in the Ferrari community that had their cam belts snap, these things are over engineered in my opinion so if the recommendation is 3 years or 30k miles, it is most likely engineered for 3x that much. But having said that, I would not push it if I don't have to so your conservative keeping it under 60mph and 4k rpm is a good thing not knowing the history of the belts.

I have not started my major service yet, but will get to that in a few weeks, not really looking forward to all that work and having my car in pieces.

When you are ready to do your belts, check out this thread I recently posted for 348/Mondial ts belt service. http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361705

Cheers!

9. adamae82

adamae82 Karting

Nov 22, 2011
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Al Peralta
    Hi Nino, it is nice to hear that you are enjoying the fruit of all your hardwork. How about a picture of the Rolls and the Mondial together.

10. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    redline gear oil helped me tremendously with the cold shifting into second problem. However, going from 1 to 3rd until warm is not a big issue for these cars...

11. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Al, would be nice to take pics of both the Rolls and Ferrari together but at the moment here in the UK the weather has changed from a summer like March to a very wintery April so both cars a tucked away in the garage for the time being. As soon as the weather picks up then pics will be posted.

12. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Apparently the oil that is in the gearbox at the moment is fully synthetic, because I did not put this in I'am not sure of its suitability, will check on the forum later today.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest

14. lightning

lightning Formula Junior

Apr 19, 2010
    Stockport
    Full Name:
    Martin Oliver
    I live near to New Mills, Derbyshire which is not far from you.

You did a fabulous job on that Mondial, I wish I had those skills! Bodywork has never been my strong point. I sold my Mondial t Coupe last year but am negotiating to buy it back at the moment.

15. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Martin, only thing I can say is 'get it bought back'. As you know I put mine on the road on March !st. and so far done nearly 400 miles and enjoyed driving every last one of them. If you do buy it back and as you say you are not a million miles away and worried about any work that needs doing in the future then I would be here to help in any way. Let me know how you get on and keep in touch so that we can probably get together in the future.

16. spiderscott

spiderscott Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2004
    Ratarossa HQ UK
    Full Name:
    Ratarossa
    Wow i just stumbled upon this post .... Nino what a fantastic job you did, such an inspiration to the rest of us !!!

congratulations on the project, hopefully I will see you and the car at a ferrari Uk event sometime.

17. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Scott, many thanks, I've got the engine out at the moment doing a cambelt change and I am hoping to be at Stanford Hall for the Auto Italia Day, any chance that you are going.

18. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Hi Nino

How did the summer with Mondial go? Was there any sunny weekends to enjoy it on this rainy summer at all? How did the cambelt change go?

Cheers
    Samuli

19. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Samuli,
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I managed to finish the cambelt change for the summer and hoped to attend the Auto Italia day ( which has a very strong Ferrari attendence ) at Stanford Hall here in the UK on the 3rd June but as you may well know the summer here has had the most rainfall on record so I missed the event but hopefully next year I will be able to attend. We have had a few nice days and I must say that I have made the most of them and used the Mondial quite alot in fact I have put 1700miles on the clock since completeing the project.

Sorry to all on fchat for being quiet with posts of late but now that I have caught up with other projects and holidays back in Italy I should be able to spend more time on the forum.

Nino.

20. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Good to hear from you again Nino, the forum missed you!
    If you have more pics of your recent major service, please do post them to help other t owners that are thinking about doing their belts this fall in preparations for Mondipalooza June 2013.

Cheers!

21. nino calamita

nino calamita Karting

Sep 21, 2011
    Chesterfield, UK.
    Full Name:
    Emanuel Calamita
    Hi Mike,

I feel very bad for not being active on the forum over the past month or two and I have missed you all very much. I now feel that I have more time so I will post the last few pics of the cambelt change even though it was completed a while back, same as you say it will help others and also I am here for any advice.

I now need to get in touch with Lino who has been very thoughtful and has taken the trouble to contact me to say hello.

Nino.

22. Lino

Lino Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2010
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Lino
    Hi Nino,

Thank you for responding and it is great to have you back.

Lino

23. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    +1

24. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008