My more better GTC | Page 5 | FerrariChat

My more better GTC

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by SCantera, Mar 4, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I too would love the see the list of parts for the upgrades to the A/C and the headlights, particularly. My A/C works well, but there's clearly room for improvement.

Your car looks great. My car is a darker blue than yours; I am not sure if mine is Blu Sera (non-metallic) or Blu Caracalla. The Dino looks very nice as well.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Terry,
    That is probably NOT my car, but it could be. They only made 168 365GTCs, and I can't imagine there's that many in NM. Which shop do you use?
    Alex

3. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I am a bit distracted from cars right now as I have started building a home in the mtns of NC.......finally a place to properly drive my GTC and Dino.

Hopefully when I return home to FL I can pull together the detail on the upgraded parts. Thanks for your interest!!

4. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Has anyone here seen the part numbers of the upgrade parts that Steve used? I could really use them now. My car(9881) is just about ready to go back together and its now or never. And I don't want to nag the guy.

Thanks

5. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    The number for 365 GTC production that I usually see is 150. Do you recall the source of the 168?

6. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    www.ferrari.com - "A total of 168 examples were produced in the chassis number range 11589 to 12785, in both left hand and right hand drive configuration."

wikipedia and others sources show 150.

Logically, I prefer to go with Ferrari's numbers.

7. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Cptdon,

I am in NC now so I don't have access to my 330 files. Maybe I can try to do my best to contact the shop back home. Here is what I did differently:

Spal cooling fans......replacing Lucas 3 blades. Spal is used on fairly current Fcars.
    Sanden a/c compressor.....requires mounting fabrication
    AC Delco condensing unit [larger] that matches the rough dimensions of the radiator for better airflow. This also requires some less difficult fabrication
    MB E-Class ventilating fan motor....not sure what is replaced 'cept this is stronger

So each of these items can be simple or not. If you decide on what you need maybe I can get the shop to help out with more specifics.

best

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Keith Bluemel's "The Original V12" lists 168 examples too. Godfrey Eaton's "The Complete Ferrari" refers to an article in Ferrari Market Letter (Vol 9, #11) that lists 150 individual chassisnumbers.

Onno

9. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    Thanks very much for the reference to 168 for the number of 365 GTCs produced. I'll go with that too.

10. Hank the Crank

Jun 14, 2007
    Miami, FL.
    Full Name:
    Eddie Sapin
    For my money John's the "Best in the Business!" He started off as a "Brick Mason," and bought his first Ferrari; it was a Fiat Dino! When he took it to the FIAT dealer for a "tune-up," he was told "We don't know how to fix them..." SO he stayed as a mason, and after becoming a "PRO" on all Ferrari's he quit laying brick (almost), and opened Motorkraft LTD. I worked for him, and bought an old 1959 Morris Minor (with semaphore Lucas turn signals so I could get to the shop). I never saw a car (especially Ferrari's) he couldn't remove, tear down, and rebuild "AS Good New!" Few technicians have had the honor to "Watch, and Learn," from such a humble man. I hope he's still around, and I believe his son (that was just a kid) followed in his father’s footsteps. I worked, sweated, bleed, and laughed, and learned from his tutelage, and I thank him for that opportunity. No disrespect for Mr. Ottis, but I couldn't let this comment go by without mentioning Mr. Hajduk.

11. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Did you also work with Scott Taylor who I believe got his start with John? Scott was the most talented mechanic I have run into and seemed to know just about everything regarding these old cars. He rebuilt my GTC engine a few years back.

12. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    For anyone that might want to meet up and see "My more better GTC" at Cavallino thish weekend let me know. The car won't be on the field for judging, but my Dino will. So you will be able to find me there. I will be driving the GTC over and on the weekend.

PM me for my phone # if you want to see the car or discuss the mods.

13. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Wish I could be there, Steve. Some day!

Onno

14. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    And one day I will ship my GTC over to your side of the pond to drive the continent. You could show me the best roads to drive.

15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Hello, Onno.

I'll be sure to send you some pictures from Cavallino, although I'm sure there will be lots of good ones here in the forum.

All the best,

Jack.

16. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Let me know your Dino and I'll find you on the field. Really a good combination, 246 GTS and 330 GTC ;-)
    See you at the Cavallino Classics.

17. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Found it, see you.
    Volkmar

18. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    I'm still playing with the thought of doing the same with mine over to your side, a coast-to-coast drive would be fantastic to do. Meeting in the middle won't be a good idea, but perhaps something else will transpire in future.

Thanks Jack, that'll be nice. I still owe you some highres photos of Goodwood Revival. I can even send you an article I wrote for the Dutch Ferrari Club magazine about it, although - isn't your Dutch is a little rusty? :) Anyway, I'll send them through this weekend.

Onno

19. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks, Onno. Would love to see the pictures and the article.

We won't be at Revival this year, but we are already planning for 2012!

Jack.

20. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Same for me, skipping a year.

Onno

21. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Just returned home from a weekend at the Cavallino event. Drove the GTC over 400 miles this weekend. Full w/ luggage and cleaning stuff for the Dino she ran strong. I pushed it pretty hard on Alligator Alley [I-75] on the trip over. Got well into the triple digits for extended periods w/o a hitch. That was w/ the a/c running full blast since outside temps were in the 80s and very humid. The upgrades I made to the a/c and cooling system were well worth the effort. It got so cold in the cabin that I had to turn the a/c down a couple of times. Sanden compressor and MB E-class blower motor made a huge difference.

Got to top it off by putting the car on the lawn of the Breakers for the show. Although I did not have the GTC judged it looked comfortable and presentable on the field after having worked so hard.

The car is a great combination of go-then-show. One day I'll get her to do some track time too. What a driver the GTC is....

Met some wonderful people at the event including a couple of FChatters including 500TR........who helped me with reviewing the particulars of my Dino....thank you Vollkmar!!

Fantastic weekend for a car nut.

22. 500tr

500tr Formula 3

Feb 28, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Volkmar Spielmann
    Steve, it was a great pleasure to meet you at the Breakers.

Volkmar

23. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    Steve,
    your car looked fantastic. It was a very enjoyable weekend for everyone I spoke with.

George

24. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Great to see efforts paid off for you, your team of craftsmen and the Mo' Better GTC.

25. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Met some wonderful people at the event including a couple of FChatters including 500TR........who helped me with reviewing the particulars of my Dino....thank you Vollkmar!!

Fantastic weekend for a car nut.[/QUOTE]

Steve,

Nice to meet you and the 330 too.

Sam