My New Garage Update!! (PICS) -- Almost Done! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My New Garage Update!! (PICS) -- Almost Done!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by CarreraScott, Aug 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just a question.

Why do you want drains in a workshop?

Surely you would not drain a radiator or engine into a drain like that ... or even wash your car in the garage?

If the car is garaged wet ... I would have thought that a dehumidifier would have dried the car better?

Pete

2. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Psk -- will absolutely wash the cars in the garage, esp in winter! Plus in winter when we drive in with snow all over the cars, it will melt off and go down the drains.

No I wont be washing oil and tranny fluid down the drains!

The A/C units will dehumidify in the summer (when it really needs it). I can always add a dehumidifier if needed.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Thanks for the quick answer ... I do not live where it snows, so I have no understanding of what that adds to car maintenance, etc. ... and fair enough, I imagine ;)

Pete

4. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    Absolutely YES, you can put a 4-post lift on Racedeck tiles, my lift has been on my tiles for 3 years now with no problems. The only problem I had was when I tried to move the lift using their casters on the racedeck, the wheel cut some tiles.

But you do not need to cut the tiles around the posts, they don't harm the tiles at all.

5. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    I have a smaller garage than yours and found that the A/C (a 2 1/2 ton Unico system) still has problems getting the humidity out of the air during extended rainy (or high humidity) periods. A stand-alone dehumidifier, admittedly oversized for the room, drops the RH very quickly and can be set via digital humidistat. Humidity levels should be kept between 45-55%. I have some pictures of the setup at http://www.ultimategarage.com/aircond.htm . Good luck with your garage. SD

6. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    Where did you get the cabinets from?

7. I love that garage the GT3 aswell I can picture my self detailing all year round in a garage like that.

8. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Ksull -- they are Craftsman cabinets from Sears. They sell them on their website but pick up a Craftsman catalog -- they're cheaper in there (by 15-20%).

Scott

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I actually like the larger tiles; they reinforce the appearance of space. Good to know you're gonna be using the GT3 for what it's best for! Post the track stories.

10. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    FYI I laid by tiles in a 4x4 pattern -- IE each black square is 4 tiles (26.2"x26.2"), each white square is the same. The red stripe is 13.1" (1 tile) wide.

11. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Its beautiful, it looks amazing now and its not even finished. Have fun with her.

Is that a batting cage around back?

12. phong69

phong69 Karting

Aug 17, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Full Name:
    Phong Nguyen
    That's awesome! You even have a place to go when your wife kicks you out of the house. Is the upstairs a guest suite? I wish I had the room to build something like this. Nice Job!

13. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    CarreraScott -
    tell me about your electrical hook up...
    110V? 220V?
    separate line, or does it come off your house?
    Separate fuse box? If so, how many different circuits?

I am in the permit process of a 22x40 foot garage, and am a little concerned about having enough juice in the garage.

Love the floor... I got bunch of literature from the same company... Love your pattern!

14. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hehe, no its a dog run for our big dogs!

15. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    No guest suite, its about 500sf of A/C'ed storage -- our house has no basement or attic so we needed some more storage space....

16. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Spike,
    I went overboard with power. In fact we are having the electric company put a new meter and a direct connection to the transformer for the garage. I have 5x 220v outlets (2 for A/C units, 3 for lifts (or future lifts)), a 220v to a hot tub we're putting out back, plus 36 lights in the ceiling, countless receptacles, etc etc. I'm not sure offhand how many circuits but its a lot -- I can count tomorrow.

17. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    also....
    you bought your cabinets at Sears...
    What did you think about the Gladiator cabinets?

18. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    CarreraScott...
    yours is no garage.
    this a temple, a shrine....
    a tip of the hat to you, and now I'm busy toweling up the drool!

19. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    o man, if it was a batting cage you would have never had to leave the garage.

20. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Spike
    I didnt find anyone locally carrying the Gladiator cabinets and wanted to feel them in person before buying. I personally dont like the look of the Gladiator cabinets.

The sears cabinets are online but the prices are 15-20% cheaper if you can get ahold of a Sears Craftsman catalog. I just ordered there and picked them up in my pickup at the local sears. (Good thing cause they wanted $1,600 to deliver to my door!). I like the sears ones a lot so far -- so pretty heavy duty and should last forever -- all metal, not particle board whatsoever except for the tops of the cabinets and the tops of the work tables.

21. I love it show some pictures of the upstairs.

22. CiaoItalia

CiaoItalia Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Justin Phillips
    Beautiful garage, as well as vehicle! Congrats on the great setup.

23. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    #49 CarreraScott, Sep 7, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    "but it works (without a car) at 110v"

are you implying that with 110V, you can not lift the car?
    I thought most, if not all, would work with 110V!
    Or, have you just not tried it?