My new Garage | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My new Garage

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, Aug 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsvmille676

rsvmille676 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    G-town
    Full Name:
    Scott Major
    You never asked. I am french canadian afterall... its what we do.

"take a few tree guys and go hang some sheet rock eh?"

2. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    Did you run speaker wires? I would be happy to offer a pair with my compliments....... Let me know.
    Awsome garage!!!
    - Ron

3. Easyrider7467

Easyrider7467 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2005
    Northen N.J.
    Full Name:
    John
    pics are showing up??

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #54 Birdman, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Judge,
    I LIKE that paint scheme!! I was thinking of a Ferrari paint "theme" but painting the whole thing red was a bit much. The lower third red is nice and the yellow ads to it! I'm going to run that pic by the wife for comments. Thanks.

Ron,
    I ran all kinds of wire...we got 220, 110, phone, garage door openers in two locations, but I decided that I didn't need speaker wire because I had no idea where I would end up putting anything. I just use an mp3-playing boom box in the garage which is fine. The real stereo equipment stays in the house. "Offer a pair"? Are you an audio dude??

Scott,
    I'm afraid the two of us would have been a month hanging all that 'rock. Wait till ya see it in person! It's a LOT! (They hung 60 sheets between the garage and sunroom....that's about 1/3 the number hung in a typical HOUSE.)

Here's today's update. My Modine "Hot Dawg" heater (60,000 BTU) is now hung. It's hard to ilulstrate from this pic (I need a person in there for scale) but the bottom of the heater is 8 feet off the floor. I didn't want the heater way up high because the ceilings are so high that I am afraid the heat will just stay up there! Tomorrow the gas co. is coming to give me an estimate and over the weekend I'll get the direct vent installed so I will hopefully have heat next week. At long last, 18 months after I started, I will have a heated garage!

Birdman
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    #55 Birdman, Dec 29, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since all the pictures were lost, here is a shot from the spring that shows what the garage looks like on the outside and a shot comparing it to the first day I started framing, at the end of August, 2004.

The upstairs will be a new master bedroom suite with big bathroom...but it will be a while before I get to that!

Birdman

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    The scheme comes right out of the dealer handbook, so it is "official". Might help the discussion with the Mondial owner...

7. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Very nice house/garage!

8. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
  9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Awesome Birdman!!! Sweet!

10. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Thanks Uro! It's not a mansion or anything, but it's home, plenty big for us and we have a really nice lot with 6 acres.

BTW, when are you going to buy an Fcar for YOUR garage? ;)

Birdman

11. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Um,
    Is that heater going to be blowing directly onto the nose of whatever's up on the lift. 60K BTUs is a lot of HOT air!

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yeah, that already occurred to me and I raised it up another 18 inches so it is now only 18" from the ceiling.

Birdman

13. Roscoe

Roscoe Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i too added a third bay with a two post lift this year. After going back and forth on the heat options, I settled on a Modine heat exchanger; just ran a seperate zone off my boiler. Love the heated garage. I leave it on about 48 most days and up to 60 if I am going to be working out there.

14. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    If you have hot water heat, that's a great idea! I didn't know they had those. But I have air in the house, so I needed something self-contained. The gas co guy said they install a ton of these things and he actually has the same one in his garage and loves it.

Birdman

15. Roscoe

Roscoe Karting

Sep 18, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Shh dont tell anyone but there is a P (GT3) car in the new bay.. no "F " car ...yet!

16. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Looks great!
    It looks so good and cozy and roomy that i would love to bring my 308 down there and do the belts. (wink wink) :)

17. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Birdman-
    Looks awesome! I have total garage envy....

Heat is a welcome addition I bet- I spent a cold day in there last winter working on a water pump or something.

Later-

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Jwise-Yes, I forget what we were working on that day, but it was cold! That was pre-heat, pre-insulation and I think pre-siding....so the wind just blew right through!

Chris, if we're just talking belts, we can do your car in a day. However, I thought we were doing a full major, which means the car will be here for a week or two, so we should wait until spring when I don't have car storage issues!! Also, do you want to drive it in the salt season to get here???

They are hooking up my gas on Tuesday....I can hardly wait!!

Birdman

19. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    I was just being a wise guy. :)
    Yeah, she's all put away for the winter.

20. Billy The Kidd

Billy The Kidd Karting

Nov 1, 2005
    Boston || Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Billy Mead
    What an amazing garage this will be.. a dream. And I can't thank you enough for the lift referral. Take delivery in a few weeks... keep the pictures coming please ;)

Billy

21. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Gaspar & I just did a full major + timing drive bearings on his 328. Figure a minimum of 3 weekends.

Belts only w/o pulling cam covers. Plan on 2 long days. Most of the work is getting the belt covers off & on again. Such little details as pulling the a/c compressor & alternator take an amazing amount of time.

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yo Billy! You bought a lift from Tec? Cool. They are great to work with. I was very happy with the lift and their installation and follow up. Glen is a good guy.

UPDATE on the garage!

The spacklers finished last week and they left their staging for the weekend, so this weekend was a painting weekend. Verell and Capn (Michael) came over on Fri night to help paint. I had a few other friends show up on Sat and Sun and between the three days we got the rooms all painted. Today the gas company showed up with my 100 gallon propane tank and plumbed it all. I took the opportunity to help out so I could learn all about gas fitting. Not an expert, but I learned a lot! So we test fired the heater and MAN it works great! Verell, there should be no problems with proximity to the car. The fan pushes so much air that the actual temperature of the air at the vent is not too hot to stand RIGHT in front of. So a few feet back, it will not bake anything. The thing works by blowing a large volume of air that is only about 25 degrees above room temp, rather than a small volume of extremely hot air like the kerosene heater I have been using. It heated the garage from 45 degrees to 60 degrees in about 10 minutes! Then I had to shut it off because it can't be "officially" run until the gas inspector does an inspection and I get a full propane tank. That should happen later this week.

More details and pics to follow!!

Birdman

23. Pizzaman Chris

Pizzaman Chris F1 Rookie

Mar 13, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Pizzaman Chris
    Oh man, if i knew you guys were there painting friday night i would have brought over some pizzas AND beer after work. Would have been a long weekend. ;)

24. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    If you bring pizza and beer, you don't even have to paint!! ;)

Jonathan

25. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Congratulations!! I am pink with envy. Wish I had a garage like that!