My New Stradale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My New Stradale

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bobbyd, Mar 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Greetings and many exhilarating miles Bob. How would you compare the Gallardo and the Stradale? I'm considering the Gallardo because of it's all-weather prowess, but the real world, i.e. non-journalist, reviews I've read
    aren't so glowing.

Your thoughts?

2. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Cavallini, I have a total of about 30 miles in a Gallardo during an extended test drive, so my experience is limited. What I can say is that on the whole I really liked the car. For me the positives of the Gallardo are: very good looks, compact outer dimensions, excellent grip, great brakes, and lots of torque throughout the rev band. It also has a quality interior that looks like it will last (though it looks a little too much like an Audi in terms of materials and instrumentation IMO). The negatives? Well, not many. It is a heavy car @ 3550 lbs curb weight, and its steering could have more feel. The engine, while very strong, does not fly up to the redline with the abandon of a CS or a Modena, and while it sounds good it does not compare to the sound of a CS or even a Modena above 5000 RPM.

Overall, I think the Gallardo is a fine car, and different from competing Ferrari models. I chose the Stradale because, to me, it looks better, sounds better, has a more bespoke interior with better seats (albeit more delicate), is lighter and feels more nimble, and is just more fun and exciting to drive. I actually think that there is enough difference in the personalities of the two cars that, given enough disposable income, that one could have both and enjoy each for their own qualities.

To me, the Gallardo is closest in character to a Porsche 996 Twin Turbo, but with better and more exotic looks and much better engine sound.

I can't afford a CS AND a Gallardo. Besides, I like lighter rear drive cars, hence my choice of a GT3. However, IMO all the cars mentioned above are great cars. Just a matter of personal choice.

Cheers!

3. Cavallini

Cavallini Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Valiable first-hand insights Bob. Many thanks.

JPR

4. Clark

Clark Karting

Feb 23, 2004
    Suwanee
    Full Name:
    Clark Driggers MD
    Bobby,

Congrats on your new car. I was playing Golf with levy last week and he said it was the best looking CS he has seen yet. I can't wait to see it. The guys at FOA have made a template for some front skid plates. I inquired about them for my 355 and actually saw them on a 360 and they looked great. Ask Mark in service...

Clark