My new (to me) 360 - the wait is almost over... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My new (to me) 360 - the wait is almost over...

Discussion in '360/430' started by ar4me, Jul 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobby355

bobby355 Karting

May 21, 2009
    very fine taste my friend! congrats.

There is no finer color for the lazy man. You can drive it through the mud and it will still look clean!!

2. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Congratulations on a fine F-car!!!

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Can't wait to get out of work, hook up trailer, pack the essentials, and get ready for an early start tomorrow morning. The count-down is on.

Once I get it home I would love to meet up with some of you local F'chatters.

Jes

4. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Have a great trip Jes. Sounds like a lot of fun.

5. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #30 ar4me, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We arrived at Salt Lake City this evening and will pick up the car tomorrow morning :) The drive through Las Vegas and the desert was hot with outdoor temps as high as 110F, but cabin of SUV was nice and cool with AC running all day. With empty trailer the SUV averages around 11 MPG with speeds at 65-80 MPH. With loaded trailer it will drop to just below 10 MPG. Here are some pics taken with my phone along the way...
    Jes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Purkinjie

Purkinjie Karting

May 27, 2010
    Cape Cod, MA
    Full Name:
    Gordon K. Nakata
    One of my favorite parts of the country. Vacation, awesome car, the family. You have it all. The car looks outstanding. Enjoy!

Gordon

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #32 ar4me, Jul 23, 2010
    Back in the land of "civilization" with cell-phone coverage, WiFi at hotels, TV in the room... After picking up the car Thursday we headed to Bryce Canyon, which is incredible, but has none of the above conveniences of modern society.

Anyway, back to the car. We went to Steve Harris Imports shortly after they opened Thursday morning. There it sat, on the showroom floor, major done, detailed, and ready for new adventures. Tim and Sean are just great. Tim had to run pick up some of the stuff for the car: cover, original exhaust (has Tubi installed but they still had the original). He handed me the keys and suggested to start it up. Shortly after Sean came out and asked if I wanted to take it for a test drive. As I don't know the area, he came along, showing me the little details of mechanical Ferrari sympathy that will make things last. Funny enough, not too different from Alfa ownership. Sean drove the first couple of blocks after which we switched. All my expectations and more were met. Not just by this particular car, but the Ferrari experience. Everything is precise and the communication from the car is unbelievable - I cannot wait to get home and put some miles on it, and really get to know it. It is like a glove that fits to perfection. I'm sure the expression on my face said it all when we came back to the dealership - a kodak moment. My wife isn't into cars at all!!, but she later told me that seeing the expression on my face made it all worth it, and I think she understood some of "it" at that moment.

The car itself is just great. Perfect cosmetically, very tight, no apparent mechanical issues, perfect shifting from the 6-speed - it is all and more than I expected. I had seen pictures and gotten Tim's word, but you always (at least I do) have this reservation until I see it myself. I just love it, and can't wait to put some miles on it.

I cannot say enough positive about my experience with Steve Harris Imports. Tim showed me around, we looked at an Enzo they are rebuilding in the shop, he showed me a 458 that was just unloaded the previous evening. Tim and one of the guys (missed his name) helped load the 360 into the trailer and get it tied down properly. It is tight on the sides, may 3" to the wheel wells of the trailer.

The scenery of southern Utah is breath taking. First Bryce Canyon, driving 14 by Cedar Breaks at 10000' altitude between Bryce and Zion, and today and tomorrow Zion. Yeah, I know, towing the 360 on roads that would be perfect for driving it.

Jes

8. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Great story and write up! Keep the updates coming!!

Have a safe and fun trip back. Don't forget to check the tie-downs every time you stop and make sure nothing is loose.

9. needaferrari

needaferrari Karting
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Jes,
    I had the pleasure of seeing your car the last time I was at SH..I was going to try to get down there on Thursday morning to meet you and take some pics but unfortunately I had to help get my home ready for a showing:(......Its a beauty,lots of luck with it..Kevin

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Awesome Jes
    welcome to the Ferrari world

11. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Me too, I thought it was a 16M with that stripe then I realised it had a roof lol.

WOW, who says the US doesn't have some great roads? Not me. The Scenery is fantastic.

12. ARED4RE

ARED4RE Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    Nice write up! I have a like new set of RED luggage that came with my 360 Spider that I want to sell now that the car is long gone. PM me if interested and I will email you pix.

13. 9krpm

9krpm Rookie

Jun 14, 2008
    TEXAS
    Full Name:
    RAY C
    #38 9krpm, Jul 24, 2010
  14. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Finally!!!

Congratulations, Jes!

Let me tell ya .. the addiction is similar yet more intense than the Alfa Romeo world. Looks like you picked a beauty! Might have to make a roadtrip to come see you ;)

15. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    beautiful. Congrats.

16. LennyZeutzius

LennyZeutzius Karting
    BANNED

Dec 21, 2004
    Palmdale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lenny
    Congrats on your Ferrari.

Something came to mind, and almost thought about not mentioning it, but it seems rather odd how the car was put back on the showroom floor and not picked up/presented from the shop where it was just worked on,,seems like alot of trouble to move all the cars around to put it back on the showroom floor just for pick up.

Just me.

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #42 ar4me, Jul 25, 2010
    Thanks all.

Just got home this evening. Hiked Zion this morning with wife and son, we just got back from the hike when a thunderstorm broke, a gazillion lighting bolts in an hour or so hitting the peaks. Attached a few pics of the drive into Bryce Canyon yesterday and from Zion this morning (we hiked up from the valley floor).

Lenny, I suspect they needed the lifts for other work as they appeared pretty full and probably didn't want the 360 to block or sit around the workshop area while they need to get cars in and out. Not sure why you would put anything into that.

I will unload the 360 from the trailer tomorrow morning and maybe get some pics. Though, probably getting boring for most by now.

Forgot to mention that Thursday was a pretty intense day, particular the morning. For me it ranks right up there with other big days in life.

Nizam, come on down.

Jes

18. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    Jes! Wow! Congrats!!!!

:)

19. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #44 ar4me, Jul 27, 2010
    Thanks Jess.

Got it unloaded Sunday and took it for a longer drive along PCH and various roads, though it is pretty obvious that it will take some creativity to come up with some roads that will do the car justice and allow it to be opened up a bit... On weekends, around here, most roads are pretty crowded by now... Any favorite roads in South Orange County?

Took a few pictures before putting it in the garage. Hopefully, I will get time to clean up the modular wheels next weekend and put them on.

Do you guys always put on the trickle charger whenever parking it, or only if parked longer than 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks? Or, do you just turn off the battery in the front trunk whenever you park it? This is new territory but I'm pretty sure it will discharge the battery fairly rapidly given it is Italian ;-) What's the consensus?

Jes

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Can't help you on the roads, but FWIW, I mostly drive my car on weekends, so during the week I have it on the battery tender all the time. I've done this with all my other cars (BMWs are notorious for running batteries down when the car is just sitting), without any problems and only upside. While people I know suffer having to change out batteries every 3 years, I regularly get >5 out of mine.

21. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    I don't recommend turning off the battery switch as a regular practice. It will require you to let the car idle for 10 or minutes each time you turn it back on to allow the computer to relearn. I drive my 360 once or twice a week and have no trouble with the battery. I recently went on vacation for 12 days and felt a little uneasy about leaving my car hooked up and plugged in while nobody was home so I left it off the battery tender. When I returned I connected the battery tender overnight and it started up fine the next morning. I am sure that it would be beneficial to keep it on the battery tender if you are not going to drive it for several days. I haven't been doing that and I have not found it to be a problem.

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I drive mine 1-3 times per week but it has sat for 2 weeks without starting. I haven't used the trickle charger yet.

23. Bebs

Bebs Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2010
    London, UK
    Mine will sit for 3 weeks and start, no problem. If less than a week and battery is dead - you know you need a new bat.

24. lamontlawyer921

lamontlawyer921 Formula Junior
    Owner

Jul 1, 2010
    The West Coast
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Looks great! I am sure I will see you driving around the OC on the weekends!

25. 4EverRosso

4EverRosso Rookie

Feb 15, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I regularly leave my car plugged into the tender when not in use. This could be only a couple of days or it could be weeks if I'm too busy to drive. I've never been concerned about leaving it plugged in while out of town but now I'm wondering if I should. Have had or heard of problems occuring from these low amp chargers?