My new (to me) 360 - the wait is almost over... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My new (to me) 360 - the wait is almost over...

Discussion in '360/430' started by ar4me, Jul 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    A 360 and a Milano Verde...now thats what I call taste...Keep it up!

2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    April, you jinxed it!!! The CEL came on this morning :( Oh well, time to connect the OBDII scanner and see what triggered it. Already tried tightening the gas cap - wasn't it... My understanding is that if it was the gas cap the CEL would immediately turn off upon re-start after tightening the gas cap.
    Jes

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    So, if I connect the OBDII scanner and turn ignition on (without starting the car) the scanner reports no codes stored in memory and car is ready for emissions testing. But, the minute I fire up the engine it reports P0411 (Secondary air injection incorrect, upstream airflow detected), and the ready for emissions testing goes red. Turn car back off and re-do, and it still reports no codes stored when ignition is turned on (but car isn't started), and car is ready for emissions testing. Fire it up and P0411 shows up and no go for emissions testing. Any clues, suggestions?

I did add gas this morning before the drive where the CEL came on, but cap is tight. Would leaking gas cap trigger P0411 and would this not get stored?

I'm hesitant to clear codes since I need to put it through emissions testing, and it would require driving around to accumulate miles for emissions testing readiness. Besides, what would clearing do when it reports no codes stored in memory? Since it is not stored I'm hoping it is minor, and perhaps it can be resolved without resetting.

Does gas cap CEL eventually go out by itself? Requires certain number of re-starts... how many?

Jes

4. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Dont own one and have never had a need 1 week 2 weeks starts first time enjoy

5. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    When I frist got my 02 six sppeed and put gas in i got a cel called Guiseppe and he told me to turn of battery for 10 minutes turn back on a push gas pedal to floor 1 time quickly and THEn start car and cel gone and never an issue again gas cap was a hair loose ... Just an idea .. thanks b

6. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    curious what is the purpose of stepping on gas pedal before start up?

7. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #82 ar4me, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
    So, back to the P0411 OBDII code. I decided to reset the code and CEL with my OBDII scanner. I took the car for a 65 miles drive, and it has not come back. However, upon return I reconnected the OBDII scanner (with engine running so I can see codes). It does not show any codes, which is good, but one of the sub-groups has not yet completed a full cycle, and hence hasn't fully cycled all diagnostics for the CEL. That is the "AIR" subgroup. I bet that P0411 belongs to that group, and once sub-group complete will once again trigger CEL. Does anyone know the mileage cycle for the "AIR" sub-group on the 360?

My car has Tubi exhaust, and from this post http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=137016640&postcount=10 I read that the ports on these valves behind tail lights (see pics) need to be plugged. I got hopeful and went to check. The right side has not been capped, but the tube has a bolt in it - suppose that should do. So, whoever put the Tubi on was obviously paying attention. The left side is much more cramped, and I was unable to verify. I will probably try find some caps that provide a definite seal.

Jes

8. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    Honestly have no idea but Guiseppe at F&M is a genius with these cars and as you can ask anyone on this site So if he said Drop your drawers and moon the thing I would and Ill bet it would work .....Hope that clarifys

9. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Turning off power for some time resets onboard diagnostics and turns off CEL - same can be done with OBDII scanner. If there is a real fault behind, then the CEL it will come back on at some point. Some groups take some miles for the onboard diagnostics to complete the check - I have 65 miles after reset and the AIR sub-group still has not completed check.
    Jes

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I'm now up to 120 miles since clearing the P0411 code. So far so good, but really no cigar... When I got home I hooked up the OBDII scanner, and the AIR sub-group has still not completed its run-cycle. Does anyone know the run-cycle for the OBDII AIR group? All other groups have completed their run-cycles successfully.
    Jes

11. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #86 ar4me, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    Could it be that I just need to run it with AC on to complete the AIR run-cycle? I have to admit that during the 120 miles I never has the AC on... I will run it within a couple of days with AC on.

I found the following on the internet. Of course, as they say, you get what you pay for, so who knows how accurate this is. Apparently, this was handed to someone by a test station:

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes. To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.

Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.

Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.

Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55- 60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.

Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.

Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

12. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #87 ar4me, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  13. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    After 160 miles the CEL has not come back on, and I took it for CA smog today. It passed the rolling road test and all other tests. Silly me, I thought I was all golden and went to AAA to transfer ownership and register it... just to learn that AAA does not do the DMV paperwork when car is bought from a dealer, only private party sales - go figure.... Trying to make an appoinment with CA DMV - good luck, next available time is Sep 28 - what a joke. So, one has to go line up and waste a day waiting at the DMV office, and who knows what misery they'll put me through :( Gotta love CA...
    Jes

14. ttdang123

ttdang123 Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2009
    North San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Tung
    About the CA AAA: They did the DMV registration for me when I bought mine from an Arizona dealer (not a F-car dealer) at the beginning of this year. They must be changing their policy?

You could also hire a service to register for you. I know such service is available but not sure where you are. You might want to google it in your area?

15. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #90 ar4me, Aug 19, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
    I'm in south Orange County.

Given how little it takes people to screw up, I think I will handle this myself. I cannot imagine the pain having to straighten out something with DMV because an agent made a mistake or lost paperwork...

It's ironic, I thought: great, the dealer has prepared all the paperwork, I just carry it into AAA and register. Uh, oh, no... It has been a while since I dealt with US goverment or state beaureaucracy and had happily forgotten the joy. Guess I will get a flashback in the coming days :)

Maybe I'll try call a AAA center to double check it is really true they can't do cars bought through a dealer. Maybe it only appplies to cars from CA dealers, and she didn't bother to check but just brushed me aside. What are the chances they changed policy between beginning of the year and now?

Jes

16. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Nope, AAA confirmed, they are not allowed by CA DMV to register vehicles bought from an out of state dealership in the AAA office. They just obey CA DMV and cannot provide any reason.

Time to go line up at DMV...

Jes

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    #92 ar4me, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After spending an afternoon at CA DMV getting it registered, transferring title, and paying CA taxes + registration (=$$$), I finally got time to put on the modular wheels and replace the siren with a new one. I had no beeping and constant red alarm light while driving. I learned from other threads that this is a sure sign that the rechargeable battery in the siren has expired. Based on the information in various threads I opted for a new siren (instead of wiring in a new battery), and comparing the two I can see that the new one uses a different type of battery. After replacing the siren all alarm functionality is back to normal - gotta love F'chat :)

Find below a few pics with the modular wheels.

I put quite a bit of miles on it over the past couple of weeks - love it.

Jes
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. needaferrari

needaferrari Karting
    BANNED

Jan 31, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Modulars look great and give it a more race like look..Good choice!

19. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

looks much better with the modulars