My new-to-me Cali 30 from Wichita has arrived! (& I need books) | FerrariChat

My new-to-me Cali 30 from Wichita has arrived! (& I need books)

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by fossilfuel, Dec 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    #191144 (per thread below...and thanks to all for the good input) arrived this morning.

2013 California 30, HS, rear-seat-delete and some other nice options. The Nero looks great in person (at least while clean).

I owned TWO Ferrari's for about 5 minutes :) before the same transporter loaded my F430 trade-in and took her away.

I drove the Cali all of 8 miles straight to Ferrari of Austin to have the annual service booked in year 2017.

/////////

Even though the car has only had 2 real owners (per Carfax) it has moved around between a handful of dealers and somewhere along the way ALL the books/manuals have been lost (and the car cover, seat cover, etc). The service records are intact in the Ferrari system.....but I would like to find a set of manuals.

So calling out to the forum for a set of 2013 California books and zipper cases......let me know what you have.

I am so looking forward to the car and continuing to enjoy this forum!

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

-mark (aka fossilfuel)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #2 4th_gear, Dec 30, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    Happy New Year and congratulations on a great replacement for your F430! Welcome to the fold.

You and your partner will love the Cali30 HS. If you are also into "extra" Ferrari "symphony" I can personally recommend the Capristo muffler... and if you like track car symphony and don't mind it really loud and raspy in SPORT mode... the full Capristo exhaust system.

BTW, there are numerous offers on eBay for Cali manuals... including at least one for a 2013 Cali.

Here's an old photo of mine before upgrades. Your car is almost the flip-side to mine.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MC355 and KarloGedan like this.
  3. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Thanks Micheal!

I love the white as well---they seem to be very rare, but a great color that really shows off the lines of the car. Your yellow calipers and shields POP with the white. It would be fun to have our cars together as the good/evil twins :)

Once I digest the purchase, I will look at Capristo's (I had their exhaust suspension on my F430--their build quality is top notch). I'll cruise ebay for manuals.

Happy new year and may 2018 be best ever!

-mark

4. Sir_Ferrari

Sir_Ferrari F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian B.
    Congratulations! Great color combination!

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Congratulations!

You can download a PDF manual from Ferrari. This works great just put it on your cell phone.

6. 4th_gear

4th_gear F1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Michael
    ...having "our cars together as the good/evil twins" would be great fun. I also really like the spec on your "Black Beauty".

It would be one helluva drive for me to get to Austin but I imagine there might be an FCA member or area Cali owner with a white car to take my place at a local weekend event. A couple of decades ago I recall driving, as a visitor, to an out-of-town business meeting from downtown Austin and the drive was really nice. :D

Finally, and I'm sure it's redundant advice but... make sure the battery in the car is actually good and use a high quality CTEK charger fastidiously.

7. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Thanks Adrain (sir_ferrari). I love your city, Munich is amazing!

good2go----great idea, putting the manual on my phone for quick in-car access. Brilliant!

Micheal, thanks--- if you find yourself in austin for any reason (i hear we have a race track :) look me up. You won't recognize the place from even 5 years ago, much less 20+ years. BBQ is on me! And YES on battery tender. I learned with my F430---it ran better and shifted (f1) WAY better with a fully charged battery.

I am now looking for a ferrari branded charger for my Cali to go along with my missing books (ebay is my friend, but i'd prefer to buy from f-chatters).

Keep the rubber side down on New Years eve, guys.

-mark

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Great looking car and congrats on the purchase! What a way to end the year huh? Now your gonna have to figure out how to top it next year. Quick question, how does it compare to F430 experience so far (I know you just got it)? Think you will miss it (the F430)?

9. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Hi Eric,

Thanks! I literally drove the cali 8 miles and dropped it off at the dealer for service. Ask me again in about a week :)

I do have some worries about missing at least some elements of the 430---mid-engine balance, and even, dare i say it, the feel of the single clutch F1 tranny. It is also a lower, longer looking car vs the cali.....probably in a jury of 100 people, the 430 would rate as better looking (?).

All that said, at least in theory (again, ask me in a week or two of actual ownership) the trade offs of modernity, ingress/egress, features, mechanical sturdiness, etc. will make the cali a better choice for ME at this time.

California is still a damn good looking car, fast as stink, a convertible, and from Maranello! :) Both cars are amazing "dream cars" and i would not discourage anyone from either, especially if they educate themselves as to what to expect......

Happy 2018

-mark

10. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    The main factor for us on the selection of the California was ingress/egress and overall comfort over long distance. The main driver for the selection of a Cali was my wife, insistant that whatever we bought had to have a backseat and be easy to get into and out of and to a smaller extent be able to hold some semblance of its value (no new cars). We rode in a lot of cars, Austin Martins, Maserati's, ect, but the California was the one she liked best and was most comfortable in. I wanted a 430 or a 458 but just the fact the the wife is on board ill sacrifice (first world problem I know) for a California which is a really nice car. We like the California so much we Always rented one when on vacation in Vegas.

Good luck with your purchase, It appeared to be a great car except its black and no back seat. My daughter was kinda mad when i told her someone bought it, but she smiled pretty good when i took her in to see the 488 they have. Hopefully they put your 430 out for sale and dont send it to auction. im sure my daughter would love to check that out as well. (my daughter is my car buff)

11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I will be joining the fraternity in '18 and strongly leaning toward the Cali but would entertain a great deal on a F430 hence why I asked. Az comments above is about exactly where I am. Looking forward to the new year and what it brings.

12. sasso1977

sasso1977 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2013
    long island ny
    Full Name:
    cesar
    congrats , enjoy in good health.
    ive had my cali30 for over a year now. really a great reliable exotic.

13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats, Mark. That Cali is a beauty. A Cali 30 HS is the ultimate in the NA Cali line IMO. Hope 2018 brings lots of happy miles and more of those big smiles.

PDF manuals are here...
    https://www.ferrarifl.com/owner-manuals.htm

Happy motoring...T

14. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Thanks Guys!!! I am excited about the car and hope to be a good community member here on the forum!

-mark

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    rear seat delete, that's cool, didn't know you could do that.

16. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Think it was an early option, like manual transmission. Doesn't add as much value though.
    T

17. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Congratulations on your Cali! Not much fun driving it right now but just wait for March and some of those crazy warm February days if we get them this year. You will love that top down option.

18. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Rob,
    In looking at LOTS of Cali's for sale, I discovered the rear-bench option. TomC is right, probably doesn't add value (in fact may limit universe of buyers with many preferring rear seat option)....but for me, I like it. I have had a few 911's over the years and always wanted an "RSD" for one of them. I will never carry little passengers, so it will avoid commentary from onlookers about the "worthless back seats" :)

William, I hope to meet you at a Cars and Coffee in Austin when the weather warms up!

-mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. MC355

MC355 Rookie

Jan 4, 2018
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Michael C.
    Congrats OP (fossilfuel) on the Cali. I’m in the market for a 2013+ Cali as well. Enjoy and please update us on how she drives

20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    nice collection! ;)