My newly acquired F40 replica | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My newly acquired F40 replica

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40 replica guy, Dec 12, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    It's called a K1 Attack, uses old 91-96 Accord engines or an optional prelude engine. It's actually a very well made kit, almost looks like quality!

2. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    there was a hilarious line in one of the threads...I believe it was off topic...."Replicas are like transvestites"....and I can't remember the punch line....

3. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    do you need a punchline ?lol nuff said

4. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    Nice looking.

As an aside, I point out that there is such thing as recreations, in which very rare cars are replicated part by part, even using factory engine/drivetrain. These certainly aren't kit cars.

A past Forza issue mentioned a GTO owner who garaged his car when the value of GTOs soared. He then commisioned a duplicate to use in his racing activities.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    New Zealand actually:

www.f40.co.nz

Can't reach the website currently, but anyway those replicas are about as good as it gets and have the power to back up the looks. Sadly not Ferrari power, but Toyota.

6. indaville

indaville Formula 3

Oct 6, 2005
    Louisville, KY
    DO NOT PUT THE F-CAR EMBLEMS ON A FAKE!!!!!!

7. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I hate all kits.

Buy the real thing instead. It does not have to be a F40. Buy an entry level F car, if that is what you want. If the entry level F car is too much, purchase an entry level P car.

8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll attract a good share of responses, few of them positive. I was always puzzled by the mentality of the fake anything, whether its a watch, a handbag or a car. I suppose, at some level, it lets you indulge in the fantasy of owning the real thing at virtually no cost. But, unlike a watch or handbag which can perform many of the same functions as the real thing without troubling your enjoyment, i imagine that driving something mocked up to look like a high performance exotic will fall a little short of the authentic experience. (I'll put to one side, replicas of things like C-type jaguars, the better 250 GTO copies, and the like, simply because alot of these go to much trouble to duplicate the original as much as possible, to recreate the authentic experience of driving something that is rare and impossibly priced). So, then, the issue becomes not your enjoyment of the vehicles performance so much as the bling factor to others. And, that's where I get baffled. Because the folks that would have an authentic interest in your car will probably be the first to recognize that it is not what it purports to be. I guess, since you decided to post here (and assuming that its not a fake post intended to provoke), you might explain what you enjoy about a cheap replica.

9. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    ?

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I want to see some pictures! I dont like fake anything, well....except for boobies.

11. ClassicFerrari

ClassicFerrari F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 7, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Vasco
    Stroll from Quebec did that.

12. mark328

mark328 Guest

Jul 30, 2005
    Mi
    Full Name:
    Mark
    In reference to your public profile you have your F-40 replicar listed under personal Ferrari's you need to move that to other cars owned. A replicar does not count under this heading.

13. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I am very happy for you. It sounds like a fun project to me. Have fun!
    :)

14. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    In all fairness, I suppose replicars can serve a certain purpose... Its all in what you get out of them. If this car makes you happy; great! But in stark terms I must say that I do not understand the kit car phenomena. A well done Cobra replica with blown 454 with modern underpinnings would be sweet, but paying $10 grand to ride around in a Pontiac Fiero?

To answer your question about the intent of a F-car owner.. I can only speculate as I am not one. There are the obvious people that buy such a car to show off or pose, but I would postulate that the majority of F-car owners buy these cars because of a passion for fast cars, classic design and the spine tingling experience of driving these machines. Its more than a look, more than "going 200mph", its a passion that transcends explination in some ways. That is why a kit car cost $10k and Ferraris.. well..

That is why I am bound to buy one eventually. Even if it leaves me in a cardboard box. ;)

15. cshargh

cshargh Karting

Apr 18, 2005
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Cyrus

Uuuuhhh, maybe you can clarify for us....If you don't like pretense, then why did you buy a replica, knowing that most people won't know it's a replica, aren't you then "pretending" to be driving a real F40? And wouldn't that be pretense?

It's like walking around pretending to be rich, with replica watches, belts, shoes etc. You know you're not rich, but if everyone else doesn't know, then you're pretentious.

On the other hand, have fun with your car, and can't wait to see the pics.

Cyrus

16. LopeAlong

LopeAlong Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    West of St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hello Brian,
    Your enthusiasm for the marquee is sadly missing from many who post on this site, please stay around. However, I would have to disagree with your statements above. Aside from family and a few close friends, no one knows I own an F-car. I do not drive past old girlfriend's houses or secretly hope some guy who gave me crap in High School or College "can see me now!" I could give a flying rat's a$$. I bought the car because I am as big a fan as you are. I bought it because I wanted a taste of Enzo's passion. I am happiest on a long twisty road with no other cars in sight. I hate driving it in the city, on highways, and although I will answer any reasonable question - I will spend the most time with people who appreciate what the car is. It's not about me. There are many in the F-car community who feel the same. However, there are others who think the ratio of attention and self worth are in direct proportion with what they spent, or what model, # of cylinders, etc. In my humble opinion, they are worse than the folks who put Ferrari stickers on a Honda with a fart can. I owned an '88 Fiero many years ago and until I got my 308, it was the most fun I have had with a car. Not only that, I could sit in it with straight legs - no small feat with my 6'4" frame. There are coil-over kits that will allow you to achieve 1+g on handling, performance parts for the motor, brother the sky is the limit.

You make this car whatever you want it to be. Have fun, and don't worry about what anyone thinks. There is nothing wrong with being an automotive enthusiast.
    Jim

17. stugots

stugots Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    PDX
    Full Name:
    B T L
    Welcome...

Is that the car that sat under a tarp on foster road?

18. Mbutner

Mbutner Formula 3

Aug 11, 2005
    Bay Area / Washington DC
    Full Name:
    Quick Draw
    Thats not exactly right. Ascari started the company building these cars one off, with variousl components but since has develped the model into a production vehicle. It is set to go into production very soon for over $200k with 500 hp V8. Here is an old article from EVO magazine on a development car:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/55716/ascari_kz1.html

The company has also openned a new "supercar" resort wear people can race on their custom track, drive any car in the collection (from many other marques as well) and relax. Just thought I would clarify the company.

http://www.ascari.net/subsecciones.php?idioma=2&&seccion=15&&subseccion=4

19. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Am i the only one who saw the pun...? :)

Brian, it sounds like you're having fun and enjoying life and that's most important... It sounds like you really like Ferraris, too... Maybe one day you'll get one... Until then, keep enjoying life and stick around; your honesty is refreshing...

20. George J.

George J. Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2005
    Bay area, CA
    Full Name:
    George J
    Over forty reply posts and 800+ views, talk about attention! I post photos of my car or something I find interesting to a group and nada. All of this and not even a photo yet.

I don't like replica anything personally, however as my eighth grade history teacher Mr. B would say "each to their own said the old lady when she kissed the cow". I always hope people enjoy their toys and this is no exception. Some have said why not buy an entry level Ferrari and enjoy that, however even a bargin is going to cost more and the cost to keep the real car in shape is going to be a LOT more than a little Pontiac.

I hope you have a big smile on your face every time you walk up to it, or look back over your shoulder after a drive.

Cheers, George

21. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah
    If I had a choice of buying a real F40 or a fake I would choose a good quality fake. One with a handmade tubular frame, excellent engine etc... The one I have is, of course, a Fiero and therefore lacks the power of a real one. The dimensions are the same though.. except the stance might be a tad off.

The reason I don't have pics is it is in paint right now. I should be picking it up today in a few minutes. I have to wait for the shop to open up and then I am headed in. As soon as I get the car I am taking pics.

I thought long and hard about this decision and actually searched for close to 6 months to find the right replicar. I am not much of a poser in reality and I don't even like makeup and fake boobs. I don't like slammed mini-trucks and rice burners with 1 inch of ground clearance. I am not fond of the culture of pretty people who find their identity in the things they own ... I would much rather send my money to missionary organizations like http://www.ywam.org/ . I can see my $400k (cost of an F40) going alot further in their hands than in a car that leaves the garage once a month. I would say the reason i wanted this vehicle is I love odd things. I wear vintage clothing and I just love the unusual. So naturally when I put my house up for sale and was intending to buy a car with some of the proceeds I went looking on Ebay to see what cars fit my budget ($11k). I started with cars like Honda Accord and Ford Exloder and such ... but I couldn't stomach being like 2 million others who owned the same car. So then I went to the "other" category and found TONS of cars I loved but they were all exotic older cars that would be impossible to find parts for .. like a messerschmitt and so forth. So then I monitored the replica cars and "other" category for the remaining months ... refreshing the pages several times a day to find the right car. I finally found this car on a local website and decided to go look at it. It was ugly but sounded like a fun project.

At that point I had to think long and hard about what it means to buy a replicar. Even though I still bought it I haven't actually figured out my deep seeted reasoning for buying the car... other than I like the unusual. I mean, how do you temper wanting an unusual car with not craving attention. It isn't so much that I want the attention as it is I want something that doesn't just blend in. I think many here will hold to that same sentiment.

I just called the paint shop and my buddy hasn't finished with it yet and it is being painted today .. so looks like tomorrow is the picture day.

22. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What will you tell people when they ask about it? Will you lie and pretend it's real? What if someone who knows better catches you in a lie just for fun, then calls you out on it?

Will you cry a little?

23. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    No you wouldn't.

24. F40 replica guy

F40 replica guy Karting

Dec 9, 2005
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Brian Jeremiah

I have already told people it is a replica. I plan on telling everyone it is just a replica .. "something I like to drive around for fun. It turns and handles like a go kart and has some really good acceleration but it isn't real."

I won't lie and tell people it is real ... unless it is maybe some kids and I am just goofing with them

25. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    I would think that a real good 'copy' would cost a significant amount of money. For example, there are a few 308's that have been 'converted' into 288's at some considerable expense. There are all those Cobra clones, the CAV versions of the GT40, etc. It is my impression that, for the most part, these 'copies' or 'replicas' strive quite hard to recreate the actual performance of the real thing. They are not cheap, but are still a fraction of the cost of the real thing. But, putting a body kit on a Fiero is not in this vein.
    Although you seem to take issue with Ferrari owners over their desire to impress, I'm really at a loss here, given your acknowledgement that the car you bought is not about how it drives or performs, but whether it attracts attention. You sound like you are down on Japanese cars, but a used WRX would be a blast to drive, and could be tuned to death and would probably be in the same range, pricewise as your Fiero-Ferrari. So, other than being provocative, I'm still not really sure of your point.