My own 997 Carrera S pics | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My own 997 Carrera S pics

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by SupercarFreak, Aug 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarFreak

SupercarFreak Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    nothing against you but i can't believe that, do you have any proof?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i was being sarcastic. as in, the stock wheels are SO unattractive that a costly upgrade is effectively mandatory.

doody.

3. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    I saw the cars last week (no test drives yet). Overall, I liked the changes. But I think they need to fix 3 things on the S:

1. I agree, those ugly over-designed wheels must go! The old Turbo twists were just fine.

2. I should be able to get the Sport mode functionality without having to get the silly wart on the dashboard.

3. They need to have a delete option for the LCD screen. Just put the Becker radio back in.

There may be some hope for the first 2 to be rectified, maybe by the next model year. I'm not so optimistic about the third one.

4. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I really like the way this thing looks. It harkens back to the 993.

I like the stock wheels. My dealer has an S but it has an MSRP of about $100K because it has the ceramic brake and other options I could do without.

I'm driving an S tomorrow. Can't wait!

Has anyone driven an S BTW?

Thanks, Mike

5. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Check on rennteam.com or 6speedonline.com Many in Europe and a few here have driven it. Like most of the automotive press, the reviews are glowing (although everybody has something that they dislike / hate).

I actually like the styling quite a bit. I agree with the comments that the car is better looking in person than in pics. It's not that the I was a big fan of the 993 (at least when compared to the 996); it's just that there seems to be a more purposeful thought given to overall styling. The car offers a logical feel of "advancement" while balancing styling ques that provide deference to the past. Striking that balance is a delicate act, and I think Porsche has executed masterfully here.

In the automotive world, function with form is a necessary hallmark of today's exotic beast, and again, from what I've read, the 997 excels - both relative to the 996 and also against competitors. I'm looking to get to test drive an S soon, so I can validate for myself. A bunch of us went to the official US release this past Saturday, and were hoping to get a drive, but it was a "look but don't drive" event.

A cold, blustery winter. Over-production in the next manufacturing cycle. Dealer incentives. And a Midnight Blue C2S with Full Leather, and the Sports Chrono package. Mmmm. Can't wait for the stars to be aligned. ;)

6. SupercarFreak

SupercarFreak Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Kensington, MD
    Full Name:
    Alex S.
    ah, i agree, the standard wheels on the 997 are pretty bland

btw, like everyone else here i would definitely go with the 996 GT3

7. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Vic, thank you. Very good information. I joined 6speedonline.co as well. I appreciate it.

Mike :)

8. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt Karting

Jul 31, 2004
    The wheels are merely ok - certainly not 360 CS alloys.

They look too busy, especially the centre section.

But at least they aren't as blingy bling bling as Gallardo/Murcielago wheels.

T.

9. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    Anytime.

10. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    i didnt believe it either, but i have read that in the earily 2000s, porsche was selling upwards of 30000 996s a year, which is about what chevy corvettes sell in a very good year....i have read this is several car magazines and also in barrons in an artical about prosches finances

11. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #36 Sfumato, Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Ershank

Ershank Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Jason Z
    $390 a PIECE you mean?

You wont get ANY selection or quality for under $400 a set for 19's. And even then, they're heavy as crap.

If you own a 100,000 dollar car and feel the need to change out the wheels, dont go the $400 route please.....

13. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    NOPE!
    Factory option wheels as pictured, on PCNA website, listed @ $390 US/SET upgrade. Never was very spendy to upgrade 911 wheels from factory. Through parts, different story. You prob get huge credit(off books) for wheels. All are forged, or at least used to be.
    Stupid to not upgrade, when you order, IMHO.

I say this as someone with 1.5K worth of wheels on my Works Cooper S. SSR comps, 12.1#/ea. Wouldn't suggest $400/set wheels, only thing between your a$$ and pavement is tires and wheels.

I do suggest driving the 997...BMW has lost me, but PCNA got me back.

14. Coujer

Coujer Karting

Jul 19, 2004
    Carmel, CA
    Full Name:
    Laurent C. Richard
    Wow, I love them already. So look like the 959 front end with a gt3 rear. It looks awesome, the interior is okay.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    No one thinks the dashboard is stupid ? It doesnt belong on a 911 ! It almost Audiesque..