My review of Mase Engineering ECU Software Upgrade, F430 | FerrariChat

My review of Mase Engineering ECU Software Upgrade, F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    First things first – I have no affiliation to Mase Engineering.

This is an honest review from myself and I just thought I’d share in case anyone here is interested in hearing my experience with the software upgrade.

My car is a 2006 F430 Spider, Agency Power headers, Kline Innovation exhaust.

3 weeks ago I removed my ECU’s and sent them to Steve Mase for software upgrade.

Got a call from Steve prior to him loading his software to confirm the mods I have and whether I wanted it tuned to 92 or 93 octane. Since 92 is the highest we have here in Seattle area we both agreed lets just leave it set at 92 octane

Steve immediately updated& flashed my ECU software and the following week I received it back.
    I installed them right away and finally got a break from the dang Seattle rainy weather and test drove my car after work today.

Summary:
    Definitely a great noticeable improvement compared to stock ECU software.

Acceleration is smooth, throttle response is improved and much more responsive, and my recently calibrated butt-o-meter confirms an increase of at least 35hp and about 30 lbs/ft of torque. Amazing increase in power for a simple software tune.

The chugginess and engine choking during auto downshift down to 1st gear is gone.
    F1 downshifts all the way to 1st gear smoothly now down to a complete stop. Amazing.

I am confident to say this is another worthy upgrade to our pride and joy cars.

Happy customer here. I highly recommend it.

Hope that helps some of you.

Dan

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Flea7 likes this.
  2. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Sounds great Dan! Thank you for this write-up.

Few more questions for you:
    -How long did it take to remove both ECUs? Was it easy? Any special tools required?
    -Did you do a normal ECU re-learn procedure after firing it up after install?
    -I wonder if anyone knows how the tune results vary between an F1 or 6MT cars?

Thanks! Glad to hear your tune worked out great!

whatheheck likes this.
  3. cpep

cpep Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    new york
    Full Name:
    CHARLIE
    Thanks for the review Dan. I put mine back in last week but only got to start it so far. Roads are still a mess by me but look forward to see the improvements.

whatheheck likes this.
  4. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    Great upgrade indeed. I'd get a dyno run graph before claiming any numbers however. ~30 wtrq increase is significant.

5. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Thanks for the post Dan.
    I'm planning to do a dyno once I have mine done by Mase. My car did dyno 448 with headers, testpipe w/stock exhaust. We probably lose a bit with the Kline X pipe configuration...so I'm hoping for about 460. f430 baseline is about 430hp.

Maybe we can schedule it with Carb Conn the same time? I usually hook up with a car group when one does "dyno days" . Last year BMW had one at Carb Conn. That's how I met David.

let me know.

f355spider likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Mikael, thanks for chiming in. See below.

1) Removing easy is very easy. Takes about half hour. Steve Mase will send you ECU removal instructions once you sign up for his software upgrade.

2) I normally do ECU relearn procedures but time was limited yesterday as it was getting dark night time so I just started my car, drove very slowly until the engine warmed up, then I pushed the engine hard and drove spiritedly and immediately notice the improvement of the new ECU software.

3) Sorry, my car has an F1 transmission so I dont have any experience on manual transmission software upgrade.

Hope that helps.

Dan

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Understand. Weather here in Seattle is crappy too.

We were lucky to have a break and get sunshine for a couple of hours so I took advantage of it to test the software.
    As always, my car puts a big smile on my face. Bigger smile now with the new software.

Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hello there my friend.

When I had my BMW M5 and M6, I joined the BMW car club for Dyno Days at Carb Connection.
    Super nice people at Carb Conn but I wasnt happy.......

Waited for hours for my turn, then turns out my numbers were low and they didnt say anything during or after the 1st & 2nd run.
    They said something after my car is all done that my numbers are low and I should check my M settings......
    They should have told me that after the 1st run!

I trust my butt-o-meter better now than any dyno numbers.
    Mine are calibrated regularly & accurately with asian hot oil massage :)

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I need to add this:

Sorry for claiming numbers without a dyno.
    My experience with dyno is not very good. You can run dyno's all day with different dyno machines and get different results as there are a few variables. Been there done that.

I also want to add that just like anything in life - your experiences may be different than mine.
    No two machines are alike.
    We also all have different expectations.

Im just sharing my experience.

I learned early in life too that as long as Im happy / as long as we are happy - life is good.

MaseEngineering and Raconteur like this.
  10. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Jealous you got to test it out!

I had mine installed back in the car for a few weeks now... but it is still snowing, after a few days of warm mid 50s weather, etc. Just not consistent enough to get all the salt off and to put the car back on collision insurance again.

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM

Yup. I get it.....
    I got the Mase CPU upgrade not just to get the additional HP but I wanted the car to run correct A/F ratio with all the mod I have in the car (especially with me running test pipes and w/ cats) and the only way really to get those numbers along with having the car run effieciently is to run a dyno.

f355spider and whatheheck like this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I understand. And sorry about that.

No worries Mike, I think you will get good weather soon!

Dan

13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Understood and I agree!

Dan

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I thought I'd provide an update to my thread.

Yesterday was really nice here in Seattle. Temperature reached 68F!
    I drove all day. Left my house at 8AM and came back home around 4:00 PM.

It got warm enough to push the car really hard and see how my car performs with the latest addition of MASE Engineering software.

Summary: Completely satisfied.
    Car's increased in power is very evident. Engine runs smooth.
    Best part for me was taking off in 1st gear. I finally figured out how to best take off on my F430 (with Mase software).

I press the gas pedal down hard about 1 inch down the floor, hold it there, let the engine catch up on RPM and the clutch immediately grabs. Once I determine clutch is fully engaged I then take off hard and there is no clutch slippage. Amazing.
    Thanks Mr. Steve Mase!

Very happy also with my new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Super sticky! Excellent in hard cornering.

Dan

cavlino, Doug2D, Flea7 and 2 others like this.