My review of Scuderia Audio Subwoofer for my F430 Spider | FerrariChat

My review of Scuderia Audio Subwoofer for my F430 Spider

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Aug 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing.

The usual disclaimer: I’m posting for sharing. I’m not here to argue or debate with anyone.
    Sharing info in case someone wants to go this route here is an honest review from my standpoint.
    Note that I have no affiliation with the business owner.

Just like anything in life, your experience may be different than mine so take this info for whatever value it provides to you.

Situation:
    Stock Hi-Fi Subwoofer is no good. No bottom end, very muddy sounding& rattles badly even at just mid volume level.
    I’m not looking for bass you can hear two miles down the road. Just very good, nice tight clean bass that doesn’t distort when cranked up.

I started with Kenwood 75W RMS small powered subwoofer model: KSC-SW11.
    Installed and tested.
    Summary: Weak. Not good enough bass for me.

Tried JL Audio ACS110LG-TW110 10 inch 400W RMS powered subwoofer.
    Awesome sound! Very clean, powerful tight chest pounding bass.
    Still not happy. Too big of footprint. And I want to retain a sort of stock look…..

Decided to try member Mike Niday of Scuderia Audio his custom made subwoofer enclosure loaded with 8” JL Audio 150W RMS Subwoofer wrapped in matching tan leather. Expensive but with a money back guarantee I have nothing to lose to try it.

Summary:
    Completely happy! Amazing sound. Nice, punchy, clean tight bass.

Not as loud as powerful as my 10” 400W JL Audio powered sub (as expected) but definitely sounds really nice and produces tight bottom end. His choice of using the 8” JL Audio Subwoofer for the driver is smart as JL Audio makes one of the best sounding subwoofer out there.

The subwoofer enclosure is very well made. Leather perfectly matches OE tan interior, stitching is perfectly aligned to the edges and box build quality is outstanding. No concerns or complaints. Great job Mike.

I powered mine with Kenwood X501-1 300W RMS @ 4 Ohms Mono Amp. Enough to drive the subwoofer with plenty of clean power with lots of headroom. Great amp for $200.00. Doesn’t get hot. Small enough to fit in the back of driver seat. See photo.

Mike is also a super nice guy and his customer service is excellent. Stands by his products.

I give Scuderia Audio F430 Subwoofer a 5 star & two thumbs up. Highly recommended.

Photo below + short 30 second video.

Hope that helps some of you.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dan

recoil, Red 27, gperson and 1 other person like this.
  2. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds great Dan! And the F430 looking good. I agree with you about Mike and Scuderia Audio. Mike made me subwoofer enclosures with the 8” JL Audio for my Testarossa. Great quality and Mike has awesome customer service. Very communicative and stands by his products.

gperson and whatheheck like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi John,

Thanks for chiming in.
    Glad to hear you are happy with your subwoofer too.

Have a great Sunday!
    Wife and I are going for Dim Sum lunch today. Extra MSG :)

All the best to you always,

Dan

ridege55 likes this.
  4. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Love dim sum also, just hungry again 15 minutes after leaving the restaurant

whatheheck likes this.
  5. gperson

gperson Karting

Jan 2, 2008
    Greensboro NC
    Full Name:
    Griffin
    Looks good Dan!
    Dial in sub crossover point, sub phase and gain...all should be good!
    I’m really liking mine as well.....Thanks for sharing!
    Enjoy the ride.
    G

whatheheck likes this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks Griffin!

Yes, I spent almost an hour finetuning the xover point, phase and gain today. Now it sounds really good.

Glad to hear you are enjoying yours too.

I have not forgotten, I will take some exhaust videos for you.
    I have taken sound at idle already and will eMail it to you.

Next time I go for a drive I will take acceleration, deceleration etc videos.

Dan

gperson likes this.
  7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I hear you. We too love dim sum.

Had a great dim sum lunch today with the wife.

Ramen soup next weekend.

Dan

ridege55 likes this.
  8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Update to this. I received a couple of inquiries asking how I installed the subwoofer amp wiring so here you go.

Very simple: Your new head unit has an RCA subwoofer out. Plug a 6 foot RCA audio cable to that mono output.
    Route that subwoofer audio cable through the center console heading towards the rear of the car all the way to where you want to mount your subwoofer amp and plug that cable in to the subwoofer audio input. That's it for that cable.

Your subwoofer amp needs power direct from the battery. Behind the driver seat you will see big red wiring. That's 12V positive controlled by the main battery power switch from the frunk. I like that circuit as you can still turn power off from the main battery disconnect switch. Install subwoofer power wire from one of the red terminals behind the driver seat and hook up the other end to your subwoofer amp 12V power input.

Find a good ground on behind the back seat and use that as ground for your subwoofer amp.

Audio output from your subwoofer amp now connects to your after market subwoofer speaker input.

That's it!

Hope that helps.

I would post pictures but my hard drive recently failed..........

Dan

DefunctNeurons likes this.