News

My Route 66 adventure:

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gatorrari, Sep 24, 2019.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    For the record, here is the average of what I paid for regular gas in each state. Not all 16 states appear since I did not have to fill up in some of them. Oddly, the octane ratings in a couple of states - I don't remember which ones - were lower than the rest; instead of the usual 87/89/93, they were 86/88/91. But the car didn't seem to mind. I got most of the gas at Shell or Chevron but Conoco and even Circle-K were in the mix.

IN - $2.25
    WI - $2.50
    IL - $2.55
    MO - $2.17
    OK - $2.30
    TX - $2.62
    NM - $2.85
    AZ - $2.91
    CA - $3.75
    LA - $2.30
    AL - $2.36

So, to answer the inevitable question: did I get my kicks on Route 66? Absolutely! And I've already found enough other things to do along the way to merit another trip sometime in the future. Hopefully the nostalgia movement will get more of the shuttered businesses along the Route to reopen.

And there's no reason why, given enough time, the same can't be done on other older highways. Take US-41, which is the "old road" through my hometown of Marietta, GA. During this trip, I actually found myself on sections of US-41 in Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin! So maybe next time I go to Chicago, I take 41 all the way. Why not?

2. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    With my wife, we have 11 trips to the USA behind us. We have seen many fantastic places and recognized some of them in your photos. This year we drove 3900 miles (San Francisco to Portland, Yellowstone, SF). What a country ! I'll read all your posts. Thank you for sharing !

3. Wade

Wade Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Excellent thread. Thanks for sharing your adventure!

4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I just calculated that my average motel stay during the 6 nights on Route 66 was just short of $80. 5 of the 6 were "traditional" independent motels that were the usual lodgings before the advent of chains in the '50s. The one that wasn't was a Holiday Inn Express, and it was the most expensive at $100.

For the entire trip, which included getting to and from Route 66, the average for all 14 nights was $83.50. I actually stayed in some chains that I hadn't stayed at in years: Howard Johnson, Super 8, Motel 6 and Rodeway Inn. I would say that all the lodgings that I stayed in were comfortable, well run and fairly priced. (Now, if only Wyndham would sell the HoJo food recipes to an active restaurant chain. I miss the Tendersweet fried clams!)

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Awesome trip, awesome thread, thanks for sharing.

(I can't believe the mules/donkey's weren't standing all over the place (and pooping all over the place) in Oatman. There were swarms of them each time I was there, one had to maneuver around them to drive and park. )

While I haven't done much of Route 66, I cannot imagine there is a piece better than the Kingman to Oatman stretch.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It's certainly the most exciting. Those hairpin turns going over the pass certainly demand your attention. And Oatman is so unique - take away the cars and suddenly it's 1880!

arizonaitalian likes this.
  7. Face76

Face76 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I remember going into the Sinclair station as a kid and putting a quarter into the dinosaur machine and getting a hot plastic dino to keep. Have never seen one of those machines for sale.

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I found this delightful video on New Mexico's website. While it's specifically about the iconic Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, the conversations with the innkeeper and one of the guests point out why Route 66 is such a special road. They're right: the people you meet along the way are part of the enjoyment. I particularly enjoyed speaking with the foreign nationals I encountered. As I said at the beginning of all of this: Route 66 is a trip that everyone should take at least once in their lifetime.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If you want to see what Route 66 was like in its heyday, these books from Arcadia Publishing are a good place to start. They show dozens of images of motels, eateries, gas stations and attractions, some of which still exist, some which don't. Each book covers its state from east to west, and in urban areas the captions include addresses, so you can plug those addresses into Google Maps and see what's there now.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login