My Smog woes | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My Smog woes

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ferraridriver, Jan 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stevepaa

stevepaa Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 5, 2006
    san jose, ca
    Full Name:
    steve
    #51 stevepaa, Feb 16, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    Tongue in cheek humor from Brian!
    Dave is his own shop foreman in his garage.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm spoiled by how fast I can MIG and how dirty the metals can be. I have TIG too but don't use it as much because it just takes me longer to set-up and use. I used to oxy/acet or aet/air silver or brass braze for custom road bikes. I'm too out of shape to ride bikes anymore and the idiots texting on the road are more dangerous than racing at 160mph at Daytona.

Have fun the report should be done tomorrow and relay in the mail by next weekend. Enjoy the warmth. It's a real treat from NoCal 45F winters.

3. Eaven marcum

Eaven marcum Rookie

Feb 16, 2019
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Eaven Marcum
    Hey everyone. New here. Joined specifically trying to tackle this air pump monitor issue. I have a 2000 456m gta. Failed for secondary air not ready. Countless drive cycles, phone calls to many dealerships. It appears Ferrari didn’t really build in this monitor to actually complete. It’s only came to light now that California wants everything but evap to be “ready”

I see only 2 options to get it through. Either find someone that can “pass” it, or find someone that flashes and programs the 5.2’s and modifies the air monitor to say ready.

The 5.2 is in many different cars. BMW Audi and I believe Porsche. There has to be someone that can hack these ecu’s and get that monitor to say ready.

I’ve built many LS engines and it’s very common place to just set all monitors to “ready”

Any ideas on a motronic tuner? I’ve reached out to Jim Conforti with no reply.

paulchua likes this.
  4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How do you reset monitors on LS motors like in a corvette...HP tuners or??

5. Eaven marcum

Eaven marcum Rookie

Feb 16, 2019
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Eaven Marcum
    Yes, HP tuners or EFI live will do it.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Dave, could not find your phone number. I just went through same with our Mercedes AMG E55. 3 Bosch branded downstream O2 sensors, countless hours of diagnosis time and a brand new fuse/relay board later its fixed. I bought a Bosch sensor at the dealer instead of an outside source.
    Many of us had long suspected Bosch has had either multiple component quality levels with same numbers in supply chain or pieces that may not pass QA with flying colors are being diverted to non OE sources. Used to think it was nonsense but seen too much of this in recent years to dismiss it anymore. Bosch really has become that type of company.

I hate posting here. Call and give me your number when you have a chance.

7. pfl

pfl Karting

Jan 7, 2013
    Same issue here with a 458 and no matter what the Secondary Air Injection test does not complete. Anyone have any other ideas?

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Having worked on this for years now I have developed many novel solutions for a significant spread of Ferrari models including 360s, 575s, F430s, 599s and 612s. These work across all firmware versions and part numbers. These solutions provide valuable advanced highly detailed lower level tracking of secondary air diagnostics and more (significantly more detailed than any factory tool given to technicians) as well as data logging and real-time analysis / control plus showing exactly what's going on and why. This saves a lot of time and money tracking these kind of faults in order to fix them cost effectively.

I have developed many other solutions as well as fixing immobilizer issues including virginizing, cloning to spare ECUs and even extended timeouts or deletions entirely. Everything to upgrading software to the final versions (which can also fix many secondary air and emissions issues - this isn't just cross flashing but automated altering firmware to be compatible with your assy number and engine configuration which often have subtle but important differences across model years) to optimized driver options like exhaust valve opening personalization and differentiated sport and normal modes.

I can basically do full bespoke personalizations including recalibration for different setups such as high flow cats and freer flowing exhaust/intake upgrades like larger air flow meters or throttle bodies. All calibrated exactly like Bosch would have done at the factory. No corners cut. I've written bespoke software to manage the entire process.

I'm currently working on extended support for the later cars such as 458, FF, 812, Cali, etc.

I am yet to invest the time necessary to fix issues with the pre 1999 cars based on ME5.2 or earlier as I've not had sufficient demand expressed.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Your post makes me sweaty in a positive way.
    #IfeelInappropriate. ;-)

Chatting with a few of the 575 guys you have helped has had me all wound up with excitement.

10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Is this a solution to the (one of) the secondary air monitors not resetting or additional diagnostic capability ? I passed CARB but just had my 456M battery unplugged at the shop so I am back to paying attention !

Are you based in California and/or is this pull out a computer and send it ?

11. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Both.

I don't yet have any time scheduled to do earlier models so it's not a "thing" today (yet!) but if there is sufficient demand for cars like the 456, 550 and F355, etc. I could have my arm twisted to take a look sooner! If it's a common issue impacting multiple owners then it makes a lot more sense.

To be fair it's on my list of things I'd like to do just not my highest priority today.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

12. DrDweeb

DrDweeb Karting

Nov 30, 2013
    Trev,

I just bought an April 2003 GTA, so almost the last of the breed. It was not able to past California smog despite the best efforts of those involved. It is not a massive issue for me as the car isn't staying in California, but it is one more data point for you wrt the 456.

I am sort of interested in what you can do ... but hopefully my bog standard car isn't going to just "stop running" any time soon.

13. santoph

santoph Rookie

Jun 22, 2021
    Hi,
    Wondering if you ever resolved this? thanks

14. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    one issue that comes up repeatedly on 355 cars is the CEL related to the bypass valve.
    I have the box that Goth designed and sold prior to his disappearance. The box works to make the system happy, but the community could definitely use a solution to this.
    If the cats are removed or the bypass valve is replaced with the Capristo version the CEL occurs. Extenders work for the cat Codes and CEL, but the bypass valve code & CEL is the issue that seems to not go away without the Goth Box which is no longer available.

15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    The 355 is such an awesome car. It would be really great to see how you could improve it.

16. smwalker

smwalker Rookie

Apr 9, 2023
    Full Name:
    Steve Walker
    Recently came across his video of a teaching class for instructors that teach smog technicians in CA and a Maserati Case came up. Shows in over 2000 start up the AIR monitor never ran. Interesting story and outcome that is Italian Centric so though it might work for ferraris as well. Post your success or failure with the method.