My Story - 46567 | Page 10 | FerrariChat

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Outstanding Otto...best of luck to you !...I will be at Cavallino...hope to see your car AND YOU there,Stuart

2. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Thanks for the feedback on the driving experience. With the exception of the gearing it sounds like a great machine, but those are some serious revs for the MPH. The easiest solution would be a taller (lower numerical) final drive ratio, but I'm guessing your car was already fitted with the tallest available if different ratios were even available. Hopefully there is a way to address that situation with transmission ratios in order to provide for more relaxed cruising.

Again, huge kudos to you and Michel for the dedication needed to put that great car back on the road. Here's wishing you many years of enjoyment! But please don't stop updating the thread. It has been great fun to see how you guys dealt with each new problem. I'm in awe of Michel's many skills.

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Congrats Otto- this has been a most entertaining and enlightening thread. How about posting a photo of you with Michel in front of the car? You two deserve a selfie for all the hard work.

4. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #229 OttoB, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am overwhelmed with happiness from this forum's reactions to the final results achieved on my car, as 46567 has to be one of the more controversial 400i's out there because of the hybrid under the hood, as well as all the effort to make it look and drive the way it does today. I never expected you guys to let me know what you think of it in such a positive + cool + nice way and I cannot thank you all enough for such thoughtful and positive comments!

I never started this thread for any other reason than to reciprocate the effort undertaken by Michel in documenting everything he did over this period of time. He has been the one taking and sending all of these pictures while explaining to me the progress (or lack thereof) of the project. I mean, what else was I going to do with all of these photos?

The pics below show me posing in front of his next project - a Batmobile that needs everything done to it in order for a gentleman to use it for charity and hopefully have sick kids meet "The Batman" and take a ride in it while him being dressed up as the superhero. The second pic is me happily driving the car away from his place - notice the Palm Beach green pants with polkadot shoes (hard not to) but its normal for many of us folks over here!

Most of the time that I have ever met with Michel over the years, he was never "camera ready" ;) and covered in stuff from head to toe - a good sign he was busy working. And, I am ashamed to say that I don't have a single picture of us together. So, I dug up one that hadn't been shown here before (he makes his appearance 2.5 times in this thread, now 3.5) when he worked on my previous Porsche project - also pictured below. Here's a link to the online article on that car which was pretty cool and a lifelong dream of mine to have had one of my cars featured in a magazine (Excellence, April 2016):

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issues/235/articles/chimera?page=1#.WAUR2jKZO19
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #230 OttoB, Dec 22, 2016
    After driving the car these past couple of months, I can say it runs well and looks even better! But, I cannot help cringing when driving it regularly, I inevitably have to park it somewhere and become so very reluctant at that because most people in general, could give 2 f*cks about what they are parked next to...

In one of my other cars this past month, I experienced a hit-and-run where luckily, a patron eating nearby came out of the restaurant to write down the license plate of the ignorant driver who proceeded to leave the premises, but the witness nonetheless located the owner of the stricken car (me) with the license plate number.

I obtained an incident report that day and 3 weeks later (after no less than 10+ calls), the police finally confronted the errant driver who denied everything, of course - this happened in Miami. I was able to obtain the surveillance video which, fortunately for me, captures the driver not only looking at her mirror upon impacting my car after it sustained a violent shake, but then turning all the way around looking backwards a second time before putting her car in gear to take off. A pathetic attempt at pulling out of her parking spot cannot even mildly describe it. Thank God for the witness and the video - that car will be okay and after 3-4 lies from these heinous people and more time passing/wasting, I did end up getting a cashier's check based on the estimates I obtained.

I almost took the 400i to that event - very close to doing so, and its just really upsetting as hit-and-runs occur 100's of times daily. There is no cure for ignorant, poor drivers!

On another happier note, here are more pics of the car on a very early morning the other day...

6. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Great job! Enjoy the drive.

7. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Those new pics are great. Thanks. The car looks fantastic.

Agree that it's too risky to drive a car you love daily anymore. Too many careless drivers, or perhaps I should say character-less drivers. Better to find other ways to enjoy the car and let each time you drive it be a special occasion.

Happy Holidays!

8. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    The car looks fantastic! Enjoy it.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

9. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    I am so very humbled by the continuous compliments from you guys as to my less than perfect car... Hoping all of you have a very Merry Christmas full of happiness and cheer! If any of you get a surprise gift from Santa for your car, by all means let the rest of us know!

10. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    That very old-school 911 shape, with the almost-cartoonishly bulbous flares and tails, STILL strikes a serious chord with me. Something about childhood dreams.....

11. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I know I remember reading what size the wheels and tires are but I don't remember. Could you tell us about them again?

12. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Per the request above, here is the post addressing how the wheels on 46567 came about on page 2, thread no. 21. Somehow, the pics + diagram are shown there but not now, despite the same post being quoted.

13. Tassie

Tassie Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2009
    Tasmania, Australia
    Full Name:
    Wayne Clark
    Otto,
    With your gearing problem did you investigate swapping the TH400 with a 6L80/6L90 transmission? The last two gears are overdrive. A shortening of the torque tube will be required I think but other than that should be OK.

14. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hello, Wayne!

Is it a New Year's Day already in your corner of the world? If it is, then Cheers, mate!

Just now, I performed a search in this forum on recent 400's for sale because I distinctly remember reading an ad stating that the gearing ratios had been swapped on that particular vehicle. To be completely sincere, it was the first time I personally had "heard" of anyone tampering with these Turbo Hydramatic transmissions on our model series cars - alas, I could not locate such post.

At the time, my gut instinct was to have inquired about what exactly had been modified but I believe I didn't follow up as the seller was simply stating previous history as a dealer vs. having undertaken the change themself.

Currently, I have run out of money on 46567's budget given that I am also still restoring an '85 Maserati Quattroporte for 2 years plus which I have never driven, as well as a BMW Alpina B9 3.5 that I acquired in August. That one too has been in the shop since then and never driven it either.

When 46567's engine came out and I had the long block replaced, I had the tranny reconditioned as well and, at the time, did inquire about modifying to perhaps add a 4th gear but was politely discouraged to do so since it necessitated further modifications to the rear end - something I was not entirely keen on. The car cruises all day at 80-85mph at around 4200 rpms - not ideal, but something I can live with until I recover from all these repair bills.

I would definitely be interested in a technical post that someone else author detailing the lower gearing they successfully installed - with a video to boot to back up the claims as many individuals claim things that they actually cannot back up. My car already has been heavily modified, so I am open to a transmission and rear end improvement; however, it will have to wait.

15. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That's an excellent idea. It would be a nice upgrade to the driveline and would still allow for power increases in the future (I know if I owned that car I'd want big power numbers because it's so bloody easy to do with that engine). He'd have to install the proper TCU but that would be a minor deal. Shortening the torque tube would be a bigger deal but those transmissions are not much longer, are they? Maybe the engine could be moved forward a couple of inches? Certainly worth looking into because 500 hp in front of a robust six speed auto would make for one helluva ride! :)

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #241 OttoB, Apr 18, 2017
    Hello, everyone... I hadn't yet updated this thread all year but I am happy to report that 46567 continues to look+drive as good as I ever could have hoped for! Below are pics from this -

The Palm Event

The car, due to its rarity and hopefully appealing character, was invited to this year's event. For me, it was as good as an excuse as any other to show and drive the car. Although there was quite a selection of other interesting participants, I am not really into newer/newish cars, hence the limited photos. It was cool just to be there and hope you guys like the pics.

bernardo66 likes this.
  17. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Ripper pics Otto,thanx.

18. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    This is amazing..
    How did Michel restore the shifter indictor cover?

19. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #244 OttoB, Jun 29, 2017
    Per the description that was quoted above, Michel did not take pictures of the tedious process although I did manage to speak with him about this earlier this week. Essentially, he went online to obtain like a word processing program that has various styles of fonts/sizes and apparently found the same exact one as used in our cars. He was able to print the letters and numbers onto vinyl, attach them to the shift indicator/cover that had been cleared of the old/peeling numbers, and then he painted it black. Michel then painted the border with a silver paint, removed the vinyl numbers once the paint dried, and per Edd Chyna's catchphrase -

REE - SULT!

The last pic is of my little one already trying to take it for a joy ride some time back at a show... If I can help it, the car will go to him but only if for some reason, I am unable to drive in 40+ years from now! Hopefully by then, he will have worked hard and saved up enough to buy his own dream/collector car instead of waiting around for mine!

20. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Hello... Just wanted to provide a couple of pics of the car as it had been a while. Being that my son's school is approximately 2 miles away and that with traffic, it takes less than 10 minutes to get there, I can genuinely say that I drive 46567 no less than 4 times a week! No hiccups and thankfully, no worries.

These pics were taken at the valet/lobby of a hotel while I was attending a recent wedding. Notice the size comparison with a modern Crossover/SUV compared to the car - although I don't think that in real life, its a 'big' car. Hope everyone is getting to exercise theirs often and can enjoy them as much as I am! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Al Campbell and Ak Jim like this.
  21. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Curious about the wheels/rims ... the fact that you had to add fairly thick spacers tells me you could have gone with wider wheels, with the correct offset/backspace of course. Do you think these cars would take a 12" wide rear wheel?

NYC Fred likes this.
  22. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Not a chance - mine has 17x8.5 and rubs the inner guard at the front where there is a chassis section bulge, and just squeaks in under the outer guard. I think running 245 P-Zeros - forget the section, maybe 45?

23. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    Talking about the rears Doc? 245mm is about 9.5" tyre so a 10" rim?

24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Yes, the rears, but running 17x8.5" all around. The tyres are 245/50 P-Zeros.

25. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Trust me - the width/design of the wheels on my car, in my estimation, came better than expected with what I deem is a rather decent, deep (a-lá F40) dish with a sporting and hopefully tasteful in-period character... These are pics from the rear wheel and yes, they are dirty because the car does see regular use! The sizes of the tires compliments the car without making it too modern or gauche. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

I would not go for a wider, taller, or bigger diameter wheel/tire combo, so as to not have to risk rubbing. Although, recall that 46567 does have a fully adjustable coilover suspension with 6 shocks throughout, which does help setting up the suspension up.

Hope everyone has a safe and happy, long holiday weekend!