My Story - 46567 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My Story - 46567

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by OttoB, Mar 22, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    The source for the ignition switch is International Auto Parts, part no. 31002 for $146.50 and here's the link:

Alfa Romeo and Fiat Ignition Switches

As to Michel's resourcefulness to rely on this from them, priceless! We have bought over a dozen parts from various suppliers to replace tired and expensive OEM stuff - perhaps the subject for another thread. Although truthfully, since I started with a interesting canvas(?), originality was not, nor will it ever be in the plans for 46567!

I can ask him about the grommets, which we also used in the ceiling map lights and look fantastic, soon to be posted as well - just let me know.

As a heads up, the keys that come with the ignition piece above have the Alfa Quadrifoglio emblems on them, so I actually don't use them and opted for new Cavallino blanks off eBay instead to be matched to the ones that came with the new lock.

PS - I stand corrected, the replacement off eBay for an OEM ignition for a 400i is 95% + more expensive than the one off International Auto - with a rather optimistic price of only $2,250 - but don't take my word for it:

New Original Ferrari 308 328 400i 412 F40 F50 BB Factory Ignition Switch Keys | eBay

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Look to the 308GTB parts diagram, it shows the rubber bezel surrounding the ignition switch.

Good work on the alternate source!

If you need the whole locking rod assembly, they are long gone thru conventional parts sources. Last one I saw for my car was over $2K.

I take mine out, and have a Safe Company work the lock cylinder and pins.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Gauges look great!

I recently ran into this problem but had a simple solution which worked well, for others that may want to try this... I used Meguiars PlastiX headlight refinishing polish - it made the gauges look like new, removing micro scratches from 30 years of cleaning / rubbing.

YMMV, best of luck!

Ruben

4. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I ordered the switch. Please post a source for a skilled mechanic😄

5. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #130 OttoB, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    So,

We've gotten to the point where the little odd and ends have started to become the focus, in order to knock off the hundreds of items in the to-do list... Details, details, and more details. In an effort to spare everyone here all the grief of what I know is sacrilege - which is to profile an alternate engine to the V-12 from Maranello on this model of Ferrari - I am deliberately neglecting to discuss and/or show repairs undertaken to the engine bay as I want all enthusiasts and owners to know that: A) I care about the situation with my car's reputation; and B) keep such mundane details off this website, since it doesn't really belong in it, unless its a Maranello V-8, which it isn't! Down the road, I may post a pic or something, but I will not discuss engine work, which was substantial just like everything else! Don't confuse this reluctance with my great enthusiasm for owning this car, though!

7. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #132 OttoB, Aug 15, 2015
    In this post, you will see our conundrum with the center roof console... Years of neglect had affected it (just like every inch within 4657), given the shrinkage of the material, and the warping. So, Michel made the necessary measurements in order to determine how the console was supposed to be as it needed stiffening and support. He cut pieces of aluminum and made brackets in both ends, held by pop rivets (which were eventually sanded off), as well as some pieces in the middle portion of the console - these going on the "inside" portion. As to the outer portion of the console, Michel grabbed some more aluminum and made a sheath to cover the entire length of the console, hence assuring laser straightness and indestructible longevity going forward.

Then, some foam was obtained, additional grommets were machined to house the power buttons for the map lights, the new rectangular lights I purchased were installed, and everything was wrapped to make it look as good as we could make it. The fact that the original buttons have some patina is okay with me, as I'm looking to have some parts look original still, versus 90%+ of the rest of the Ferrari looking (or being) brand new!

I know what many of you are thinking right now... Yes, I felt suede was a good, nice material for my headliner and sun visors - I could have chosen anything, but wanted something to contrast with the beige in the seats and door panels, while complimenting the black carpeting as well as the dash and rear deck...

By the way, I don't feel as if I have to apologize for everything done on 46567, but this car was not built to be resold, nor under the perception of added value, or to appease someone/everyone else. If you have read through this thread and not realized that already, then its just a reminder. I do though, however, believe that there will be some of you who will like how it looks on mine (but wouldn't dare do it on yours) and I'm perfectly fine with that!

Pics!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
    as a car lover would still be happy to hear about the engine work : ) thanks for your interesting posts : )

9. daviday

daviday Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Davide
    Hell of a project and looking good. Thanks for posting man!

10. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #135 OttoB, Sep 1, 2015
    I believe these pictures will be admired by many of you... This is nothing like I think anyone has seen before, and you get to have a bird's eye view of how it all come about from the mind of the genius, the absolute talented genius that Michel is.

So, the rear speaker grills were warped beyond any use, and as all of you know, not only are these located in the rear parcel shelf which are very noticeable as well as conspicuous, but so are the ones on the door panels. These fine vehicles exuding some dignified amounts of refinement, I was not going to purchase any aftermarket speaker grills with someone's logo to adorn 46567. So Michel asked me, "Do you trust me? I will make the speakers out of trash cans from Target! (insert French accent in your mind somewhere)"!!! Of course I trusted him, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined the finished product to come out looking quite as good as they did.

The pictures, as usual, tell the story. What was planned was to do 4 of them - 2 on the front doors and 2 in the rear shelf, as well as 2 back-to-back ones for the return air in the rear shelf. We wanted everything to be symmetrical, and believe we achieved this quite successfully.

Michel got the measurements down to a science by reducing everything to writing. He used what came from the factory as a template and we determined it was going to be doable. He once again used that material Plaskolite in order to serve as the new, replacement parcel shelf because its sturdy and will never corrode nor warp. Outlines were made as to the cutouts for the grills and he fashioned from raw aluminum - they rather plain looking, but in my opinion, very elegant surrounds to the grills. He soldered screw ends to each corner, which would help them fasten to the front door panels as well as the rear parcel shelf. He then purchased a few $10.00 metal trash cans from Target which would serve as the actual metal paneling for the grills!

Then, he cut several "rails" to form the mold for the actual bends of the metal. That is to say, having a male as well as a female mold(s) that when crossed, would result in a ridged metal finish of the metal grill that would be more durable, more distinguished/eye catching, and very classy.

11. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #136 OttoB, Sep 1, 2015
  12. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Thank you again. An amazing man working for you

13. Arvid

Arvid Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    Arvid Andersson
    Amazing craftmanship. Can't wait to see the finished result :)

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Utterly Fantastic!

Cheers,

Sam

15. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #140 OttoB, Sep 17, 2015
    At last, we get to begin attempting to put all the parts back into 46567 in order to make it all Humpty Dumpty again, or if not, then better than new. We had outsourced the interior work, but the time it took to restore the car, Michel basically had to redo, re-stretch, re- everything in order to have the interior look as good as everything else. From the preceding pictures, all of you can tell that Michel had already installed the rear shelf, so the following pics show how the rear seat as well as the side panels were installed and how they began looking the proper part(s)... I bought from new OEM relatively inexpensive A/C vents to replace the warped ones, and the finished product showcases my new and clean rear seatbelts (from a junkyard) that look better than new for my taste since it lacks the clumsy extra belts!

We also laid down the brand new black carpeting from a vendor off eBay in Europe that did a crappy job in sending the supposedly OEM replacement set. I have already posted in this forum about these a**holes who simply ignored my requestsss to have the missing carpeting sent and therefore, I had to source and custom make certain pieces to complete the interior floor carpeting.

And to think that several months before, there used to be a huge rat/mouse nest underneath the rear seat - you look at these pics and they're definitely envy worthy, yes?

For the trained eye - guess what is missing? That fugly camel hump of an armrest that clumps the rear seat area and now on mine, the rear passengers have more seat and leg room, as they are no longer limited to confining themselves to a smaller cubicle-type area. For those that do not (nor can/or plan to) use the rear seat, if you are brave enough to shave down the armrest like I did, you can now lay down your dryclean flat across the seat, put a soft weekend bag, or perhaps 3 skinny gals - although, one of them will not be seatbelted. However, it shouldn't cross your mind if you already tackled the bigger and more challenging issue of having 3 gals in the rear seat of your classic Ferrari!!!

16. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #141 OttoB, Sep 17, 2015
    So, you got a little preview there as to the fancy ashtray for the rear seat occupants... Well, they didn't always look that way. Michel, being the McGuyver manic magician, turned a frown upside down and gave them a little nugget of his love. It all started out by sanding down the rust from the inner portion of the metal to smooth out the crap built in and crusted over 30 years+ in them. He then laid down a couple of coats of bright silver and repeated the same steps for the black exterior covers on each using satin black - the same color used on the speaker grills, which is IMO, an elegant looking finish. I cannot stress enough how well they came out - as good if not better in person as they do in the pics. Of course, the actual matching set of cigarette lighters also came courtesy of the local junkyard and I think he may have paid $5 for the pair. Your thoughts?

17. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #142 OttoB, Oct 11, 2015
    In order to re-install the center console, all electricals needed to be in good order. Having installed what I consider a rather custom and acoustically pleasing sound system, Michel rigged the stereo's antenna to go up if and when it was turned on. Therefore, we eliminated the need to have a switch specifically for making the antenna go up. As to the other switch immediately across it right below where the window switches are, I forgot what it was supposed to be for, but we too eliminated the need for it, hence me buying dummy switches from a well-known eBay Ferrari supplier for a very reasonable amount.

As a side note, I compiled up a list of parts when I first purchased 46567 since cosmetically, some of them were too far gone. Among them, were the A/C knob control switches... I specifically recall a conversation with a well known parts supplier in attempting to discern what was then approximately a $100 (!!!!!!!!!) price difference among a/c switches. Apparently, the knob that controls the fan speed has a smaller looking snow flake image compared to the same sized knob that controls the a/c temperature which also has a snow flake on it. Suffice it to say that I ended up buying 4 of the same ones at $20 a piece versus what I think was easily over $100+ for a single of the other type of knob. So, you will see those installed below.

When Michel got lemons during the long restoration of this Ferrari, he made lemonade. See below pics of how he fixed the lower portions of all 4 vent controls by making hand-made aluminum extensions to replace the poorly designed and brittle plastic ends.

18. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #143 OttoB, Oct 11, 2015
    Another area needing repair was... I believe there were issues with the shifter and the light illuminating what gear was selected. This was remedied and Michel machined parts in order to ensure they never break nor go bad again.

By this junction, we finally installed the center console (since these pics having been taken, I received the correct screws that fasten the 3 bezel surround). From a previous post, you will recall that the Mondial spec triple A/C vent was modified to fit 46567 as you will not find them for sale on these cars easily - everything else is coming along together in the interior nicely. There are no pics, sadly, of how Michel ordered new black vinyl and hand carved the numbers and letters in the shift plate, in order to replace the worn original one, nor of how he repainted the silver on the border so as to make it look like new. Needless to say, I was very satisfied with the result.

19. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    #144 OttoB, Oct 11, 2015
    Once these pieces were put back, it allowed for the rest of the carpeting to also be installed. Take note of the protruding piece of the new A/C compressor sticking out of the passenger side console underneath the glove box. Initially covering it with the matching black vinyl as in the dash, we re-did it in the black carpeting material so as to make it appear less conspicuous.

Michel polished everything, and the side sills that hold the carpets to the door edge were no exception... With the carpeting done, seats go in!!!

20. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    Very nice. The black ashtray is a good match for the later cars. I want to remove the lighter in mine and have a usb outlet so I can charge my phone and hide the cord when not in use.

21. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    Do what I did and wire a trailing lead igarette lighter socket/12v outlet into the glove box. Easy to do, no mods to the car, invisible and totally reversible. When powering anything the glove box door still closes so it's perfect.

22. raf456

raf456 Karting

Jan 27, 2013
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert Freiburghouse
    I especially liked the part where you purchased the car before telling your wife. I am longing for a 412 but already have more cars than garage space. 400s and 412 are fantasic cars but I strongly favor the 5sp having owned both in the distant past. Good luck and thanks for posting.
    Bob

23. rustytractor

rustytractor Formula 3

Mar 25, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Russell Schacter
    I bought the cars then divorced the wife.

A much more elegant solution because I still have the cars. And both testicles !

24. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    #149 bjwhite, Oct 13, 2015
  25. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Why yes, I am also divorced and very much like you as well, Russ, I have the cars AND my testicular fortitude intact :)

350HPMondial likes this.