My thoughts on "ricers" | Page 6 | FerrariChat

My thoughts on "ricers"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Seth, Apr 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Not you... the other ryan (Sherpa) we alway listen to him.... :) ;) :)

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    You are wrong! With terrorist that want to kill us all, we ALL gotta stick together!

3. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Yup stereotyped like that everyday, but I myself to perpetuate the stereotype since I do have 2 hondas ;)

4. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I know. Great guy and has great knowledge.

5. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Agreed with Peter, at the end of they day we are all Americans.

6. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

LOL

7. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So we've got 3 confirmed Asians that have no problem with the term ricer, yet NNO (non-Asian) is offended. PLEASE

BTW, Jewish is not a nationality, it's a religion.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

I don't think you have to be a certain race or sex to be offended. I know NNO/Carbon gets offended at guys talking degradingly towards women, yet he is not a woman.

I personally could care less what people say. If some calls me any names, doesn't matter, heard it all my life, nothing new. I don't let that stuff bother me.

All this political correctness has gotten out of hand. People need to stop being offended and start going out their and living thier lives.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

The question here is, is being Jewish a nationality, race, or religion, or some combination. There are all kinds of opinions on this, here are a couple.

Theodor Herzl, the founder of the modern Zionist movement, stressed in his book Der Judenstaat ("The Jewish State"), published in 1896, that Jews around the world constitute a Volk, that is, a people or nationality, with interests different than those of the non-Jews among whom they live. Accordingly, Israeli political figures and Jewish community leaders in the United States routinely speak of "the Jewish people."

In the 1980s, the United States Supreme Court ruled that Jews are a race, at least for purposes of certain anti-discrimination laws. Their reasoning: at the time these laws were passed, people routinely spoke of the "Jewish race" or the "Italian race" as well as the "Negro race," so that is what the legislators intended to protect. Although this distinction offended many Jews at the time, ringing of WWII Nazi Germany. Where Hitler wanted to exterminate the Jewish Race.

Race is a genetic distinction, and refers to people with shared ancestry and shared genetic traits. You can't change your race; it's in your DNA. I could never become black or Asian no matter how much I might want to.

Common ancestry is not required to be a Jew. Many Jews worldwide share common ancestry, as shown by genetic research; however, you can be a Jew without sharing this common ancestry, for example, by converting. Thus, although I could never become black or Asian, blacks and Asians have become Jews (Sammy Davis Jr. and Connie Chung).

So to some, it's a race, some a nationality, and some a religion. You can be Jewish without believing in God because of your ancestry. Or you can convert.

I'm sure there are several better informed scholars on this board who can fill in some additional details about what it is to be a Jew. I am of Jewish ancestry but am not a practicing Jew, having been raised in the Episcopal Church.

10. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    RISOTTO!

11. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Wow. I have no idea if you pulled that out of your ass or not, but I am pretty impressed. Lots of people here can talk F1 all day long, but knowing the back story behind import racing is pretty rare. They say you learn something new every day...well, that was mine for the day. I had been hoping to learn about a large inheritance, but this will do just as well.

-ag

12. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Not sure if you are joking or not..but..

I have not written anything on this board without having experienced it first or read it first hand.

If you are talking about the import racing, I was in the thick of most of it, and then have talked to Frank Choi (considered Father of import racing extensively to learn the rest back in the 70s and 80s). Also the center of the scene (LACR) is in my backyard.

13. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    No, I'm not joking. I was more saying that I know absolutely nothing about that whole scene and you could have easily made it all up and I would have been impressed. I don't in any way, think you were being dishonest. I was just suprised to see someone here who knew(and was willing to tell everyone here that they knew) that much about the origins of the whole import racing thing.

-ag

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Gotcha Andrew. Sometimes it is difficult to read and understand what one is saying online. Yeah I knew, and I wanted to give the honest history before people made their judgements. I am not ashamed at knowing or even saying I was a part of it. I would rather be honest here, and have people know me for me, than lie like some members often do.

:)

15. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    Well, even though imports aren't really my cup of tea, your cool in my book for being willing to offer up what you know despite knowing that there was potential for people here to rip on you a little bit. Thanks for informing...

-ag

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

To me knowledge is knowledge. Whether it is about ricers or not, it doesn't matter. Hey you learned something didn't ya? THere you go, mission accomplised. My goal is that if people rip on ricers, that is perfectly fine, as long as they know the history and rip, I have no problem with it. LIke I say, whatever floats your boat man. :)

Yeah I don't mind what people think of me. I rather be honest and not have friends and have people not like me, then lie about how I have a F car, or I have a cigar business or whatever else people lie about.

Thanks for the kind words once again.

17. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thats so true. Why lie to look rich? I dont care if you have a Ferrari or a Chevy or a Lambo. Just not a Ford.

18. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Surprise Rob hasn't banned you after all the BS you pulled.

19. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Make that 4 Asians, I am half Japanese. Ricer cars are what they are.