My unsolicted, biased, and subjective account of driving exotics, including F-cars | Page 3 | FerrariChat

My unsolicted, biased, and subjective account of driving exotics, including F-cars

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Aradune, Jul 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    what is that little coil in the left vent of the NNO?

2. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    it's a cooling coil for the steering rack.

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ok thanks

4. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Aradune,

Thanks for posting. I for one enjoy the reviews, I may never get to drive some of these cars and it's always fun to read someone's impression.

5. 6.0 se

6.0 se F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 26, 2004
    Atlanta,ga. area
    Full Name:
    A.J.
    Nice pics Aradune. Im mostly just kidding about this. I enjoyed most of your recaps.

6. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    What a great thread. There should be more people on this site writing their experiences with all the exotics they have driven. I truely believe that many on this forum are knowledgeable about exotics than those writing for major magazines. AJ- I can't wait to read your report on your experiences. WOW!!

7. luckydynes

luckydynes F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    CA and OR
    Full Name:
    pit bull
    What a great thread.

It sounds like a 360 is a good bet if one can step up.

What are 360's and 355's like when they're being tracked? Any catastrophic engine or gearbox issues?

Thanks,

Sean

8. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    What target? He offered his opinion and wanted to have a discourse, not be attacked.

Anyway Aradune, great thread, one of the best I've read since I became a member. Being only 18 I love to hear hands on experiences with exotics, as the most "exotic" car I've had the priveledge of driving is a 97 corvette, and my own 93 Toyota Supra. I know what you were striving for when you posted (offer your insight on the cars you've been lucky enough to drive and hopefully fire up some good conversations/debate about the cars and what you wrote), and I'm sad to see that it turned into attacks and foaming at the mouth rather than a real discussion.

If you have anything more to add there are many of us who are all ears, and not ready to jump on you for not liking their favorite car.

9. Aradune

Aradune Karting

Jul 11, 2004
    San Diego

10. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    Aradune-

Have you thought about a Lotus Esprit 350 or just the regular V8? I wonder how you'd rate it compared to the rest. It would be great if you could rent/borrow it for a quick test. I'm such a great fan of the car... I love my '03 NSX and belive it is truly an amazing all around car.

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Aradune, FYI the US-spec F40 had more horsepower than the euro-spec F40.

12. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

this is true!

actually had to make tweaks to conform!

frank...hows the bbi?

13. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    nice summary, i know these are subjective, but nice job ....iwould ignore any comments silver 99 makes.... either he is illiterate or he did not read the orginal post!!!

14. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Aradune

I thought your critique was both thoughtful and insightful. I don't agree with everything you said, but so what. These are the kinds of threads that will incite passion and controversy. I had the opportunity to spend some serious time behind the wheel of a McLaren F1 on numerous occasions and it is simply mind boggling. Following the F1 race in Montreal I had the opportunity to be a passenger in the ENZO. Both of these cars represent the pinnacle of high performance road cars.
    Silver 99, otherwise known as Mako on **************** is a mini version of Allan Lambo who was banned from this board. Recently Allan Lambo had his moderator status removed, because of his abusive style. They are passionate about Lambos and hateful towards Ferraris. They can be frequently be found comparing murcies and diablos to Enzos. LOL - Hope this gives you some perspective.
    We need more bold and provocative threads like yours. Nice job.

Bob

15. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    Somehow, i think id trust owners opinions more than the opinion of a person who rented a vehicle.

What wrong with comparing Murcealagos and Diablos to Enzos? They may not have the same performance, but cost a fraction of the price and look better in my opinion.

16. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Nothing wrong with the comparison, they are just worlds apart when it comes to performance. I happen to like the looks of the Enzo. Unless you've seen one on the road, you haven't really seen one. Once you've been in one at speed, whatever reservations you had about its looks fall by the wayside. There are a few negatives when your point of reference is a rental car. On the other hand, you don't have an emotional attachment clouding your judgement as you might otherwise have if the car belongs to you.

17. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    I think in the real world, when it comes to normal peoples perceptions, the Lamborghini will rank higher in terms of visual appeal. The price difference between the Lambo and Enzo does not justify the slightly higher level of performance.

18. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    No, in your world the "Lambo" (I'm not sure which one you're refering to) is nicer looking. Looks are very subjective. I like them both marques. As to the performance, it is not slightly better, it is in a completely different league.
    There was a pretty lively debate on **************** about this exact subject. Unfortunately it was deleted by Allan Lambo because he was unable to support his proclamations that his car/murcie is superior in performance to the Enzo. If you know anything about him, he hates to lose; therefore you will find no trace of the thread anywhere.
    I really don't want to recreate what's already been debated in length. Did you by chance follow the thread before it was erased? If so, nough said.

19. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    As a matter of fact, i followed that thread, and it had nothing to do with him saying that a Murcielago was quicker than an Enzo. What he said was, that a Murcielago, with very few mods, would be within a whisper of a Porsche CGT. The arguement that ensued was between him and another forum memeber as to just how much power the Murcielago would gain with certain enhancements. No one can deny that an Enzo is faster than a Murcielago. As for looks, i believe this site was involved in a recent poll, where the Murcielago took top honors over an Enzo as favorite exotic car.

I admit he (Alanlambo)comes off somewhat brutally most of the time, but i tend to agree with him, on most counts, accept when he insists his Ferrari is boring.

20. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    I prefer the looks of an Enzo to the Murci. I know the 90 some people surrounding the Ferrari at our local Exotic Italian Car Show did, there was always a huge crowd around the Enzo and the Murci didnt get a whole lot of attention, despite being a newer car.

Either way both are amazing cars, and I really dislike the whole Lambo vs. Ferrari thing when it leads to blind faith on either side and annoying argueing going nowhere.

21. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    At the show i saw both at, it was just the opposite.

And dont get me wrong, i love the Enzo. The chances of being able to afford one are very slim. The Murcielago on the other hand, is attainable.

22. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004

No you missed the thread. It was before the comparison of the Murcie to the CGT. Like I said it was erased as was another that illustrated the time it took to lap the Nurburgring. Many cars were compared including lamborghini. The lap time for his beloved diablo was rather pitiful, so it too was erased.

A modified Z06 can compete with a stock murcie and costs 1/3 the price. So what's your point? You read that thread too. And no, a slightly modified murcie will not compete with a CGT.

Speaking of polls why don't you poll people on which car they would prefer to own: an Enzo or a murcie?

23. benaustin

benaustin Karting
    BANNED

Jul 23, 2004
    It was a thread about Nurburgring lap times that involved the Enzo? Well, what did the Enzo lap? Thats what i thought. The CGT has already been reported to lap quicker than an Enzo on some tracks.

I think you are confusing your info . As for the DIablo posting a pitiful time, its certainly not up to par compared to newly designed supercars, but an old Diablo did turn an 8.09 on the slightly longer version of the track, which happens to be the identical time for a much newer 360 Modena on the slightly shorter track.

As for a modified Z06 versus a murci, one just lost a Diablo 6.0 if you look on ltalk.

24. bcmarly

bcmarly Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    1. The comparison is between the murcie/diablo and the Enzo. There is no comparison. Thankyou.
    2. I never said the Enzo was in the group of cars being compared. Reread my post. However, if you have a lap time for the Enzo then share it with the group. I'm certain the Enzo will beat either the murcie or diablo. If you are comparing the CGT to the Enzo, then that's a much better comparison. My point is that erasing threads when the results don't support your argument is very telling.
    3. who is benaustin on ltalk?
    4. You are on your own now.

Here's the original post of the diablo 6.0 vs the Z06 and obviously we read the results differently.

kurt (Limey)
    Username: Limey

Post Number: 89
    Posted on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 08:10 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tuesday night, a group of the guys met up @ a local Hooters establishment (Always a good time) & set about the negotiations of running:

The players:

2001 Lamborghini Diablo 6.0 Mods, (Rear cats bypass - rear muffler delete - K&N Filters, 93 Pump gas) Everything else bone stock.

2003 Z06 346" Motor, almost everything possible done to this car for a stock displacment, Heads & Cams, Exhausts tuning, the whole nine yards, puts down 560-570 CRANK HP, tyres prepped too. He was running F1 tyres.

We had decided to go from a 30 roll, have this all on tape too, so i will be uploading to this server in the next couple days.

There were two cars @ the finish line waiting to see who gets the nod, two cars behind us, one with the camera & one spectator.

We rolled up to 30 MPH & cruised to the start line, i could see the black marker just ahead & was in 1st gear, as soon as we reached that marker, it was on!

Hit that gas pedal and took off like a raped ape, so did the Z06, i thought my car was loud, but dammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnn that V8 sounded pretty good. I hooked superb & so did the damn Z06, he had done a good burnout prior to racing, so the tyres were nice & soft, and it certainly made a difference. Shifted into 2nd @ 60 MPH, we were dead nuts even, i held onto 2nd upto 7000 + RPM & then shifted into 3rd, stayed in it for the duration, when the video is uploaded, you'll see it was a dead even race, at least from the camera view, yet once we crossed the finish line, if anything, i would give the nod to the Z06, i think he had me by maybe the width of my bumper, but certainly no more than 1 foot, the guys at the finish line couldn't decide who won, even the Z06's cousin was @ the finish line & he wasn't 100% sure who got the nod, but me, i feel that the Z06 pipped me, barely :)

Round 2: Same race, this time we go on 3 honks, every time we left, it was a dead even hit, noone jumped out, this time though, the Diablo was the clear winner, i was able to hold him @ bay from the initail hit up to the top of 3rd, this was due to him having very slight wheel spin in 1st gear, these races were all that close, if he had any wheel spin, it was over.

3rd race: He wanted to go from 60 MPH, this put me @ 2nd gear, not ideal & it showed, he was able to get me by a car length that time.

4th race: We go from 1st again & ride well into 4th gear for me, i had this one covered, but once again, if it was by a cheeseburger i'll be surprised.

We ran again & again, for a total of 6 passes, once i missed 2nd gear & let out, once he missed a gear too, i let out.

All in all, a great night out with a bunch of car guys, everyone made it home safe & sound, cars never got hurt either, and a close race is the best kind.

The Z06 guy was rather surprised that i was able to get him out the hole, he was impressed with the low end grunt the Diablo had, i told him before racing that i wouldn't race him in any other Diablo, other than maybe a 99 sv, but that is subject due to the 2WD factor & wheel spin. I feel he was expecting to put a couple or so cars on me, me, i knew what a Z06 runs, i have a ZR-1 with a 415" stroker motor, so i know all the ropes :)

How allan was able to pull that Z06 by 10 cars or so, well, lets put this into perspective. Our 2 cars were of very similiar power, he had a weight advantage of at least 300 lbs over me & it was dead nuts even, alans car was maybe a 200 lb dissadvantage over the Z06 he ran, and the HP levels were very similiar, there is no $^*%^(^$_%_$ way that alan should have pulled that Z06 by 10 cars, it's that plane and simple. Either he was spraying that *****, or the Z06 was way down on power, i wasn't pulling on the Z06 i ran even when we hit 150 MPH, sure, if we kept on going, i would have done so because of my power band & rpm, the z06 would run out of steam, yet for 4 gears, it was so damn close.

I'll be uploading the video to this site by Saturday & to the Z06 guys that read this post, Job well done! Had a lot of fun!

Kurt.

25. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    theenzo can not be compaired to a murci.... the enzo is more rare and with exotic technology...very expensive...people dont mind.. the enzo is going flor over a million used, the murcis, 200 to 240 k used