Mystery ignition switch info | FerrariChat

Mystery ignition switch info

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Dave Bertrand, Sep 20, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    I think I may have a 365/400/412 ignition switch in my 328. I bought the car last year and the key that fits the ignition switch looks like this:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 328 key style is very different, and my research indicates the key I have may very well be for a 400 ignition switch. Now I'm wondering if my 328 switch was replaced by a previous owner with a 400/412 switch. I've been trying to troubleshoot why my "door open with key in ignition" warning buzzer doesn't operate in my car. In the 328, the switch that controls this function is a white plastic thing that screws into the bottom of the switch, as indicated in this picture:

However, my ignition switch doesn't look like that. Viewed from underneath the dash, it looks like this:

And, the wiring that would go to that switch is dangling under the dash with no home for it. So, obviously my switch doesn't have the provision for the door switch. Since my key appears to be a 400-style key, I think my ignition switch is not original to the car.

Question for you guys - does this look like a 365/400/412 ignition switch? If so, where is the switch that controls the warning for the door open/key inserted situation? Thanks in advance!

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Same switch. Fits a very long list of cars. Early version used as late as early 328 used single side key and later versions used double sided key.

We had a lot of switch failures and Ferrari never sold the electric switch, only the complete unit. Someone installed what was available.

3. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Dave,

According to the owner's Manual for the 365 GT4 2+2 and the 400 series, the key you have is for these cars. The 412 has a different key and more like that used on the 328 (e.g. folding style).

As for the key-in-ignition buzzer... I believe that the 365/400 do not have this feature, as I could not find a ignition key buzzer switch within the respective wiring diagrams. Consequently, you may be hooped with what you have... although perhaps you can add the switch bits (if you can find them) to your current switch assembly?

Cheers,

Sam

4. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks gents. At this point I'm giving up on this. Although I would like every aspect of my car to function as designed, I'm convinced now that the door buzzer isn't going to be one of them. No sense in wasting further time on it. I have more important issues to deal with, like getting the ABS system to work.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The thought came to search out a new used switch with the feature but like you, I 'd raher live without the buzzer.....

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    And at $2500 for a switch to make a buzzer work mine wouldn't work either.