Mystery P4 photos | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Mystery P4 photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by P4Replica, May 1, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    I think so, too, Jim ;) .... it's just too similar. I've emailed the car's owner for confirmation.

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    '#0854A' ? LOL ! :D

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yes I noticed that straight away ... replica!

Pete

4. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    As I said to Jim, Pete ...

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
  6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Pete - I've emailed you the 'high-res' versions of those first set of four so you can have a closer look.
    Remember what Jim wrote in post #19 ?
    Now, if the car in these first 4 photos IS the same one displayed at Monterey, it is now sat on another Piper 'continuation' chassis, rather than that 'body jig'. Now, assuming Randy Berry had, at some point, planned to go into production of P4 replicas (as Jim also stated), the jig might just make more sense ....
    Take a look at THIS chassis jig, Pete, and tell me that a certain Frenchman didn’t once have the same idea, too: http://www.carclassic.com/stock.asp?StockID=102543 Heavy ? You ain’t seen nothing yet ! LOL !

7. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #32 Sfumato, May 1, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Jack stands under front and rear as well. I highlighted them for you Paul. Funny such a sturdy jig would need jackstands LOL ;)
    Also, looks like lines running thru a x-member, also handily highlighted. Paul will tell us what cars had those, won't you?
    Also, if the pic was in '74, that looks to be either a 308 or Boxer on stands getting paint in the shop too. So, a prototype, perhaps, since 365 came out in 74, 308 in late 75. Shame it needed paint so soon. I think from looks of rear 1/4, it is 308, since BB's had shorter rear overhangs, longer nose and area in front of door.
    So, IMHO, the pic is later than 74-76. Maybe your sources are mistaken, Paul? :)
    FWIW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Lee,
    LOL!!!:D

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Paul
    Look at your third photo. There's a wheel attached. It's a crude chassis. The body may be from the same source, but it's not the car in the tent as it is today.

10. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Yes, you're right, of course, Jim, as were Pete and Lee. Must have spent too long looking at the photos, but not actually studying them, enough. In fact, if you look at the first photo, you can see tyres through the headlamp bowls and, in the second photo, the other rear tyre through the cut-out beneath the spoiler. Doh !

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Who there among us should cast the first stone?
    :)

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Stones hell. I'm coming in with a MAC 10!

Dr "Defender of all that is good, including Sfumato and Wayne de Dio"

13. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I think the first photo of the P4? in the shop was taken in the 80s. Note the small portable air compressor on the left hand side of the photo. These did not really come into vogue until the 80s (or really the 90s). You can now buy those at a zillion stores here in the US, but they were not around back in the 70s. Back in the 70s, I remember that we had a small portable compressor that was made out of a York style air conditioning compressor that was used on old Chrysler products. We had it bolted to a board and powered by a small electric motor connected to the compressor by a belt. That thing would pump an aluminum freon tank up to nearly 200 psi before it would bog down. Most auto shops had a REAL compressor that was 5 horse power or more.
    And Paul, speaking of Marauder cars, in all the years that I've casually read up on various kit cars, I don't think that I ever saw one photograph of a Marauder car actually under construction. Did ANYBODY ever actually build a Marauder kit to completion? With the nature of kit car companies in general, it always made me wonder if Marauder was "for real".
    Back to your photos, I see a lot of SQUARE tubing in those pictures. I thought that most of the original Ferrari P3/P4 frames utilized round tubing?

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    #39 Miltonian, May 2, 2005
  15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    #40 Sfumato, May 2, 2005
  16. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    P3 body ex-piper, all alloy, mentioned in history of the 365BB in adjacent thread...Hmmmm, Norwood got the body.

17. macca

macca Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2003
    #42 macca, May 3, 2005
  18. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    'Adjacent (365BB) thread', Lee ? You lost me !
    Could you, or somebody give me a link or a pointer in the right direction, please ?

19. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
  20. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #45 P4Replica, May 3, 2005
    Lee - if we are talking about the same 365 GT4/BB powered Norwood P4 replica ....
    This one has FIBREGLASS bodywork (as you correctly stated, supplied by Piper).
    The later Norwood P4's had aluminium bodywork, which looked slightly different.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The top replica in P4Replica's last post appears to be powered by a Boxer engine and gearbox ... weird!

Pete

22. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Pete. Note Lee's post #41:
    .... The significant letters being 365(GT4/)BB ....
    (This) The first Norwood P4 replica was based on a shortened Boxer chassis with fibreglass bodywork supplied by David Piper. The later series of Norwood P4 replicas used Norwood's own (small bore) tubular space-frame chassis, with various Ferrari 60 degree V-12's (usually based on 365's; 400's, etc - apart from the one with the Batten billet V-12) and variations on the Porsche G-50 transmission - Fitted with aluminium bodywork made by the late Raymond Chovanetz. See: http://www.mcautocreations.com/
    You have email. Enjoy the read .... :)

23. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    How many aftermarket ALUMINUM P3/4 type bodies do you think are still out there somewhere, on a chassis or just gathering dust in a barn somewhere?

24. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Not many, if any, in aluminium, Arlie .... but quite a few in fiberglass !

25. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    That first(on the left) P4-ish thing is actualy quite nice!