NA 12 cylinder rumor..550 vaules? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

NA 12 cylinder rumor..550 vaules?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by ReyF, Jun 19, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would sell my 575 for $78 with his 599 @ $98. Whole sale to wholesale what's fair is fair...

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  2. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    the 599 is asking $149k and its a 2007 which is too high, but I liked the spec, same seats as my 575.....anyways the overpriced 599 and low 575 trade in led me to add a mini I never even was planning on buying I have a sickness I really do, still a blast for under $25k, it goes like hell, I had driven an "S" before but this john cooper works is something to behold!

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    There is something special to being able to heel/toe downshift and hear that click of the Ferrari gated shifter. It is the way it used to be. It is pretty darn fun to race a 3 pedal but if you want to go fast F1/DCT sequential is the only way.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Takes about 20 minutes to learn how to drive a 3 pedal well enough to get around if you already know how to drive. A few years to learn how to really use it.

Boomhauer likes this.
  5. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #55 root, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Could it be you're not a accurate representative of your generation? How do you explain the premiums being paid for manual versions of the models listed in my previous post, and what demographic do you think is bidding them up? I think you're making too much of manual driving, and you're missing out on the experience especially when you say you love to learn. Not that difficult to learn, but as taz said, takes little to learn and a bit longer to do it right. I'm still trying to do it right and that's what makes it even more interesting and fun. No one formally "taught" me how to drive, but I drove my dad's '67 LeSabre and my uncle's '62 Impala both with 3 speed on the steering column at age 14. Had a lot of questions answered and dry runs shifting on my own before that.

6. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    You will never see a stradale nor a scud ever reach $1mil. I doubt you will ever see a speciale at a million either.

An analog , NA front engined ferrari with a V12 two seater stick, (and especially the 550) is a distinctly special car. I am not fanatical

about the car, it just seems obvious to me that it is a design and a set up worthy of the $mil marker. Even the SA (and yes I mean the

Super America) breaching the $1mil is representative of the breed and an indication of the potential value of the car across the line.

At this particular time, the classic car market faces three unprecedented challenges, (from a valuation point of view), a disinterested generation coming up and, the prospect of the electrification and self driving/uberization of cars. This potentially means that all but the most rare “gas job” car being of any value or consequence at all anyway. Maybe all gassers with be looked upon in the future as horseless obsolete carriages and the “dark age” time. However, if we are talking valuations based on traditional measure and merit, the 550 has the ingredients to join the 7 figure club. No question...

As FBB said, it’s the long nose 275 of our time.

7. YorkieV12

YorkieV12 Karting

May 23, 2014
    This discussion over 'stick' vs F1 will go on for ever; but your preferences in the USA are totally different to everywhere else...end of. As a result, pricing structures for each, over there, are equally different.
    Drove my 575M F1 here in the UK for the first time ever, last week. Awesome !.....a dream machine, and a 'keeper'. Never driven an F1 before, my other cars are mainly 'stick' or full autos. Horses for courses surely ? My choice of car was black everything (except the wheels) ...my favourite combination...I don't care what anyone else thinks of it. My choice, my cheque book; although I had much explaining to do to the lady wife. Approval was met, and all is well in the house ! (Someone recently posted that he waited for the 'right seats' before he bought a Maranello ? are you kidding? ) BUT, personal choice is subjective, I suppose...…..I never wanted a red one, so wouldn't even have gone to look at any price. So, that puts me in a minority to start with.....but I care not. We're having a beautiful summer over here, the sun is out, not a cloud in the sky, and I'm sure the 575 would love some exercise ?

8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    You think 32 year olds are the ones paying $300-400k for a manual? How many of us with that kind of money exist at this juncture? I know it takes no time to learn, but I’m saying I still have to learn somewhere and it’s tough to do so when nobody I know has a manual these days to practice on,again in Europe they still drive manuals frequently but here in the us you’re in a very small minority if you have a manual car today.

9. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i completely disagree. the SA is a special one off that sets its own valuation. you can buy 575s all day long under 100k$.

they are all worth considerably more that the base variants because they are special - just like their big dollar buyers.

are c3 vettes worth XXX$ because a 1 of x L88 corvette sold at BJ for big money ?

10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Wiki says 1,338 M's.

11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You should try rowing a 550 someday. You can leave it in third if you want to drive around town. The car has that much torque. But rowing the gears may be the thing I miss the most about mine. I drove a 575 with flippers and was not impressed. What's the point?

Il Tifoso and Shark01 like this.
  12. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I love the stick on my 360, but I think paddles may be better for a 2+2 touring car. Having the auto mode for when you're stuck in traffic would be nice on long trips.

Agree that I'd rather have a 550 than an F1 575M.

Shark01 likes this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My point is you don't need an auto in a Maranello. Just left it in third. Besides what are doing getting stuck in traffic in a Maranello? I always drove mine at daybreak on Sunday morning.

Il Tifoso and Shark01 like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I tour on/in any vehicle I buy. :)

Yes the V12 torque is amazing.

Texas Forever likes this.
  15. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    #65 F355 Fan 82, Jun 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    The point is if car nuts like me are 32 and dont know how to drive a stick, how/why will values sustain in 40 years? Yes one could say well we might be out of gas by then, but when you have a whole generation of americans coming up where nobody knows how to drive a stick, even enthusiasts, you might have a problem moving them once gentlemen who love and and are overpaying for them now have moved onto heaven.......

Is it tough to drive a stick? No, my dad taught me when I was 16 years old and in a few minutes I had the car moving, obviously not properly but I was driving around without issues. I haven't done it in 15+ years now but Im sure I could get it, but I wouldnt practice on a 550 I just picked up. Would I get one now? Sure, but I'd need practice of a few weeks/months on some car before I could. I have to go rent a manual, do they even do that? With clutch damage I'd imagine its rare. I could go buy a cheap manual and practice, but Im fine with the F1, its a cool system. Is it less than a manual, sure, but does it make a Ferrari less enjoyable? No it doesnt. Manuals are awesome Im sure, but I dont know what percent of society under 35 knows how to drive one in the US, I would imagine well under 3% and thats a high estimate, of that 3% how many want a manual Ferrari? I don't know but I do know that 100% of people can drive a 575 and there's a handful of them, while there's MORE 550's that a smaller percent of society can even drive and that number shrinks everyday......

There's a reason Ferrari doesn't make sticks anymore and that reason is the DCT is much better,quicker, and simpler, it allows the brand to sell more cars..

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The nice thing about a 550 is you won't need any practice. Just keep in mind you're not working a Miata clutch. A 550 has tough springs. But the car has so much torque it is a piece of cake. The key is understanding the engagement point. You don't need to slip it. Just shift it.

17. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The point is that the 550 has the cred to be a 7 figure car. By extension, the SA would be a more expensive 7 figure car and perhaps reach 8 figures in relation or respectively.
    The 575 F1 May continue to trail but I believe those too will appreciate respectably.

18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    So, I like your appreciation, but in a long enough timeline, a manual 575M is going to be priceless, just as GTO's are about to be. I must admit to not understanding the end game here. :)

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I'd buy this right now if it was 25 years old....

20. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Being realistic... “priceless” is a big word that I do t use and Expressed is my opinion only. Personally I don’t care what they are worth but as a lifelong car guy and appreciator of all fine things... I only offer my opinion.

I drive the poo poo out of the cars, to my, and apparently to the cars appreciation.

G. Pepper likes this.
  21. p1turbo

p1turbo Formula Junior

May 21, 2009
    san francisco
    I think the more popular "manual" gearboxes in 15-20 years just might be the first generation F1 where there is some loss on inertia during the shift...like a (actual) manual...as opposed to DCT which are so fast, you don't "feel" the shifting. My 04 575 now has 80K miles on it and I love the F1.

Agree w F355...believe the herd will thin for true manuals in future.

F355 Fan 82 likes this.
  22. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Missing one easy factor to pinpoint.....there is MUCH more demand for the sport models than the GT cars.

23. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    not just that, but remember those 1800 F1 575 coupes have the earliest F1 system put in a ferrari v12 road car and just like you said its archaic and feels different. The f12 was the best car I've ever driven but it shifted so smoothly it may as well have been a rolls royce, its nice to get a little kick in the rear to remind you you're in a sports car. The clarkson and damon hill top gear with the 575 vs the vanquish damon hill says something like "I've never been in a road car where my head just gets thrown back" and he was talking about the 575 F1 and how it drives/shifts. The new F cars are awesome but the earliest F1 cars will forever be archaic bc the new ones shift like gems.

24. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Well Ferrari is satisfying that, they made what 20,000 458's, 15,000+ 430 and 360's and just 2000 575's and 3000 550's.......it wont be hard to find a mid engine v8 car down the road....

25. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Decades away....probably outlawed before the demand goes away.